• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

Smithy

I add a few pics of original oak leave pattern parkas so you can compare it to my nestof repro. Note the texture of the cloth, the belt, the stamps and the way the belt was secured in the back...View attachment 84939View attachment 84939View attachment 84940View attachment 84941View attachment 84942View attachment 84943

Great link and photos Enigma. That is an issued parka and one which has been used, albeit I wouldn't bet against it having been lightly cleaned. You can see the staining and wear. Also in areas where it has experienced high wear the camouflage pattern is being worn down.

Lovely link and the same as the two originals I was lucky enough to look at, although they were far dirtier and knocked around.

EDIT: Sorry Enigma I called you Kermit in this post but have corrected it!

Last edited:

Smithy

Just been digging through some stuff and books I had and thought I'd add it here as I thought it could be useful.

In terms of originals:

- Outer fabric on both M1942 and M1944 patterns was cotton or rayon or a mix. This obviously leads to slight differences in outer shell appearance on originals.

- Inner lining on both patterns was Reizwolle.

- Was initially issued in 3 different weights: light; medium; and heavy. I haven't been able to ascertain whether this was the same for the M1944 pattern. It's just a guess but the M1944 seems to have been issued in autumn 1944 and I'd be inclined (due to how the war was going, lack of resources and the rest of it) that it was issued only in the heavy weight. Not very scientific but all the original Sumpf pattern 44s I have seen online have appeared to be the heavy weight version.

- The difference between the 42 and 44 pattern is that the 44 introduced reinforcement patches on the elbows and "darts" were included in the tailoring of the hood to make it "sit" better.

As far as I can ascertain from the books I have these features were the same for Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS versions.

HTH and adds to the thread!

Tim

ausreenactor

I think 1942 to 1943 was chaos for the Wehrmacht and W-SS Burt on the Eastern Front. I imagine the potato-mashers got a quick coat of paint whilst other equipment was being given a "winter" update.

It's a terrific photo though and one of the best from the period.
The Russo Finnish War was the big catalyst to painting kit... The Russians stood out and paid the price....

The original 'white privilege' perhaps...

ausreenactor

Nobody has even done the whole "keep it and we'll send you the right one" especially with something as big as a helmet. I've bought a lot of stuff from them and will continue to do so because of that attitude they have to satisfying customers. Second to none.
ATF let me keep a $39 OD Officers Garrison Cap and shipped the Green Wool version a few years back... was chuffed.

asiamiles

I can only compare the jacket to pix, as I have never handled an original. that said, the sof jacket looks to be spot on. the weight is appx 2 kilos [5 pounds], so it has heft without being cumbersome. the cotton twill material is a medium weight canvas type material, and feels as though it will have a long life of real wear.
Does anyone know how the weight of the parka compares to the German M43 tunic?

Can anyone ID this as an M43 or an M-44 or...? The presence of chest pockets and seeming lack of hood rule out it being a parka?

stopping.jpg

Pilot

Does anyone know how the weight of the parka compares to the German M43 tunic?

Can anyone ID this as an M43 or an M-44 or...? The presence of chest pockets and seeming lack of hood rule out it being a parka?

View attachment 85158
IMHO : Post war so called BGS parka or jacket
Plenty of them available on ebay.de and other sites.

asiamiles

Enigma1938

anyone know where I can find a blurred edge camo + white belt for one of these parkas?

Enigma1938

You know that original belts were field grey - white only. Camouflaged ones are a invention of modern repro makers.