• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

Smithy

Tim and Pilot, yes I know that one but the image I am referring is another one and not from the POW series. I will try to find it on my B/U HD.

But like you said and for the benefit of others, I did find these quite easily as they have been shared and studied quite a lot I guess.

View attachment 85211

View attachment 85212

View attachment 85213

View attachment 85214

And a last one new to me and really interesting, Russian soldier posing with a Luger and Lieber trousers... Probably somewhere in Germany and I'd dare say Berlin...

View attachment 85215

Regards,

Dany

I'd seen two of the POW ones but hadn't seen the others.

Many thanks for posting those Dany!

Pilot

Hi Dany
I stand corrected!
I learned again!
Thanks a lot.
B5B5F87A-8C7B-416B-8A0B-92406A0BEE26.jpeg
B4925E0F-FC66-4027-9D57-D09567B62031.jpeg

Dany McDonald

stand corrected!
I learned again!

Pilot, no worries man, I also learned a couple of things and its always fun to share, but I am a bit rusted with German stuff.

I always like to read personal accounts while reading on the equipment and deployment. German soldiers were always very vocal about their equipment and logistical problems or success.

Dany

Smithy

Tim,

And this one is also very handy when identifying of searching, you probably know about it too.

Camouflage Uniforms of the German Wehrmacht.

Dany

Hi Dany, if it's this one, then they also have that in the library/archive...

51Qr7NDPa5L.jpg

Another excellent book. I don't work at the museum anymore but I'm allowed into the library whenever I wish but saying that I really should buy these books for my own library ;)

Dany McDonald

Tim, yep that's the one. Sounds like you have a very nice library at the museum, you're a lucky guy!

Both books maybe a bit old but the basic research is phenomenal and based on original docs and garments.
New information and concepts have surface in the last decade but they are a reference to have on one's bookshelf for sure.

Dany

B-Man2

Hi Dany, if it's this one, then they also have that in the library/archive...

51Qr7NDPa5L.jpg

Another excellent book. I don't work at the museum anymore but I'm allowed into the library whenever I wish but saying that I really should buy these books for my own library ;)
Tim
An off topic question but when I was there in Norway I went to the “ Resistance Museum” in Oslo. Is that the museum you used to work at ? Probably not because your miles from it but I thought I’d ask anyway .

Smithy

Tim, yep that's the one. Sounds like you have a very nice library at the museum, you're a lucky guy!

Both books maybe a bit old but the basic research is phenomenal and based on original docs and garments.
New information and concepts have surface in the last decade but they are a reference to have on one's bookshelf for sure.

Dany

They have a really impressive library and archive there with a myriad of books and original documents Dany. Although technically an aviation museum, they had a remarkable amount of reference material on ground forces during the war and especially German which I imagine is in no small part due to the Norwegians who fought with the German forces. This has been a thorny subject historically but over recent years there's been a growing interest in it and about how the situation wasn't perhaps as black and white as what was assumed. Very complicated period of history and one which is only really being spoken and seriously researched now.
An off topic question but when I was there in Norway I went to the “ Resistance Museum” in Oslo. Is that the museum you used to work at ? Probably not because your miles from it but I thought I’d ask anyway .

No Burt, I worked for the national aviation museum in northern Norway. The Resistance Museum down in Oslo is excellent though!

Kermit3D

I'm very busy with work these days so I don't have much time for the forum. There were some very interesting things shared and I learned a lot, thanks for that!

I received my parka (Nestof), it took 4 days, pretty fast.
In a word : It's awesome ! I am very pleasantly surprised. The fit is great, the quality is top notch... I will not say more because I plan to do a full review. :)

Enigma1938

I'm very busy with work these days so I don't have much time for the forum. There were some very interesting things shared and I learned a lot, thanks for that!

I received my parka (Nestof), it took 4 days, pretty fast.
In a word : It's awesome ! I am very pleasantly surprised. The fit is great, the quality is top notch... I will not say more because I plan to do a full review. :)
Superb, just PM me with your adress so I can send you the spareparts.

Smithy

As promised here are some pics of my ATF parka. This is what is designated the M1944 pattern and in M1943 Sumpftarn (marsh pattern).

Click on the pics for big pics although they were taken with my mobile phone. Also bear in mind that I live inside the Arctic Circle and daylight is fading fast here and the sun doesn't rise terribly high in the sky at this time of year so these were taken inside under artificial light.

I also forgot to take a detail photo of the "darts" in the hood which is a feature of this later M1944 version.

8rngWF8.jpg

6mDFDtj.jpg

m44Cm0R.jpg

rljPExE.jpg

eYkumUX.jpg

0feg01v.jpg

Vusgyqq.jpg

pOHpp0i.jpg

Last edited:

FlakMagnet

I'm almost tempted to buy this repro parka in splinter camo from Americana Pipedream, but alas, we're heading into summer here in the Antipodes. Maybe next winter if Management (the Lady) will allow for it :D

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 11.51.05 PM.png