• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

Dany McDonald

Hello Enigma,

On some occasions, you will find Oakleaf A pattern parka with the belt matching the camo and white. Don't know if it was the same with other variants. But like you said it was usually a grey-green belt on two sides.

The idea itself of a reversible garment was not necessarily the best of ideas all the time. The hood was often removed as the white part was too visible when camouflaged. The camo effect was nullified and could result in high casualties. The belt would produce the same effect when white. Another criticism by the troop was that the garment was not effective in snow condition when the white side was too soiled...

Hope this is relevant!

Dany

Last edited:

Pilot

Hello Enigma,

On some occasions, you will find Oakleaf A pattern parka with the belt matching the camo and white. Don't know if it was the same with other variants. But like you said it was usually a grey-green belt on two sides.

The idea itself of a reversible garment was not necessarily the best of ideas all the time. The hood was often removed as the white part was too visible when camouflaged. The camo effect was nullified and could result in high casualties. The belt would produce the same effect when white. Another criticism by the troop was that the garment was not effective in snow condition when the white side was too soiled...

Hope this is relevant!

Dany
The hood was folded in, but not removed…. since it was surely needed in another instance…

Enigma1938

Sure it is relevant. Like with every Army around the germans had also their Riggers and field tailors who produced a big variety of stuff of all kinds like clothing, bags, gloves, caps etc. I can only assume that there were some custom made parka belts too.

Dany McDonald

Never saw one photo or report about that

Hello Pilot,

I know I used to say that about WW2 gear, especially late german armor color and scheme, until like you said I found answers in the books or forums.
Ex: I remember when it was thought that Liebermuster pattern was never used in combat, just experimental. Then one day a guy found an image of soldiers riding the back of a truck and one was wearing a garment made with Liebermuster...

Some examples of modified hoods can be found on page 254, "German Uniforms of the Waffen SS".

Hope this is clearer...

Dany

Last edited:

Pilot

Hello Pilot,

I know I used to say that about WW2 gear, especially late german armor color and scheme, until like you said I found answers in the books or forums.
Ex: I remember when it was thought that Liebermuster pattern was never used in combat, just experimental. Then one day a guy found an image of soldiers riding the back of a truck and one was wearing a garment made with Liebermuster...

Some examples of modified hoods can be found on page 254, "German Uniforms of the Waffen SS".

Hope this is clearer...

Dany
Thanks Dany
please kindly share, as I dont have this book , guess I am not the only one.

Pilot

Agree with you on the Leibermuster… in service after Feb.1945.. and extremely rarely seen in combat… but seen during the last calls arround the baltics , Berlin and Seelower Höhen.
F1AA23D2-426A-4D99-BA4D-962108733A0C.jpeg
9840886D-68DD-4674-9850-F19DC3E646E7.jpeg
39DA87B5-2F14-425C-A33E-3F8E7EBD3B4A.jpeg

Smithy

Agree with you on the Leibermuster… in service after Feb.1945.. and extremely rarely seen in combat… but seen during the last calls arround the baltics , Berlin and Seelower Höhen.View attachment 85197View attachment 85198View attachment 85199

Many thanks for posting that Brice.

One of the things I got interested in with my museum work was the development of camouflage and especially Waffen-SS camouflage and it's legacy on camouflage in the post war years.

I find it fascinating now that after many modern dalliances with things like digi-cam and the like, many modern, advanced militaries are going back to the "dot and splotch" types of camouflage as can be seen in Multi-Cam which is a direct evolution from German (and specifically Waffen-SS) camouflage developments 80 years ago.

Waffen-SS camouflage was exceedingly effective in many cases and especially as can be seen with the reversible summer and autumn smocks.

I find it a really fascinating subject.

Smithy

For others' benefit Dany I imagine you're referring to this photo...

leibermuster_04.jpg

I've seen two others with Liebermuster camo, both were of POWs. I'm sure you've seen them but it might be worth someone posting them for other members (I don't have the photos but I'll have a look online).

Dany McDonald

Agree with you on the Leibermuster… in service after Feb.1945.. and extremely rarely seen in combat… but seen during the last calls arround the baltics , Berlin and Seelower Höhen.

For others' benefit Dany I imagine you're referring to this photo...

Tim and Pilot, yes I know that one but the image I am referring is another one and not from the POW series. I will try to find it on my B/U HD.

But like you said and for the benefit of others, I did find these quite easily as they have been shared and studied quite a lot I guess.

Liebermunster01.jpg

Liebermunster02.jpg

Liebermunster03.jpg

Liebermunster05.jpg

And a last one new to me and really interesting, Russian soldier posing with a Luger and Lieber trousers... Probably somewhere in Germany and I'd dare say Berlin...

Liebermunster06.jpg

Regards,

Dany

Dany McDonald

Thanks Dany
please kindly share, as I dont have this book , guess I am not the only one.

Did you just not post image's from the said book in your post about Lieber...

Look on page 254.

If not I will post it later, as I am away at the moment.

Dany

Last edited:

Pilot

Did you just not post image's from the said book in your post about Lieber...

Look on page 254.

If not I will post it later, as I am away at the moment.

Dany
I am not at my EU home now ( in Luxemburg ) where the books are.
I have to ask a collector friend ( he has similar books like me ).