• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

Kermit3D

I dunno where exactly they have taken the measurement. After inspecting my parka again I'm sure the size II is the most suitable for you.
The Belt is the replacement, the only correct one I was able to find in the whole wide web.
Have to change the sleeve straps too one day if I have the time.
I guess you don't have the feeling that sleeves are too short ? It seems to me that you are tall too.
Well, it might be a bit roomy in the body but after all, it's a parka, it's not as awkward as on a cyclist jacket.

Enigma1938

I guess you don't have the feeling that sleeves are too short ? It seems to me that you are tall too.
Well, it might be a bit roomy in the body but after all, it's a parka, it's not as awkward as on a cyclist jacket.
True !
I actually wanted to order the grey parka from nestof too a while back but this version wasn't available for a long time.
I can also recommend the german boots they are selling, have a pair of their own brand M37 low boots and love them

Smithy

Does anyone have any info on the type of blanket materials that were used in the originals Vs the repros.

Burt, originals were not blanket lined. They were lined with "Reizwolle" which is a felt like, loosely woven mixture of wool, cotton and rayon. As far as I know, no repros use Reizwolle. I can't speak for other repros but I will say my ATF one feels like the same weight and has the same heft, feel to it as the two originals I was fortunate enough to have a look at.

And Kermit, congrats on the order, looking forward to seeing some pics when it turns up!

Smithy

I can also recommend the german boots they are selling, have a pair
of their own brand M37 low boots and love them

Many thanks Enigma.

I've wanted a pair of German low boots with hobnails for awhile now but couldn't pull the trigger on the ATF ones as the shipping is utterly insane to Europe. The Nestof ones look an excellent option. Pleased that you have to blacken them like originals too.

Smithy

Sorry I'm going off topic here but the boot thing reminded me...

Apart from the German parkas, another brilliant German WWII thing I use are Gamaschen. They are leggings which you wear with low boots to keep moisture, dirt etc out. Our cottage/cabin in the mountains has a lot of swamp and moorland round it and I can thoroughly recommend picking up Gamaschen if you do a lot of hiking in woodland, moorland, boggy areas. I use mine all the time.

I bought mine from ATF which are actually original German ones with new leather straps.

Brilliant bit of kit.

Here's the link to the ATF ones I picked up:

https://www.atthefront.com/product-p/gbgbltx.htm

asiamiles

The belt is not stitched through in the back, and though I have not tried, I assume it can be pulled through. It is camo on one side and white on the other, and will go through holes on both sides of the front.
Cheers! It seems odd that originals were stitched at the back as both belt and jacket seem designed for the belt to be worn white side out when the jacket is reversed.

ausreenactor

...I should add that I haven't handled one but those parkas from the Czech Panther website are highly spoken of on some German militaria and reenactment boards.
Their Commonwealth BD sets are peerless..... IF you can get a set... Would expect the same of their other products.

Enigma1938

Cheers! It seems odd that originals were stitched at the back as both belt and jacket seem designed for the belt to be worn white side out when the jacket is reversed.
There are two openings for the belt on the outside and the inside of the parka.
So if you want to wear it with the white side out you just have to stick the ends through the openings on the white side.

Enigma1938

I add a few pics of original oak leave pattern parkas so you can compare it to my nestof repro. Note the texture of the cloth, the belt, the stamps and the way the belt was secured in the back... Screenshot_20221022-081101_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221022-081101_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221022-081235_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221022-081335_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221022-081448_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221022-081454_Chrome.jpg

Chandler

There are two openings for the belt on the outside and the inside of the parka.
So if you want to wear it with the white side out you just have to stick the ends through the openings on the white side.
This doesn't explain the observation of the original belts being stitched in place.

Chandler

I think I'm getting the idea -- so the belt utilizes a common channel that has slots on either side to fit the belt ends through -- depending on which way you want to use it.

I thought there was a channel on each side and you needed to slip the belt into whichever side you were wearing.

The common channel would also make it easy to cinch the belt on the inside of the coat -- much the same as the M-43 & M-65 waist drawstrings.