• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

Kermit3D

In addition to the flight jackets, I had a very ordinary parka (Quechua) but very useful to protect me from the wind and the rain. I stupidly forgot it one evening in a pub (probably a little too much beer warmed me up, and I didn't think about taking my parka to go back home...).
Anyway, I need a new parka.

Instead of buying a modern, cheap, and practical garment, why not buy a reproduction of an old, expensive, less practical but terribly cool parka? I am sure you understand me... (my wife still can't get used to it).

While doing some research on WWII parkas, I stopped on German parkas. I don't want an N3B or N2B parka to go on a trip to the North Pole (I do, but I don't need one).
I would like a parka that does not immediately suggest its military affiliation. In its mouse grey color, the German parka ticks all the boxes. I really like German parkas with the typical late war camouflage color, but it's immediately recognizable as a German army garment, and personally that's not what I'm looking for.

I created this thread to share our experiences about German parkas (mouse grey or camouflage color, it doesn't matter). I will also share my research.

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Here is a list of reproductions available on the market that I could find. Feel free to add to it if you know of any others :

• SM wholesale offers very high quality parkas. Great camouflage colors are also available.

• At the front makes a great parka, with an excellent price/quality ratio (also camouflage color). Unfortunately no longer available.

• Epic militaria offers two reproductions (also camouflage color). One is a bit more expensive than the other... but I can't say more about the quality.

• Soldier of Fortune (camouflage colors are also available)

• The History Bunker (camouflage colors are also available)

• Militaria Net

• Panther Shop

• Nestof

• Hessen Antique

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi Kermit
I previously owned a S&W Wholesale camo German parka that I purchased from CBI . It was reversible with Cano on one side and white snow Camo color on the other. It was well constructed and fairly heavy for cold weather wear. I sold it to a friend who was crazy about it and I immediately had sellers remorse. ATF usually has some at a cheaper price but it looks like they are either completely sold out or no longer carry them . I’m not sure what’s going on with them.

Smithy

Kermit, I'd send Rollin at ATF an email saying that you're interested in purchasing a grey reversible parka. It might be on his radar already for a reissue. He has done several runs and I'd be very surprised if they're not on his "to do" list as they've been very popular sellers.

B-Man2

I've worn mine up at the cottage/cabin in the mountains in very cold weather, and layered with woollens underneath it will keep you very toasty.
Tim
I know that you worked in a military museum at one point in your career, did you ever have an opportunity to handle on of the original captured SS parkas that you mentioned in one of your earlier posts ?

“FLY EAGLES FLY”” :)

Smithy

Tim
I know that you worked in a military museum at one point in your career, did you ever have an opportunity to handle on of the original captured SS parkas that you mentioned in one of your earlier posts ?

“FLY EAGLES FLY”” :)

They had two when I was there - one was from the Army Museum and had been on loan for some reason, the other was from somewhere else (I don't think it was part of the permanent collection either). Both were Waffen-SS (museums here often try to cover the Norwegian volunteers in the Waffen-SS) so W-SS camo - autumn on one side and white on the reverse, one or both were the "Oakleaf" pattern. They were very grubby (unsurprisingly) and heavy. This is just from memory and nothing else but the ATF parkas feel of a similar weight.

Some repros like the one I had back in the 00s was terrible and very "puffy". Stay away from those.

Pilot

As far as I know, the „Mausgraue Wendejacke“ …
„ mouse grey parka „ only exists on recent selling websites.
Here a few photos of the blue grey Luftwaffe Wendejacke …
Never saw nor heard of any other authentic WW2 item in a similar shade… but maybe I missed something.
Just for details comparison.
E98CE0C2-BA94-475E-A0A0-1882F03C94B3.jpeg
13737D6C-0952-4C2C-922C-C2B324B476B7.jpeg
338AFCBC-44D9-4684-B2CE-F3297EC11452.jpeg
E1349073-B376-4AB0-A18F-D9358A54C3E4.jpeg

Greetings from Korea.
18C3D2BE-893E-4350-92DF-4148D58C9067.jpeg

Smithy

As far as I know, the „Mausgraue Wendejacke“ …
„ mouse grey parka „ only exists on recent selling websites.
Here a few photos of the blue grey Luftwaffe Wendejacke …
Never saw nor heard of any other authentic WW2 item in a similar shade… but maybe I missed something.
Just for details comparison.View attachment 84706View attachment 84707View attachment 84708View attachment 84709
Greetings from Korea.View attachment 84710

Hi Brice,

I think the whole "Mouse grey" thing is one of those things cooked up postwar to give a descriptive name to German colours used during the war, in the same way Oakleaf, Planetree, etc are used to describe Waffen-SS camouflage patterns when no such names existed or were used by the Germans during the War.

I think this Mouse grey thing is just a way to describe the M1942 reversible white/Feldgrau one. It would have been much easier (and far less confusing) to just call it Feldgrau or field grey IMHO rather than making up another name for the colour.

Cheers,

Tim

Chandler

I've wanted one of these parkas for a long time (another cinema influence on cool), but couldn't bring myself to ever buy one -- the plain color field gray on one side wouldn't be bad, but any of the full-on camo would be a little too stand-out for me.

Add to that the button-up closure and cloth waist tie, and the whole deal is just a little too cumbersome for me -- nevermind the oversized hood (meant to fit over a helmet) that is less than practical.

But yeah... they're still cool looking. ;)

Chandler

Hi Kermit
I previously owned a S&W Wholesale camo German parka that I purchased from CBI . It was reversible with Cano on one side and white snow Camo color on the other. It was well constructed and fairly heavy for cold weather wear. I sold it to a friend who was crazy about it and I immediately had sellers remorse. ATF usually has some at a cheaper price but it looks like they are either completely sold out or no longer carry them . I’m not sure what’s going on with them.
Burt, I think ATF is having major supplier issues with production and delivery. Their parkas look about the best -- even when they started using fleece linings over blanket wool.

Smithy

Add to that the button-up closure and cloth waist tie, and the whole deal is just a little too cumbersome for me -- nevermind the oversized hood (meant to fit over a helmet) that is less than practical.

I've never found any of those features troublesome. The button closure is actually genius as you can easily adjust the amount that the parka is buttoned up depending on the temperature and what you are doing in it. I often if I'm working and bending down have the lower buttons open.

The hood is large but by no means a problem. I'm usually wearing a cap of beanie and it's no bother. Due to the nature of the fabric (it's thick) you can easily squash it so it fits and is comfortable.

Maybe you should actually try wearing one. They're excellent parkas.

Burt, I think ATF is having major supplier issues with production and delivery. Their parkas look about the best -- even when they started using fleece linings over blanket wool.

The fleece linings are excellent, warm but without the issues that the original Reizwolle have. As I mentioned above the fleece makes the parka have the same heft as the originals.

I've said it here before but easily one of the best jackets/coats I own and probably the most practical.

Silver Surfer

imo, none of these worn in public, in any of the Camo patterns would be an issue since %95 of the public have no idea as to what they were [are], or who they were worn by, or when. I might even get one of the "where eagles dare" versions.

Smithy

imo, none of these worn in public, in any of the Camo patterns would be an issue since %95 of the public have no idea as to what they were [are], or who they were worn by, or when. I might even get one of the "where eagles dare" versions.

I've worn mine here in Norway and nobody has batted an eyelid. Saying that camo clothing and ex-military clothing is very visible here when folk go up in the mountains or on hunting trips.

I gave my mother-in-law's husband a M43 pattern Wehrmacht cap (without badges) a few years back and he uses it all the time up in the mountains and when hunting.

Just good kit being well used.

Silver Surfer

funny you should mention it, back in the day, I would wear my original m43 in the winter, as it had fold down ear flaps. only insignia as I remember was a circle inside of a circle on the front. the only odd looks I got was from the porcelli bros, who were geezers that owned the local butcher shop. they never said a word though.

Last edited:

Smithy

funny you should mention it, back in the day, I would wear my original m43 in the winter, as it had fold down ear flaps. only insignia as I remember was a circle inside of a circle on the front. the only odd looks I got was from the porcelli bros, who were geezers the owned the local butcher shop. they never said a word though.

They're terrific caps Vic. They're not a million miles from the current Norwegian cap which isn't entirely dissimilar so wearing a M43 no-one bats an eyelid.