• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Pa12

Wow. We must have lived different lifestyles (different genes?). I'm 63 and I'm always encouraged with how good I'm feeling for my age.

Fortunately, you can't feel high blood pressure. :rolleyes: Would love to kick that to the curb.
Me too. And I know it’s directly related to my weight. Too much junk, weight goes up, bp goes up. Lay off the crap, weight comes down, bp comes down.

Pa12

Wow. We must have lived different lifestyles (different genes?). I'm 63 and I'm always encouraged with how good I'm feeling for my age.

Fortunately, you can't feel high blood pressure. :rolleyes: Would love to kick that to the curb.
I blame a lot of it on 35 plus years of midnight shifts. Feel like I haven’t had a good sleep in 35 years. I’ve already told the wife, when I go you can inscribe on my stone “finally, a good sleep “:D:p

bseal

The guys with more seniority here such as Grant and Vic can fact check me on this, but years before I joined this forum, it was known as “ The Dead Horse Society” . Not sure how that came into being, but it featured mostly original A2’s and Flight jackets in general. Point being is that the name didn’t really relate to the subjects or the topics being presented . Thus the name change to VLJ, which at the time was a big step forward made to advance the agenda of the forum and to be more inclusive of vintage leather jackets of ALL types and styles. Over the years military flight jackets dominated the discussions and civilian vintage leather jackets got left behind . Maybe we as a group don’t really need a name change, but rather to rethink the original purpose for the name change to VLJ and be more inclusive toward civilian vintage leather jackets . Just a thought.
IMG_2585.gif

Smithy

Honestly I don't think all of this is worth worrying about too much. People come, people go. Such is the nature of life. This is merely an internet forum and probably as such a slowly dying thing. All the kids today want Tiktok and Snapthingy and all the rest. Internet discussion boards are the reserve of us old-fashioned farts.

I enjoy the people here and the discussions so I try and pop by fairly regularly. With that said lip flapping about old jackets isn't my top interest so other interests hold more of my time.

In terms of the bagging ELC thing, I've had a few pops at them over their pricing and for that I'm guilty as charged. With that said I've mellowed on that front dramatically of late (as hopefully seen in my postings about them over the last year or more). My ELC Irvin is still my most loved jacket and I'd happily drop for an A-2 of theirs (maybe a 27752) if one in my size popped up. I'm a born again ELC fan boy.

Chandler

Me too. And I know it’s directly related to my weight. Too much junk, weight goes up, bp goes up. Lay off the crap, weight comes down, bp comes down.
If only. Stupid, different types of hypertension. I lost a lot of weight, been eating (consuming) well, got off the BP meds, but as I'm aging it seems like I can't regulate it. :confused:

Oh well, at least I can fit into my old suits! ;)

Pa12

If only. Stupid, different types of hypertension. I lost a lot of weight, been eating (consuming) well, got off the BP meds, but as I'm aging it seems like I can't regulate it. :confused:

Oh well, at least I can fit into my old suits! ;)
Well I think, to a degree, it’s a natural part of aging. Pipes narrowing, less pliable etc. I have an older brother who’s always been health conscious, healthy as a horse. His bp was always normal or a bit below. He’s coming up on 70 and started on bp meds.

Pa12

Honestly I don't think all of this is worth worrying about too much. People come, people go. Such is the nature of life. This is merely an internet forum and probably as such a slowly dying thing. All the kids today want Tiktok and Snapthingy and all the rest. Internet discussion boards are the reserve of us old-fashioned farts.

I enjoy the people here and the discussions so I try and pop by fairly regularly. With that said lip flapping about old jackets isn't my top interest so other interests hold more of my time.

In terms of the bagging ELC thing, I've had a few pops at them over their pricing and for that I'm guilty as charged. With that said I've mellowed on that front dramatically of late (as hopefully seen in my postings about them over the last year or more). My ELC Irvin is still my most loved jacket and I'd happily drop for an A-2 of theirs (maybe a 27752) if one in my size popped up. I'm a born again ELC fan boy.
I think with the price of shipping these days, coupled with taxes , duties etc are so high that it could be the determining factor as to which side of the pond you buy from.

B-Man2

:D… LoL!!
Man has this thread taken turn.
I’m the old fart of the group and I’m feeling older by the minute listening to you guys . I’ll hang out here a little longer until we get to the subject of prostates before I chime in … :D

Pa12

:D… LoL!!
Man has this thread taken turn.
I’m the old fart of the group and I’m feeling older by the minute listening to you guys . I’ll hang out here a little longer until we get to the subject of prostates before I chime in … :D
Hey now youngster, this is miserable old man talk happening. I doubt Jan is aspiring anymore ;)

Pa12

I believe we were trying to establish what constitutes vintage in regards to leather jackets.

Dumpster D

This place isn't cramped up with ads. Thank heavens.

Vintage is 20-40 years old. Antique is 50+ years old.

Time is fun when you're having flies.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Ya, like jumping on newbies for bringing up the same thing again when it has been discussed multiple times before. That said, we get the newbie coming in to ask what is my mall jacket worth? Then never seen again.

there is a point - maybe we tend too fast to an "elite-status" even though we're still the average guys next door

and i need to grab myself by the nose to also be impatient too fast with questions of a newbie

Thomas Koehle

My interest in jackets - while always buzzing on a certain level - does not fully align with my need to talk about them.

The latter seems to follow a sine wave: Sometimes I feel the need to post three or four times a day, sometimes I "have nothing to tell" for a week or two.

What I have noticed recently, is, that this wave length seems to get longer these days...

I sometimes think that this forum - at least for me - is showing some "wear and tear":
We only seem to have a certain amount of members who could deliver quality content with a constant frequency. I will not name anyone specifically, but we have members who still awe me with their frequent flow of pics of originals. Others are known for their written content and their kind (sometimes wise) words and they are the civilized heart and soul of this forum. And some others have the enthusiasm to collect and preserve information and make them available to the rest of us.

Well done, gentlemen (and one special lady ;) ), and thank you!

And then there is the other side of the medal:
The SPAM, the one-time-wonders with their 80s mall jackets (and no, it's not elitist to expect them to do their own research before registering here), the crusades against certain manufacturers (on both ends of the food-chain).

But it would definitely be unfair to blame it all on VLJ:
At 53, I am still full of different interests, and splitting time between family, travelling, guitars and (newly re-discovered) modeling aircraft is not an easy task :)

Ties

Simple description of a fact in a much better vocabulary than i have.

Fully support your statement

Southoftheborder

The guys with more seniority here such as Grant and Vic can fact check me on this, but years before I joined this forum, it was known as “ The Dead Horse Society” . Not sure how that came into being, but it featured mostly original A2’s and Flight jackets in general. Point being is that the name didn’t really relate to the subjects or the topics being presented . Thus the name change to VLJ, which at the time was a big step forward made to advance the agenda of the forum and to be more inclusive of vintage leather jackets of ALL types and styles. Over the years military flight jackets dominated the discussions and civilian vintage leather jackets got left behind . Maybe we as a group don’t really need a name change, but rather to rethink the original purpose for the name change to VLJ and be more inclusive toward civilian vintage leather jackets . Just a thought.
That was a pretty good name. It worked on a couple of levels as a self mocking pun, and as a way of signalling the interests of the forum in A2s while putting casual visitors off. Fine if you want to remain a tight small group of dedicated knowledgeable fans of a particular type of jacket....

I assume changing to Vintage Leather Jackets was to broaden it out and bring in new blood who were not just absorbed by US WWII service jackets to the exclusion of all else. But they are still the predominant focus of the forum nevertheless. Ken Calder was always banging on about this forum being too dedicated to military jackets and belying the forum name - since they weren't really his or Aero's focus, vintage civilian repros being more his thing.

But the military theme here has broadened out in time and the forum has become less and less about vintage clothing and more and more about general military and aviation subjects, while civilian vintage jackets get short shrift and new enquirers are pointed at TFL instead.

So either change to a name which reflects the current interests of the forum or try to get people who are not just military jacket obsessives involved.

Sideslip

Hi all

I may or may not be (don't want to flatter myself) one of the people referred to who has been somewhat absent from the forum these past weeks/months, primarily due to a perfect storm of work and personal/life matters which sucked a lot of energy to keep solid at work and taking care of the family, but hopefully the end of this phase in life is in sight.

I have been checking in although not commenting, and every check in is a validation of why this forum is such a great meeting of people from different backgrounds with a vast range of knowledge, expertise and humour. I either learn something knew or have food for thought at every visit. I wish I could offer more back, but perhaps that will come in time. Like all things in life, there are ebbs and flows of focus and interest. What I think is great is that there are many forum members who are younger, but either experts or interested in knowing much more detail about the jackets, beyond a passing insta or TT fad interest. I don't see there ever being a loss of interest in flying jackets, at least not for a while.

All the best

Christophe

CombatWombat

I don't come on here as much because my "interests" don't really align with this particular forum.

I like my motorbike and police leatherwear rather than...
A2's (too bloody uncomfortable and not useful in regards to pocket size)
And sherling/Irvin jackets AKA "Bloody Mammoth Skins" (which is inconceivable to wear in even the coldest parts of Australia)
There's little interest in what I like about jackets in here, so I mostly post in TFL where there is interesting information from TMitchell and other police jacket enthusiasts.......though that being said the crowd is much more amicable in here
EDIT: I'll definitely give two US flight jackets a positive.
The ANJ-3.....all the comfortable utility of the G-1 with a comfortable collar for humid weather.
The WEP jacket......because StarGate SG-1 :cool:

Last edited: