• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Enigma1938

Hi folks,
I noticed that over the last couple of weeks / months a big number of members vanished from this forum. Some were well known some not but its definitely noticeable.
Whatever their reasons are, I hope it has nothing to do with us or our behavior here.
What are your thoughts about?

Southoftheborder

People come and go. Most forums whatever their subject have a dedicated core of members who spend a lot of time there every day and a larger floating one who visit and who often drift away and return - and then don't.

Add to that the social media effect where a lot of traffic has gone and most forums whoever they are dedicated to seem to be in decline. I sometimes look in at places where I've been a member for years and most are not as busy as they were and it's only the off topic rooms that seem lively.

As regards forums like this I haven't visited its sister TFL much in recent years but when I looked in the other day it was just a few members posting in the clothing forums just like here.

bseal

I too have been doing my part with the cull but feel it’s had a limited effect.

1701612912985.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Lookin’ into myself things and environment changes - I’m talking about work eg and other “external influences”.

I recon on myself there is times I check for the forum 3 times a day - in other periods it is 3 times a week depending on the “other stuff” I have to deal with besides the “hobby”. New position and job - less sparetime for checking on the forum …

Personally I do not think that the “social networks” are a real “thread” for a forum like VLJ - we are so highly specified in the things that are discussed here there is no other spot that I would know you get info like here.

There is some FB-groups dealing with similar matters but is mostly to post pics and to get non specific feedback like “wow” - or “cool collection” very generic but nothing actually on the detail.

Well it is much easier for me to post on FB or INSTA but on the VLJ (or I maybe just too dumb to do) but other than that I prefer to exchange positions and info over here at VLJ coz the few are the ones that really recognise the “gems” from the mall-jackets.

Its just hilarious how people post photos of random mall-jackets and claim it’s a 100% vintage USN flight jacket worn by a Corsair-pilot over Guadalcanal …

Just a few facts that make sense in my opinion but off coarse no real explanation why some people obviously no longer post

Jtrob

perspective from a “newbie”.
found the forum while doing jacket research. I went from browsing the site to joining because the vide here is different in a positive way from other forums on I have been on for other hobbies. Members here are active, engaged, and generally have a good spirit for others. I also really appreciate how specific this group is on mostly military jackets and accessories.
i dont know the past, but wanted to share my perspective of “now” and its very positive!

Enigma1938

I see your points, I just wonder why former active members who were registered here since years and seemed enjoying and discussing jacket stuff here, posting 50 messages per week... why those guys almost vanish from one day to another and never return. I wonder what causes this (sometimes sudden) changes in interest / priorities.

Skyhawk

"Where have all the members gone?" Long time passing...
"Where have all the members gone?" Long time ago...
"Where have all the members gone?" Gone to Facebook everyone.
When when they ever learn? Oh when will they ever learn?

Thomas Koehle

Similar patterns in forums I have moderated and administered over the years. VLJ does seem to erring more and more toward more reproduction vintage jackets with a strong preference for certain producers rather than original vintage.

I see what you have in mind and partly support your opinion.

My interpretation of your statement is you might refer to 5Star as one of the repop-manufacturers that has been discussed frequently.

What I see oppose to your opinion is that some previously “repop-guys” have been brought back to the “bright side” and tend more to buy “real” rather than repro.

Since we had a few discussions especially i shifted in terms of “G1” jackets to originals but left repros aside (strongly influenced by Burt @B-Man2). Well G1 are still affordable oppose to A2 with prices still getting higher …

Last edited:

B-Man2

Read all of your comments with a great deal of interest . Been around here since 2009 and I’ve seen this forum run in cycles. Everything from scads of members to “ We few band of brothers”. If I had to try and to put some reasoning behind the rise and fall in membership I would attribute it to a couple of things .
1. We are no longer a “Vintage Jacket Forum”
We are essentially a repro jacket forum with an occasional vintage jacket popping up now and then.
2. When I first joined the forum, this was the place to come to for outstanding technical information on military jackets . There history, their makers history, stories about the development of the companies, locations of building, stories about people who worked there, etc. just go back about 7 or 8 years ago and compare the types of posts related to these subjects compared to what’s being posted today. We had comparisons of different contracts with photos to support the comparisons . Unfortunately today it’s mostly looking at recent repro purchases and posting a few oohs and ahhs. Nothing technical or really informative and interesting. I’m as guilty of this as anyone. I used to try to post those types of technical data posts with photos but I’ve gotten lazy. So that’s my opinion and take on the matter.
Sadly those who were really the main stay of the early “Vintage” jacket forum have long since moved on . So now it comes down to how to fix it? Unfortunately… I don’t know the answer. Maybe let’s try going back 7 or 8 years ago and finding some of those old posts and reposting them for the newer guys, so that they can get an idea of just how great this forum once was !!