• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Chandler

So … the standard is between 20 and 100 years old according to Wikipedia. Kind of a big range. If 20 years is their standard for vintage clothing that’s 2003. Hell most of what I own is vintage by that standard !:oops:
Yeah, seems a wide range -- if not a little vague by their definition.

I've also seen 40 years, so... probably no real standard.

FWIW -- the 505s I'm wearing today are probably 20 years old! And my Danner boots, too. ;)

ties70

My interest in jackets - while always buzzing on a certain level - does not fully align with my need to talk about them.

The latter seems to follow a sine wave: Sometimes I feel the need to post three or four times a day, sometimes I "have nothing to tell" for a week or two.

What I have noticed recently, is, that this wave length seems to get longer these days...

I sometimes think that this forum - at least for me - is showing some "wear and tear":
We only seem to have a certain amount of members who could deliver quality content with a constant frequency. I will not name anyone specifically, but we have members who still awe me with their frequent flow of pics of originals. Others are known for their written content and their kind (sometimes wise) words and they are the civilized heart and soul of this forum. And some others have the enthusiasm to collect and preserve information and make them available to the rest of us.

Well done, gentlemen (and one special lady ;) ), and thank you!

And then there is the other side of the medal:
The SPAM, the one-time-wonders with their 80s mall jackets (and no, it's not elitist to expect them to do their own research before registering here), the crusades against certain manufacturers (on both ends of the food-chain).

But it would definitely be unfair to blame it all on VLJ:
At 53, I am still full of different interests, and splitting time between family, travelling, guitars and (newly re-discovered) modeling aircraft is not an easy task :)

Ties

... And here I am, getting Likes for my post from exactly the guys I was referring to... So much for a German and his attempt at subtlety and discretion....

B-Man2

Perhaps we could define as vintage everything that preceded the end of the Vietnam War (before 1975)?
Just a suggestion.

I was born in 1983... I'd hate to see anything over 30 or even 40 years old defined as vintage. :rolleyes::D
Interesting commentary … I think all of these responses are pretty conclusive that we as a group have never really established a standard for what “Vintage” really means and what the term encompasses as far as jackets go.
What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

What's more Burt the age range in this conversation is broad but quite clearly unified by a real appreciation of what I'll call the great age of the leather jacket and the history in which those jackets fit.

mulceber

You say that now. Just wait. Enjoy it while you have it my son. Unlike a missing cat story, it never comes back.
Aye, but unless one of us has found the fountain of youth (Burt, I'm looking at you - Ponce De Lyon was active in your neck of the woods, wasn't he?), there's only one alternative to becoming an old-timer, and I don't want that! :oops:

B-Man2

Aye, but unless one of us has found the fountain of youth (Burt, I'm looking at you - Ponce De Lyon was active in your neck of the woods, wasn't he?), there's only one alternative to becoming an old-timer, and I don't want that! :oops:
Just please, no one say you’re as old as you feel. I’m 63. On a good day I feel 80. On a bad day I feel like they pulled the grass over my years the day before ;)
You two still have a lot of mileage left ;)

B-Man2

Can’t find an emoji for fingers crossed.
Here ya go …
tmp.gif

Chandler

Just please, no one say you’re as old as you feel. I’m 63. On a good day I feel 80. On a bad day I feel like they pulled the grass over my years the day before ;)
Wow. We must have lived different lifestyles (different genes?). I'm 63 and I'm always encouraged with how good I'm feeling for my age.

Fortunately, you can't feel high blood pressure. :rolleyes: Would love to kick that to the curb.