• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Pa12

And of course we’re all human. No matter how thick your bark is, something can be misconstrued, gets your blood up and your knickers in a twist and usually goes south from there. Normal human traits.

Smithy

Burt expresses it well. This is a chocolate versus vanilla thing.

I might be missing something here but I really don't understand how someone's enjoyment of something they bought and like can be diminished by contrary opinions on an internet forum. Most of us are grown men.

With all due respect to Warguy, I think a certain perspective is needed. Who cares if someone doesn't like something about a jacket you have, own and enjoy? If you like it then who cares what some other chap on the end of the internet thinks?

I have several jackets which I know aren't hugely popular here on VLJ. Is that going to stop me enjoying then? No bloody way!

That's just me though but I don't give a damn what others think if I happen to like something.

Micawber

Profound statement No 89;

In reality humans are essentially herd animals and as such like to fit in with the herd. If a member of the herd wishes to express a contrary viewpoint or even leave the herd for whatever reason their opinion or choice should be respected.

Bored of this. I have seen this kind of discussion is so many forums and groups [not many of which are or can be run on a democratic basis anyway].

CombatWombat

I'll drop a nuke on this whole conversation and say my $300 AUD no name brand A2 literally blows the "Big Boys" out the water!
It is perfect because it:
Doesn't have wonky stitching
Doesn't have mismatched panels of varied graininess
Does have uniform thickness
Does have uniform colour depth
And has actually been worn in combat :cool:
The fact people are arguing about this and that over one very specific type of flight jacket is asinine to the point of absurdity.
Literally noone outside of the forum would tell the difference between the war time makers....and certainly not between contracts from one maker to another!

We need to be supporting each other in this ludicrously expensive hobby (because our "better halves" gave up on our sanity years ago lol)

Micawber

Show an example of an Eastman with a genuine mouton collar. You can't.
I really have no wish to take up arms about this as I have other things to occupy my time but knock me down with a feather as purely by chance I just stumbled on this ELC B-10 while sauntering through the highways and byways of eBay UK this afternoon. Well knock me down with a feather thinks I, I had better make a note of that to post on the funny old navel gazing thread on that there VLC forum. So here it is. I submit it here with kindness and good wishes laced with pleasant incense to all.

Link

s-l1600.jpg
s-l64.jpg
s-l16003.jpg
s-l16002.jpg
s-l16003.jpg
s-l16004.jpg

ZuZu

I really have no wish to take up arms about this as I have other things to occupy my time but knock me down with a feather as purely by chance I just stumbled on this ELC B-10 while sauntering through the highways and byways of eBay UK this afternoon. Well knock me down with a feather thinks I, I had better make a note of that to post on the funny old navel gazing thread on that there VLC forum. So here it is. I submit it here with kindness and good wishes laced with pleasant incense to all.

Link

View attachment 130513View attachment 130515View attachment 130519View attachment 130521View attachment 130519View attachment 130523
Very nice. I actually like their B-10s sometimes. I guess absolutes can always be countered!

Pa12

Link

View attachment 130513View attachment 130515View attachment 130519View attachment 130521View attachment 130519View attachment 130523
What are the chances? Grab a lottery ticket while you’re out and about.

CombatWombat

Why....on....earth
Why would you want to wear sheepskin for o_O
It's incredibly uncomfortable and bulky to wear
You overheat in it just THINKING of do any physical activity in it
And it stinks after a day wearing it!
I personally like as little insulation as possible when I'm not hanging on for dear life to a motorbike or helicopter ramp

*experience as an Australian growing up with Ugg boots and sheepskin vests in the depths of what we call winter*

Lord Flashheart

I've not chipped into this thread because I don't have much to add to some of the comments above and I don't see the worth in spending my time expressing my disagreement with other posts. I do like my jackets, have spent more than it's sensible to on them but it's only one aspect of what I do so I try and I keep this place in perspective.

So it is a chocolate and vanilla thing. I happen, for example, to like my Ivybridge jackets and enjoy wearing them. If my sharing that with you here offends your sense of accuracy and detail then accept it's my choice. At least I've an interest in the the whole subject. Discuss historical detail by all means (and I've learnt loads about the history of leather jackets here - thank you everyone who has been part of that) but trampling over other peoples clothing choices or opinions isn't going to keep the Forum alive. And I do realise that as social animals we tend to want acceptance or validation from "the group" whoever or whatever they may be.

There's a related question to the original post that's just as important: "Where are all the new members going to come from?"

One thing I came here for was knowledge. I did read a lot of past threads before ever posting and I'm still learning. I'd miss it if it disappeared. And I think there's more we could do to spark interest. It's why I posted this:

"Ask not what your Forum can do for you but what can you do for your Forum"?