• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Pa12

The guys with more seniority here such as Grant and Vic can fact check me on this, but years before I joined this forum, it was known as “ The Dead Horse Society” . Not sure how that came into being, but it featured mostly original A2’s and Flight jackets in general. Point being is that the name didn’t really relate to the subjects or the topics being presented . Thus the name change to VLJ, which at the time was a big step forward made to advance the agenda of the forum and to be more inclusive of vintage leather jackets of ALL types and styles. Over the years military flight jackets dominated the discussions and civilian vintage leather jackets got left behind . Maybe we as a group don’t really need a name change, but rather to rethink the original purpose for the name change to VLJ and be more inclusive toward civilian vintage leather jackets . Just a thought.
Dead horse society. Cool handle. Jackets or not , that’s intriguing enough I would have clicked on it to see what it’s all about.

B-Man2

Here’s a question that I think needs to be addressed ………when is a jacket or an item of clothing considered to be “Vintage”?
We all seem to have a general idea of meaning of the word but, is there a definitive amount of time where one can say this item is vintage ? Is it 20 or 25 or 30 years old?
I ask because we seem to view vintage as WWII dated items when in fact that was 80 years ago and I think vintage is much sooner than that .. say 25 years ago . I’m not trying to derail this thread, but if we’re thinking about a possible name change to this forum, we might want to be in agreement as to what constitutes a “vintage jacket “.

ZuZu

I know this is going to offend some folks, but the question has been asked so I am going to say it anyway. I dont frequent or at least enjoy this forum as much as I used to simply because so many posts now bash Eastman and their products. I simply have grown weary of discussions going on an on and on about their prices, and in some cases their product. I am an Eastman fan and will remain so, although I recognize that Goodwear products might be a notch above in the opinion of many forum members and i appreciate that. But they too are expensive and you have the downside of the long wait. Point is, I am just so tired of the Eastman bashing, and in some cases the inaccurate information posted on their products to try to make a point. Here is but one example of what I am referring to,… a recent discussion on mouton collars where one frequent poster here made the comment that “none” of Eastmans jackets have mouton collars. Guys and gals, that iis just down right not accurate! So I for one would love to see a stray from all of this rant, and am slowly edging away from this forum because of it. I said my piece, and I know others will have strong opinions about this, but you asked and there it is. Don’t know if there are others that feel the same way, but I suspect at least a few. I know there was an atempt not too long ago to do a thread on bringing Eastman some love. It was meh. It resulted pretty quickly in another thread to bring Goodwear some love. Funny.
Pointing out flaws on $1200 repro jackets on a vintage jacket forum is not "rant"- it's a natural part of jacket critique. I've been on this forum since 2004 or so when it was run by someone else. Me and many other member's constant criticism of Eastman and Aero led (I think possibly egotistically) to them changing from SMOOOTH couch leather on their jackets to more realistic stuff. It led to Good Wear and BK and ultimately to the far more realistic Eastmans of today. Also- I don't understand why talking about repros is not in the realm of vintage jackets- they are copies. There are still plenty of posts featuring actual originals- reposting old stuff is boring and unnecessary IMO. Just go through it all (as I have done a few times) -you'll find the knowledge you seek.

Last edited:

Pa12

Here’s a question that I think needs to be addressed ………when is a jacket or an item of clothing considered to be “Vintage”?
We all seem to have a general idea of meaning of the word but, is there a definitive amount of time where one can say this item is vintage ? Is it 20 or 25 or 30 years old?
I ask because we seem to view vintage as WWII dated items when in fact that was 80 years ago and I think vintage is much sooner than that .. say 25 years ago . I’m not trying to derail this thread, but if we’re thinking about a possible name change to this forum, we might want to be in agreement as to what constitutes a “vintage jacket “.
Good point. If vintage is 25 years my closet is “full “ of vintage

ZuZu

B-Man, no offense taken at all, and I really appreciate your thoughts. I certainly have no issue at all with folks offering differing opinions, and I really do think you and I are not far apart in that respect. I find wisdom in many counsellors. My point is simply that the Eastman bashing is just so popular here. Please consider that some on this forum might not be sharing fit pics or new products if it is an Eastman simply for fear that follow up posts will be trashing the shape of the collar or the high price of the item. I think a debate on the merits of most any item is healthy, but I just really think the bias against Eastman products is just too prolific here and might be inhibiting a sharing of information by some members. As far as I am concerned, when I do read the forum, anymore I mainly follow threads about new books or vintage original jackets. I have been following the Masters of the Air thread, but to my chagrin, there we are bashing Eastman again and their yards and yards of shearling on their B-3 collar used in the film. Man, give it a break!
There is no Eastman "bashing". That's like saying I'm bashing Taylor Swift! Eastman is immune to bashing- they're getting oodles of money for their jackets and have a relatively large business. They don't care waht VLJ thinks- maybe in 2005 they listened but certainly not now. It's not bias- it's facts.

Pa12

I use 25 years as an example because the qualifying time line for a vintage car and a vintage license plate is 25 years in some states in the U.S. . No real relationship to clothing but is there a different standard for clothing ?
It’s the same here. I’m not a fashion guy but I would guess when they refer to vintage in regard to clothing, they’re referencing the style more than the actual age.

Dany McDonald

It’s the same here. I’m not a fashion guy but I would guess when they refer to vintage in regard to clothing, they’re referencing the style more than the actual age.

Pa, same with Retro, its echoing the style and even the Era for some.

ZuZu

There'no need to rename- everything on the forum whether it be reproduction jackets or originals relates to vintage jackets.

Enigma1938

In Germany a 30 years old car is called "Oldtimer" so it is officially vintage. Why not use this on clothing too?

B-Man2

There'no need to rename- everything on the forum whether it be reproduction jackets or originals relates to vintage jackets.
Zu
I think you missed my earlier post. Not suggesting we rename the forum. In my previous post my suggestion was that we keep the name as is but .. that we be more inclusive of vintage civilian leather jackets and not solely focused on military jackets .

ZuZu

Zu
I think you missed my earlier post. Not suggesting we rename the forum. In my previous post my suggestion was that we keep the name as is but .. that we be more inclusive of vintage civilian leather jackets and not solely focused on military jackets .
Gotcha!