• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the members gone...?

Flightengineer

I haven't been here for 2.5 months for some reasons. Damn, it’s funny and sad at the same time to see how the thread veered from the topic of where everyone disappeared to endless debates on which side to break the egg and ELC prices.
BTW, there can be many reasons for a pause on the forum, and they do not always depend on the person and his loss of interest in the hobby - illness, work, the situation around and also if have nothing to say some useful, maybe should be silent sometimes.

Pa12

I haven't been here for 2.5 months for some reasons. Damn, it’s funny and sad at the same time to see how the thread veered from the topic of where everyone disappeared to endless debates on which side to break the egg and ELC prices.
BTW, there can be many reasons for a pause on the forum, and they do not always depend on the person and his loss of interest in the hobby - illness, work, the situation around and also if have nothing to say some useful, maybe should be silent sometimes.
Good point dimitri. I’ve been gone myself since spring. Just too much shit happening in my life.

mulceber

BTW, welcome back, Dmitry. I hope you're healthy and happy. :)

FlakMagnet

we need to laugh at ourselves sometimes

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

original

FlakMagnet

I'll drop a nuke on this whole conversation and say my $300 AUD no name brand A2 literally blows the "Big Boys" out the water!
It is perfect because it:
Doesn't have wonky stitching
Doesn't have mismatched panels of varied graininess
Does have uniform thickness
Does have uniform colour depth
And has actually been worn in combat :cool:
The fact people are arguing about this and that over one very specific type of flight jacket is asinine to the point of absurdity.
Literally noone outside of the forum would tell the difference between the war time makers....and certainly not between contracts from one maker to another!

We need to be supporting each other in this ludicrously expensive hobby (because our "better halves" gave up on our sanity years ago lol)

Christie's A-2?

Dumpster D

I've always wanted an A-2 but there's so many flavors that I've never gotten myself one after all these years. After thorough research, I'm more confused about the details now, than I was 20 years ago.

How about Gregory Peck's A-2 From 12' O clock high ? What is it, and who makes a good clone? I could live with a jacket like that.

IMHO if that Jacket was a classic vintage guitar effects pedal, it's the Big Muff Pi of my Fuzz tones.

Smithy

Christie's A-2?

I think that is exactly what Wombat is talking about.

I've seen one in the flesh. I was at Hyland's books in Melbourne (where I often used to frequent) and there was a chap there with an A-2 on. Naturally I wandered over for a chinwag. Nice fellow and nice jacket. Not a GW or ELC but it wasn't shabby and the pattern was a nice 40s cut not the potato sack monstrosities you see for sale at those "pilot supplies" shops.

This was well over a decade ago so I have no idea if they're the same now as then. He'd had his one for quite some time too I can remember.

CombatWombat

I think that is exactly what Wombat is talking about.

I've seen one in the flesh. I was at Hyland's books in Melbourne (where I often used to frequent) and there was a chap there with an A-2 on. Naturally I wandered over for a chinwag. Nice fellow and nice jacket. Not a GW or ELC but it wasn't shabby and the pattern was a nice 40s cut not the potato sack monstrosities you see for sale at those "pilot supplies" shops.

This was well over a decade ago so I have no idea if they're the same now as then. He'd had his one for quite some time too I can remember.
It is a Christie's
I got mine "custom" from the actual store next to Defence Square in Sydney.
It definitely isn't a GW but it's one of the best goatskin A2's in the under $500aud category that has the 40's styling and pure wool knits.
And as a bloke that's had his hands on Aeros/ELC and a NZ McCoy A2's, this definitely just feels right.....but it could be my bias against stiff horsehide leather on a flexible jacket and the climactic conditions down here that limits the amount of days I can dedicate to horsehide wear ;)