• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco A-2 horsehide pics!

Brettafett

I have two. One went on my ATF Tanker, but stitching came undone and it fell off. Needs to go back on.

Im tossing up between 3 options for the project. Just so busy with work, cant get enough into it... Priorities! lol

pierregloom

I've just seen on Avi's instagram pictures of someone wearing their Bronco HH in russet ;).
http://instagr.am/p/CZXCnEcL4Xz/
Capture d’écran 2022-01-30 à 19.57.51.png

Capture d’écran 2022-01-30 à 19.57.59.png

Capture d’écran 2022-01-30 à 19.58.05.png

I must say I really like it with this color, and that's maybe the next jacket I will be looking for (when my adventures with the M422A will find an happy ending... :D).

Smithy

So knowing that I will have to wait for my Platon Dubow I decided screw it and went all in with a Seal Brown AVI as I really want an A2 for an event at the end of February at Duxford. Super comms with Morten in Denmark, he says I should have the jacket on or around 14 Feb.

Morten is a top chap, very easy to deal with and very communicative.

And I'm with Greg, that new russet looks lovely.

Brettafett

With original WWII 9th AAF shoulder patch.
Phase 1 completed. Im not super happy, but its going to have to do.
AVI LTHR A-2 9AAF.jpg

P1270975.JPG

P1270970.JPG

P1270977.JPG

(Love this jacket btw :p)

I emailed/ called around and chose a leather alterations company recommended by Lewis Leathers.
I emailed them the details of what I wanted, incl detailed placement, measurements and pics. Same via phone and all was good.
I marked and taped it up, exactly where I wanted the patch to be sewn, made my way into London (no mean feat) and the guy seemed to know his stuff.
Easy? Simple?
No
After all that, its been sewn too high and a little off centre (annoying to a designer's eye)

Just really disappointing. How could they get it wrong after all that?
Like it goes in one ear and out the other, as long as they get thier cash, they will do whatever and deal with whatever after. Idiots!

I know it does not seem like a big deal, but it is a bit. Everything costs money, time and effort, and you can't unstitch this, move it and re-sew it.
{For those who don't know, these are supposed to be 1 inch down from the epaulet}

This is EXACTLY why the AVI was the perfect jacket to do this on. If this had happened to one of my BKs, Platon or ELC jackets, Id have been really annoyed!
(this same thing happened with my ATF Tanker a while back, from a different person, thankfully that fell off and I'll give it another go soon)

OK, all good... rant over... moving on :cool:

Last edited:

Brettafett

So knowing that I will have to wait for my Platon Dubow I decided screw it and went all in with a Seal Brown AVI as I really want an A2 for an event at the end of February at Duxford. Super comms with Morten in Denmark, he says I should have the jacket on or around 14 Feb.
Which event are you referring too? Might make my way up. Been too long.

Brettafett

Yes, thats where Ive settled Greg. Its all good and Im happy...
I actually have pics where the patch is set quite high, so its not about authenticity... its more about following simple guides...
I have 3 or 4 routes I want to go with the next phases, so this is just the start.

Flightengineer

With original WWII 9th AAF shoulder patch.
Phase 1 completed. Im not super happy, but its going to have to do.
View attachment 74119
View attachment 74121
View attachment 74120
View attachment 74122
(Love this jacket btw :p)

I emailed/ called around and chose a leather alterations company recommended by Lewis Leathers.
I emailed them the details of what I wanted, incl detailed placement, measurements and pics. Same via phone and all was good.
I marked and taped it up, exactly where I wanted the patch to be sewn, made my way into London (no mean feat) and the guy seemed to know his stuff.
Easy? Simple?
No
After all that, its been sewn too high and a little off centre (annoying to a designer's eye)

Just really disappointing. How could they get it wrong after all that?
Like it goes in one ear and out the other, as long as they get thier cash, they will do whatever and deal with whatever after. Idiots!

I know it does not seem like a big deal, but it is a bit. Everything costs money, time and effort, and you can't unstitch this, move it and re-sew it.
{For those who don't know, these are supposed to be 1 inch down from the epaulet}

This is EXACTLY why the AVI was the perfect jacket to do this on. If this had happened to one of my BKs, Platon or ELC jackets, Id have been really annoyed!
(this same thing happened with my ATF Tanker a while back, from a different person, thankfully that fell off and I'll give it another go soon)

OK, all good... rant over... moving on :cool:

Brett, my friend, don't get too upset.
As a soul mate - a perfectionist's soul, I understand you.
Unfortunately this happens. And even my super seamstress, whom I gave my most expensive and original jackets for repair with my eyes closed, once did the same, but sewn patch at the wrong angle and I had to redo it.
It always pisses me off when you tell people HOW IT MUST BE and they do it HOW IT THEY THINK.
As my first crew captain many years ago said to one such seamstress, who sewed his stripes correctly on the third attempt only - "if we flew as you sew, madam, we would all be dead by now" :p

However, this is life :rolleyes: .

Greg is right, these patches were all over the place and in any location.
If you can't put up with it - there is a way, but it's "long". There is a special liquid leather, with which, step by step, after removing this patch, you can mask some of the holes from the needle, repaint this points and then after (preferably standing right behind the seamstress's back!) sew the patch correctly.

BTW, jacket looks good with this patch.

pierregloom

That's not cool... I totally understand your deception too, it didn't look to be a complicate thing to do to have it done like you asked to though, just take measurements and sew it right...

It's crazy that someone you paid to do something, that seems to be its work for long, makes it without respecting anything you've asked for like that...
Sometimes (more and more), I begin to think that if you want to have something done like you want, you have to do it yourself...

By the way, your jacket looks amazing and fits you so well !
Like @Greg Gale , I seriously think of getting a russet A2 from Avi one day.

Smithy

That's crap Brett and I can completely understand your annoyance.

If I was getting a patch sewed on I'd either do it myself - of course that's how they did it in the war (or got some poor subordinate fellow to do it for them) - or I'd do a few stitches to position the patch before giving it to a seamstress to "fill in" the rest of the stitching.

Next time if you don't feel completely confident I'd get a leather needle from a sewing supplies shop and do at the very least one stitch to position the patch at the distance from the shoulder seam and then give it to a seamstress to finish the stitching.

Great patch though!

Brettafett

Thanks Tim, do it yourself is always best.

Besides photos and conversations... I had actually taped a guide around the patch for them. The blighters removed and ignored it apparently LOL
I even asked if they wanted me to use double-sided tape (what ELC does) top make sure it was placed correctly.
And these muppets were recommended by Lewis Leathers.

Smithy

Thanks Tim, do it yourself is always best.

Besides photos and conversations... I had actually taped a guide around the patch for them. The blighters removed and ignored it apparently LOL
I even asked if they wanted me to use double-sided tape (what ELC does) top make sure it was placed correctly.
And these muppets were recommended by Lewis Leathers.

That's why I'd always do at least one stitch myself Brett. Unlike tape they can't remove it, it can't fall off and it makes the patch sit exactly where you want it. Somebody else on here or Le Salon du Chapeau recommended this way back in the mists of time and I've never forgotten it.

That's a real shame and I know how much you're a perfectionist when it comes to your jackets so I can understand just how much it must irk you.

You could bite the bullet and remove it and reposition it. Of course there will be stitch holes but they might not be terribly obvious and of course the eye will be drawn to the patch long before any small stitch holes in the leather.