• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco A-2 horsehide pics!

Brettafett

Recently received AVI’s ‘new’ Bronco incarnation and promised to show-&-tell.
Overall, I’m very happy with the jacket.
Well-made, fits to a T and is arguably the best Bronco pattern they have made to date.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021003.JPG
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021004.JPG

This is the horsehide version. Its light, supple and feels to be about the correct weight (on the lighter side) and thickness.
Very easy to wear. You could actually wear this sat in a car or plane and feel very at ease in it.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021009.JPG

They nailed the seal colour. Theres some grain there and texture.
No - Warhorse, Liberty, Shinki, Horween or Vicenza this is not, but neither can we expect it to be, at this price point.

AVI LTHR Bronco 2021019.JPG

This is a regular 42 with an inch added to sleeves, and its… perfect!
Im 5’10, 72kgs/ 158 pounds, 40” chest, trim and wear a 42 original A-2, and by extension, 42 in most high end repros. I can wear with a T-shirt and also layer with a light sweater.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021013.JPG
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021012.JPG

As we all know this jacket is copied off their original, so its true to WW2 fit and sizing.
I’d go with your regular chest size, and tweak lengths if need be.
AVI has a new system where you choose your size and can add lengths to body and sleeve if you choose… I guess you can ask for any reasonable customisation…
Took about 2 weeks from date of order to trying on for the first time.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021011.JPG

The pattern is great! I don’t have an original WWII Bronco at hand to compare it with, but AVI did a good job emulating their original with this one.
Scalloped pockets and collar profile look good, and they placed the epaulets correctly on top of the shoulders (slightly back), a fault sometimes overlooked by some.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021014.JPG

The knits are decent. Not 100% wool, in fact not wool I’d say. Likely some type of blend.
However, they are seamless, have a close-to-correct weave and are single ply. These will last.
No need to go swopping out knits on the one… Brown thread is neat and tidy.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021015.JPG

Standard Talon repro zipper looks fine and does the job, as does the repro Talon snaps.
The hardware is not high end, but again, cant expect NOS at this price.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021035.JPG

End Part 1

Brettafett

Cont…
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021036.JPG

Most of the detailing is there, but there is always room to improve even more.
The throat hooks and collar snaps will have the purists frown. Eyelets don’t have holes and a glaring omission, is the collar studs don’t go through the lining with a cover.

AVI LTHR Bronco 2021016.JPG

For me, and some others Ive spoken too, a very obvious detail is the label. AVI has elected to go with a generic AVI 29191 label. I guess Avirex, Cockpit, US Wings and others have done the same thing.
Going to lengths to recreate a particular original maker A-2, I’d personally have replicated the Bronco 29191 label also.
That doesn’t detract from the jacket itself, however.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021017.JPG

Who’s this jacket for?
Someone looking at their first foray into a decent A-2 repro, without spending $$££
Someone not interested in the minute details and doesn’t want to spend a ‘kidney’ on a high end jacket…
Someone looking for a second jacket to patch or paint up and doesn’t dare ‘experiment’ with their high end jacket…
Im toying with embellishing this with 75thFS 23FG patches from Sean Collins... But, Im going to sit with it for a while.

AVI LTHR Bronco 2021010.JPG

Nice touch, with the comic…
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021031.JPG

Comparing with some WW2 pics and some originals for context…
Bronco WW2 A-2.jpg

AVI LTHR Bronco 2021002.JPG

Bronco Originals WW2.jpg

This is another great all-round beater, a practical, useable jacket, that looks the part. A perfect template to work out your A-2 fit and measurements (for when you end up ordering your high end A-2) without spending $£$£.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021030.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:

Brettafett

Comparing to my circa 2019 AVI in goat with knits from MASH (on left)...
I love this jacket, despite all my top end jackets. So easy to wear, light and comfy. Pity the sleeves come up a bit short for me. Solved by this hh version.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021032.JPG
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021034.JPG

Comparing to Platon's Dubow (left)
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021028.JPG

And, with my BK Dubow (left)
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021024.JPG
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021022.JPG

Overall, not bad at all.Put in perspective, this is a great jacket for the money. Very comfortable and easy to wear. Well-made, drapes well...
This is not a GW, BK, ELC or the like, and if you are after details and a higher rung of authenticity, then stick with the top-ends.

Brettafett

Thanks, have another 'review' coming comparing ELC's and Buzz's B-10s.

The HH is 289 Euro less 20% for non-EU, free postage (but UK pays some import duties). Goat is slightly less... This for the new jackets.
Seems to be a special on moving older stock atm
I have not owned a 5* so cant compare, but Id assume so. Although some detailing may differ.

Members online

Latest posts