• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco A-2 horsehide pics!

J.R.303

Thanks! Vintage Hi-Fi is definitely one of my weaknesses as well, but my set-up is pretty modest compared to many audiophiles. I have a couple extra sets of speakers and many components not currently bring used, but my main system consists of:

Marantz 2240 receiver
Norman Laboratories Model 7 speakers
TEAC 3300S reel to reel
NAD 6100 cassette
NAD 5100 CD
Technics SL-Q20 turntable

View attachment 75681
View attachment 75682View attachment 75683View attachment 75684
I've a Sanyo DCA 1001 and Celestion Ditton 15xr set up in the kitchen and Quad amp an pre, B&W speakers and a Thorens in the living room.
Don't get me started on some of my vintage militaria!!!

Beaker_UK

Thanks! Vintage Hi-Fi is definitely one of my weaknesses as well, but my set-up is pretty modest compared to many audiophiles. I have a couple extra sets of speakers and many components not currently bring used, but my main system consists of:

Marantz 2240 receiver
Norman Laboratories Model 7 speakers
TEAC 3300S reel to reel
NAD 6100 cassette
NAD 5100 CD
Technics SL-Q20 turntable
There is something very reassuring about all of this......

Beaker_UK

My M-422A took 2 weeks. Almost.
Give it a couple more days....
It’s oh so close
44840421-30FE-43AF-A947-F1870DBD6186.png

Last edited:

Beaker_UK

Much excitement today as AVI’s Bronco in SB HH arrived with the added bonus of no import duty or tax
So, initial impressions of the stock size 42 with no changes are that it’s pretty much true to the size guide, if anything perhaps a little smaller in the back and chest (armpit to armpit).

In terms of details I’m impressed for the price point, the HH has nice feel and should age well. If I were to order again, I’d most likely go up to a 44 just to give a little more flex. For info 6ft 1” about 175lbs and I need to get back running!

13FE7A5C-DB47-4B68-ADCB-36FEA88EA314.jpeg
F95B68FF-9C0C-4C88-8738-AF772BCAF286.jpeg
E15AE642-FBAF-4171-9391-A649BC8022F6.jpeg
49E98884-E7ED-4D42-B855-13F24EDB8E83.jpeg
222C8420-25D3-4425-97DA-703D081772BC.jpeg
B9FDD6B4-4E08-403F-8D26-1F7487DB758D.jpeg
C1F9F118-29C5-4C8B-A65B-E56B07EBED92.jpeg
46852CD1-8A6D-4331-9905-7F7694908383.jpeg

Beaker_UK

Thanks all, I'll give an update after a few weeks of wear but as Brett said somewhere earlier on this thread, it's perfectly comfortable to drive in :cool:

coolhandluke

Received a size 40 russet HH Bronco from Avi today. Fit is great, but the leather finish and sleeve knits are underwhelming to the degree that I may consider returning the jacket. Can someone advise if the length on the sleeve knits look out of spec? They are 3.25" (8.25 cm) in length, which is 3/4" (1.9 cm) longer than those on my Avi Perry.

20220308_175104.jpg

coolhandluke

Here are a couple quick fit pics. Not sure why the collar is a little wonky in the photos as it lays fine. IMO, the hide looks cheaper than the seal finish on my HH Perry. I know that Avi uses a drum dyeing process, but the finish almost looks like a sprayed/ pigmented top coat. Maybe I'm just used to seeing aniline dyed russet jackets? Not sure if it will develop any character or if it is what it is. The length and looseness of the sleeve knits are a little bothersome, but I don't know if I'm just being overly anal.

20220308_181257.jpg

20220308_181230.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

If you’re not happy with it the day you get it ……… you’ll probably never get past those issues that are bothering you now.
Send it back for a different contract jacket or ask for a refund .

Thanks Burt. There is a significantly longer portion of non-tapered sleeve knit area showing on this jacket versus the other Broncos shown in this thread, so I'm assuming it's either a QC issue or something to do with the knits used on the russet jackets. I wasn't sure if this was a non-issue as I am relatively green as to what is or isn't "correct" on repro A2's.

If I send it back, it will be for a refund. I was really wanting an entry level russet jacket and it looks like a Platon Dubow won't be an option for the foreseeable future.

B-Man2

Thanks Burt. There is a significantly longer portion of non-tapered sleeve knit area showing on this jacket versus the other Broncos shown in this thread, so I'm assuming it's either a QC issue or something to do with the knits used on the russet jackets. I wasn't sure if this was a non-issue as I am relatively green as to what is or isn't "correct" on repro A2's.

If I send it back, it will be for a refund. I was really wanting an entry level russet jacket and it looks like a Platon Dubow won't be an option for the foreseeable future.
Good luck with whatever you decide .

Brettafett

That fit looks good. You need to wear it in, to let the jacket loosen up to your form.
You can shape the collar a bit also, by wetting it a little, shaping it and then letting it air dry.

For a 'budget' A-2, you're not going to find aniline-dyed hides, or hides to compare with the higher priced jackets.

As for knits, there's no hard-&-fast 'rule', although 2.5" to 3" should be ideal.
They do look different to those on my seal. You could swop them out with a set from MASH, I've done this before.

Agree with Burt, if you dont like it, you wont like it. So, return for a refund, no harm no foul, (doen that a couple of times in the past also)... but then what do you get?

Platon's Dubow would be the perfect A-2 for the money. Really dont need anything else... IF it fits! But is it due to wait times?
Aero's having a sale on... Secondhand jacket? But what would you get for $300?
Could try 5*...

Really, need to remember AVI's jacket is 289 Euro (20% off non-EU) and Platon's 450 Euro.
Half decent second hand jackets go for more than this (and depending on your requirements/ expectations, you may have to clean and replace knits/ zippers with these also).

Id also considering letting Morten know. They are always open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

Beaker_UK

Platon's Dubow would be the perfect A-2 for the money. Really dont need anything else... IF it fits! But is it due to wait times?
Aero's having a sale on... Secondhand jacket? But what would you get for $300?
Could try 5*...
I understand Platon has placed a temporary halt on orders after a sudden influx. I wonder what the wait times are...........

coolhandluke

Thank you all very much for the comments. I've emailed Morten and asked to return the jacket for a refund. As Beaker mentioned, Platon is not accepting any new orders so that option is off the table for the moment. In all honesty, buying a lightly pre-owned jacket out of the classifieds may be something that I consider doing.

Please don't interpret my observations in the previous posts as any critical bashing of Avi's product. This is very much an instance of getting what you pay for. I have no illusions or expectations of receiving something on par with the appearance of aniline dyed Italian leather at this price point. If I had one suggestion, it would be to source different knits in a mid-brown color.