• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco A-2 horsehide pics!

pierregloom

Did anybody have seen what exact color is Avi's russet Horsehide Bronco?

I don't know if it's me, but either on their website or on @Brettafett pictures, I find the Seal very dark, but there is not enough pictures of the russet to compare with... and on what I've seen of the previous goatskin, russet was very orange.

They say their seal goatskin is darker than their horsehide, but again not easy to verify, they sent me this picture :
251518263_116395457501388_5955327782403584052_n.jpeg

I've seen pictures of a previous seal goatskin with a bit of patina that looks awesome (@flightpatches on instagram, may be its owner is on the forum). And it's very different from what they show.
Capture d’écran 2021-11-08 à 14.22.19.png

I know it can be dependent upon the computer and monitor’s color settings, and the leather is not the same from one skin to another, but Avi do not share a lot of photos to get the beginning of an idea...
If I had to chose thanks to what I can see here and there, I'd go for a seal goatskin wishing to end with the same kind of patina :p !

pierregloom

Why not email them and ask them for pictures of their russet horsehide? AVI’s horsehide is new enough that I’m not sure anyone here has a russet HH jacket from them yet. Both of the AVI customers I know went for seal.
I'm waiting for their answer, but nothing for the moment, so I investigate everywhere :) (they will end up finding me annoying, I ask them a lot of questions...!)

Brettafett

The new seal HH is not dark. My goat Bronco is from 2019, so not sure how it compares to the new batch.
I have not seen the new russet, but the one russet Bronco I tried years ago was a bit orangey. The new stuff looks better.

From the photos on their website, Id say those colours are fairly accurate actually.

If you are in EU, you could always try one. AVI has a good returns policy.

Flightengineer

Did anybody have seen what exact color is Avi's russet Horsehide Bronco?

I don't know if it's me, but either on their website or on @Brettafett pictures, I find the Seal very dark, but there is not enough pictures of the russet to compare with... and on what I've seen of the previous goatskin, russet was very orange.

They say their seal goatskin is darker than their horsehide, but again not easy to verify, they sent me this picture :
View attachment 68778

I've seen pictures of a previous seal goatskin with a bit of patina that looks awesome (@flightpatches on instagram, may be its owner is on the forum). And it's very different from what they show.
View attachment 68777

I know it can be dependent upon the computer and monitor’s color settings, and the leather is not the same from one skin to another, but Avi do not share a lot of photos to get the beginning of an idea...
If I had to chose thanks to what I can see here and there, I'd go for a seal goatskin wishing to end with the same kind of patina :p !

It's mine AVI, I was made this patch, later I repatched and repainted this jacket as tribute to Hump pilots.

and after all I sold it.

It was not very dark seal - it's first gen of AVI's goatskin Bronco.

585a76770a96.jpg

Smithy

It's mine AVI, I was made this patch, later I repatched and repainted this jacket as tribute to Hump pilots.

and after all I sold it.

It was not very dark seal - it's first gen of AVI's goatskin Bronco.

585a76770a96.jpg

Gosh did you sell it Dmitry? What a shame!

I always liked that jacket and it was a great fit on you, and I loved the Hump tribute artwork and patching.

Still I suppose you've got the Star and the Dubow and they'll get the most wear.

Flightengineer

Gosh did you sell it Dmitry? What a shame!

I always liked that jacket and it was a great fit on you, and I loved the Hump tribute artwork and patching.

Still I suppose you've got the Star and the Dubow and they'll get the most wear.

Hi Tim, it's strange but this jacket became a little tight for me and then I got Dubow that fits better. This painted jacket really liked one good man from Israel and as far as I understand correct, his grandfather was an ATC pilot during the WW2. So this jacket went to a new good home. I was pleased to work on it project, may be I liked to paint it more than wear it. Perhaps one day I will repeat this drawing on one of my A2s again, who knows :)

pierregloom

That's exactly the leather color I love on an A2, a bit between russet and brown, it seems like the leather is hot and warm if I can say it like that.
And wow, it suited you so well, and the patching and artwork was so beautiful! I hope I can get one that looks as good on me someday.

Smithy

That's exactly the leather color I love on an A2, a bit between russet and brown, it seems like the leather is hot and warm if I can say it like that.
And wow, it suited you so well, and the patching and artwork was so beautiful! I hope I can get one that looks as good on me someday.

The first generation AVI Broncos (like Dmitry's) are a simply lovely milk chocolate with ever so slightly reddish lighter undertones that come through on the highpoints of wear as in the pictures above.

I'm lucky to have one as well and absolutely love it. The next generation afterwards were darker and not so nice from the photos I have seen, and as to the latest generation I cannot say. But if you can find one of the first generation ones in your size grab it. Some of the smaller details aren't quite on point (the pocket flaps don't have the right degree of scalloping for example) but apart from that they're great jackets. The pattern is directly taken from a size 44 original Bronco so they have the same attributes, wide-ish athletic shoulders and a trim torso - if you're overweight and carrying a bit in the belly beware, there's a good chance you might have trouble zipping it up like the real deal.

Terrific jackets - well I love my one.

FlakMagnet

The first generation AVI Broncos (like Dmitry's) are a simply lovely milk chocolate with ever so slightly reddish lighter undertones that come through on the highpoints of wear as in the pictures above.

I'm lucky to have one as well and absolutely love it. The next generation afterwards were darker and not so nice from the photos I have seen, and as to the latest generation I cannot say. But if you can find one of the first generation ones in your size grab it. Some of the smaller details aren't quite on point (the pocket flaps don't have the right degree of scalloping for example) but apart from that they're great jackets. The pattern is directly taken from a size 44 original Bronco so they have the same attributes, wide-ish athletic shoulders and a trim torso - if you're overweight and carrying a bit in the belly beware, there's a good chance you might have trouble zipping it up like the real deal.

Terrific jackets - well I love my one.

I've got one of those as well. I purchased mine back in mid-2018 and have been wearing it nearly every day since.
I'll take a pic when I am back home this week

pierregloom

Avi Leather finaly answered me about russet horsehide Bronco's color compared to russet goatskin.
I was asking them if they could send me a picture where I could see the difference between Seal and Russet Horsehide, because I was a bit confused by the fact that it was the same pictures between Horsehide and Goatskin.

In fact they just don't have any picture of their russet goatskin Bronco (I imagine that it is because nobody ordered it yet...) but they told me that I could see goatskin russet color in their Bifold wallet pictures. So I have all the informations to make a choice now.

Even if I think I would go for a M422-A when it will be released :D, I may be later give a try to one of their A2s. Color will depend on the color of their M422-A, in order to have 2 very different jackets in both the cut and the color.

Choice is hard, first of all because I am a bit picky when I buy something, and because they also have a previous version of their A2 in 38, which would be my size (after having asked also for their advice about this, and having taken mesurements on a jacket that fits me well).
Sometimes I think that, if I could, I would order a copy of each one of their jacket, and keep only the one that I like but it is a bit extreme as a solution!

But if AVI has a good returns policy, it should be easy as I live in France...

May be I will have a nice jacket by the end of the year :rolleyes:.

Smithy

In fact they just don't have any picture of their russet goatskin Bronco (I imagine that it is because nobody ordered it yet...) but they told me that I could see goatskin russet color in their Bifold wallet pictures.

I just scooted over to their site and had a look at the wallet and (although it's always difficult judging colour exactly on a computer screen) that shade of russet is rather nice, much better than their earlier russet colours.

Brettafett

Yes, that russet does look nice... Perhaps I should have gone that route.

I have done that a few times, order two jackets and return one.
I did it with the first Bronco in two sizes, the G-1 in two sizes, the 2nd version A-2 in russet and seal and then last years goat A-2 to compare two sizes.
Returns/ refunds was easy and no hassle.

Smithy

Yes, that russet does look nice... Perhaps I should have gone that route.

I have done that a few times, order two jackets and return one.
I did it with the first Bronco in two sizes, the G-1 in two sizes, the 2nd version A-2 in russet and seal and then last years goat A-2 to compare two sizes.
Returns/ refunds was easy and no hassle.

Go on Brett, order one ;)

I'm probably completely wrong as I've only ever seen images of it but it doesn't look a million miles away from Platon's russet shade.

Brettafett

Bloody hell Tim, before this last jacket, I was thinking to curb back on jacket-buying.

Im pretty satisfied with what I have, and with the GWs on the far horizon... I'll have more than I'll ever need.
But.. curiosity made me do it! (Ive seen almost every incarnation of AVI's Bronco...) But Im all A-2'd-out at the mo.

Im going to pick up the M-422a, so look out for that.