• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 aero 40-3785p

Silver Surfer

as previously written about putting a uv [black light] on the blood chit and patch, I dug out my black light and took some pix. as you will see, if you can see anything because the pix are so dark, there are no glowing areas on either the chit or patch. no glow on any stitching. despite our resident patch and blood chit expert's claim, I have concluded that both the patch and chit are legit wwll correct. the only thing fake about them is falling them fake. "fake" is a word that some like to use over and over again f
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4442.jpg
IMG_4443.jpg
IMG_4436.jpg
or baseless unfounded claims. next point: yes, the jacket is for sale and I would like $1700 for it. the measurements are as follows. pit to pit: 23. front length: 24". sleeves without cuffs: 23" on the left, 22 1/2" on the right. with cuffs 25 3/8", and 25" respectively. shoulder seam to shoulder seam at the top back: 19 1/4". back length from the stand collar seam to the bottom of the leather: 23 1/4" with the waistband: 25 3/8". alll I can see on my monitor is black. I hope the pix have some clarity on other monitors. if not, I will try again for a better viewing. thanx all.

Silver Surfer

Any trace elements of acrylic, polyester, etc will glow under uv (black light) these materials came into prevalent usage in the late 1940s. Another viable test is to burn a pice of thread. If it burns, it is cotton or silk. If it melts, it is man made fiber.

Chandler

But... the original auction shows no patches other than the name tag, rank tabs, and CBI shoulder patch/decal (though it doesn't show the back of the jacket, which is odd).

Grant

Ah ok, so the black light test clears up is the patch, name tag and chit were not made from acrylic, polyester, etc and were sewn on with cotton thread.
Couldn't they still could have been added later to the jacket when the liner was replaced assuming the liner was also sewn in with cotton thread?

ZuZu

Of interest:
Don't think I would trust much of this unless you know for sure this guy was in the CBI etc.etc. with a rock solid provenance. Having done many forgery-grade [patches and paintings in the 70s and 80s and looking at these patches I think all of them including the arm bit are possible fakes. Everything looks too perfect (at least the front patch and chit) and the arm painting looks exactly like stuff I did with enamel model paint and skilful "age" application.

That being said $1700 for this jacket in its restored condition is great! Very fair.

Shanghai-Mayne

14th AF , for a while during 1944, they use B-24s, transport various suppliers to certain air base located behind Japanese line.

Spitfireace

I'm with Jan on this one, its a resto job. Should have been sold as such but people on this forum would restore a jacket in the same way.
If you are going to restore this jacket based on what I've seen of the before and after pics. If you restore the liner, why would you not give it new knits to replace the shredded cuffs etc, while you are at it? The nametag is original to the jacket in before pic, fine, sew that on again over the new liner. Why put on repro patches over where there used to be the original patches? As said lots of jackets have stitch holes from prior patches, that is the natural evolution or history of the jacket, so why put on new patches? You don't really need to. I think it's just an effort to get more money for it. Therefore maybe call it embellishment rather than fakery? That is if all the added patches are correct to the original. That's difficult and who really knows. There was no pic of the back of the jacket before the liner was changed, which makes it even more mysterious, I can't see any stitch holes on the original liner that indicates that patches were there before.
Vic isn't asking a lot for the jacket so I'm not accusing him of profiteering.

2BM2K

Embellishments can detract from a jacket.

Allen P Forsyth won the Silver Star, was presented with the DFC by Chennault and had 30 years service in the air force.

If this is his jacket then it would have been nicer in as found condition.

Nickb123

Apologies for not quite understanding the progress of this thread, but is there a chance this owner could have added patches himself post-war?

Who knows, but I’d leave them on if so.