• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 aero 40-3785p

Grant

The patches would've had to been added after the lining was replaced. I'm no blood chit expert, but the chit sewn on this jacket looks in pristine condition, as does the patch which would lead me to suspect are recent additions. It also looks like all three were added at the same time using the same khaki color thread.

Looking at the photos of what is supposed to be the original liner, it appears there are two rows of name tag stitch holes, which indicates at least two previous "original" owners?

ZuZu

It's a great jacket- just get rid of everything but the name tag. As Spitfireace says add the cuffs and you've got a perfect large wearer. If I understand right and the price is $1700 it's a great deal!

Spitfireace

You have two choices. Leave it as is as a museum piece as it was or change knits and liner to make it a wearable jacket. Why stop without changing knits?

Spitfireace

If it was a jacket with nametag and the knits liner good. Then I would pay upwards 1700. I feel like it's gotten a little too embellshed can we say?

Shanghai-Mayne

It’s old pic of a leather chit, the original own is a vet service in 308th, the unique feature is , he stitched his name tag on the chit, the tag just like what @B-Man2 posted, come with name in English and Chinese translation.
IMG_0859.jpeg

Silver Surfer

an update....but first I would like to thank all for your comments, observations, opinions, and advice. with that in. mind, I have decided to take a different tack, due to my recent digging and research. I have found that Forsyth flew in the 11th bs cbi. this I deduced by reading an interview he gave some years ago in [see pic] which he said that he was in the oldest bs in the cbi. also he said that he flew "25s" [b-25s]. h flew the hump, inland. missions,, and costal bombing raids. the guy was something of a maverick, and flew lead plane often. so, I found that the oldest bs in the cbi was the 11th bs, and lo and behold,, the flew b-25s. what more, when I found a history of the 11th bs [acc], I found that Forsyth was made commander of the squadron jan. 1943. soooo.....my intention now is to the restoration route [see the the thread of restoring the me-109 started by Burt]. I have looked for original "mr jiggs" patches,[as is proper for the 11th bs] and found that they are super rare and when available very, very expensive, ie: out of my league, thus a high quality reproduction patch will likely be stitched on the jacket where the atc patch is currently. the blood chit will remain, as it is early wwll correct, and
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG
not repro. the wrist knit knits will be replaced either with wwll original knits [if available], or repro high end knits. dunno yet about the waistband, as it is in pretty ok shape. I have tried to track down remaining family members of Forsyth, but it was real needle in a haystack stuff, thus nothing from that pursuit.

Last edited:

ZuZu

an update....but first I would like to thank all for your comments, observations, opinions, and advice. with that in. mind, I have decided to take a different tack, due to my recent digging and research. I have found that Forsyth flew in the 11th bs cbi. this I deduced by reading an interview he gave some years ago in [see pic] which he said that he was in the oldest bs in the cbi. also he said that he flew "25s" [b-25s]. h flew the hump, inland. missions,, and costal bombing raids. the guy was something of a maverick, and flew lead plane often. so, I found that the oldest bs in the cbi was the 11th bs, and lo and behold,, the flew b-25s. what more, when I found a history of the 11th bs [acc], I found that Forsyth was made commander of the squadron jan. 1943. soooo.....my intention now is to the restoration route [see the the thread of restoring the me-109 started by Burt]. I have looked for original "mr jiggs" patches,[as is proper for the 11th bs] and found that they are super rare and when available very, very expensive, ie: out of my league, thus a high quality reproduction patch will likely be stitched on the jacket where the atc patch is currently. the blood chit will remain, as it is early wwll correct, andView attachment 112255View attachment 112253View attachment 112251 not repro. the wrist knit knits will be replaced either with wwll original knits [if available], or repro high end knits. dunno yet about the waistband, as it is in pretty ok shape. I have tried to track down remaining family members of Forsyth, but it was real needle in a haystack stuff, thus nothing from that pursuit.
Great job!

bseal

Lots of great choices:

A nice link for someone like Ties to employ for creation of a facsimile:

Last edited:

ZuZu

Lots of great choices:

A nice link for someone like Ties to employ for creation of a facsimile:

s-l1600 - 2023-06-19T115214.325.jpg

Having made many fakes in my life I wouldn't trust a patch like this- certainly not for $950. It just seems a bit too perfect...

John Luder

View attachment 112285

Having made many fakes in my life I wouldn't trust a patch like this- certainly not for $950. It just seems a bit too perfect...
Right you are. I also age my patches, usually with several light coats of different shades of brown shoe cream, then rub it on a dusty dashboard, then the polyester pile carpeting and use a paper towel with a dab of alcohol to swipe away at the spots that would wear down faster.
If it were real, and painted with enamel paint, which was the only kind in existence, I would expect flakes and curls, like the exterior of a very old house.
For added effect, the painter rolled it up in a ball and drove over it and left it under the tire for a while.
John

John Luder

Jiggs, not Mr. Jiggs, was a cartoon character first introduced in 1911. It was Jiggs and Maggie, and she always chased him with a rolling pin.
The color cartoon is from plate XXV of the June, 1943, National Geographic, which I have and is now readily available on-line. It used to be worth a lot more.
The seahorse is on a suspect jacket, but I would expect this sort of age damage with oil-based enamel paints. Oil-based paint could also be artificially aged, but it would not look like acrylic paint or pencils.
Zuzu's aging is similar to mine. It looks good on a period jacket when not used to defraud an unwary buyer. I did the same with my Lanternfish patch for the 6552.
Also, the five, spanking-new Doolittle Raid patches that I painted earlier this year for our air museum. The boss of the display wanted unsullied and clean exemplars.
Flogging that piece of rubbish for nearly a grand should be a felony, which you lot in UK don't have anymore. There would still be felonies charged in Los Angeles County if they didn't have a feckless pantywaist lefty of a District Attorney. New York City suffers from the same disease. But I digress.
Maybe you could commission Yogie to do one of these for you. He's as prolific as they come, it seems.
Cheers,
John
IMG_9170.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 12.24.31 PM.png
IMG_9160.jpg