• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 aero 40-3785p

Silver Surfer

than again, if original jiggs patches were made in country, ie: India, Burma, or china, they may have been made using vegetable dyes, and or oil paints of some type. i doubt that the patches were made in the us, as it seems that the image came into use in 1942 and the 11th was over seas by than. to my eyes,, some of the existing examples do no appear to have been painted with enamels. also, there were embroidered jiggs patches, most likely made in china.

Last edited:

John Luder

than again, if original jiggs patches were made in country, ie: India, Burma, or china, they may have been made using vegetable dyes, and or oil paints of some type. i doubt that the patches were made in the us, as it seems that the image came into use in 1942 and the 11th was over seas by than. to my eyes,, some of the existing examples do no appear to have been painted with enamels. also, there were embroidered jiggs patches, most likely made in china.
Surfer Dude, that is an insightful and cogent analysis. Downright brainy, too.
However, it's all academic, and even moot now, cuz it's been sold.
On the other hand, (and lawyers all have at least three) it's an interesting basis for future discussions.
Just for giggles, I did a google search for these this morning; there are dozens, if not scores, of examples obviously done by different artists, at different time, and using different media.
On the third hand, I would have been sus-pish of its authenticity, erred on the side of caution, and taken a pass. Especially without being able to see the backside and the stitching and smell it.
Cheers,
John

Spitfireace

20181124_105539.jpg

Spitfireace

I have a jacket where the same thing happened. The original patches were taken off probably when returned to QM. Then possibly re-issued for Korea. My jacket was re-dyed in depot then the patches were removed. So you don't really have a choice covering the undyed areas. I found the pilots history by his name and service number stamped inside his jacket. So I was able to figure out the correct patches.
20210827_183608.jpg

I’m still walking and talking although my wife probably wishes I did less of the latter at times :D
Still got that humour. Hilarious thank you!

Spitfireace

You're in God's country there though. I wish I could roam around the fields. City life sucks. I hope to buy some property in the north there.

A2B3G1

I don't like it, either -- granted, I realize doing research can be challenging. I once sought information on a WWII vet. only to learn that a fire in 1972 at the National Archives location in St. Louis, Mo., (hope I recall the year correctly) destroyed many records and information has been forever lost. So with dim history from federal sources ... that leads to the web site research route.

Same for auctioneers, I suppose. I've seen some who describe listings via cutting and pasting an entire squadron history from other sites, but then go scant on details of what they're selling. I've never been a fan of that technique.

Then again, I've seen some listings prepared by auctioneers who've painstakingly attempted to validate a jacket's authenticity via a vet's history only to post inaccurate information because details were sourced from other web sites -- that were also wrong.

Provenance can be tricky; that's why I like VLJ.

This is my .02 (a response) to the June 5 posts on page 4 by Jorgeenriequeaguilera and Chandler. I thought it would quote those posts ... guess I was wrong.

Spitfireace

Luckily the person who wore my jacket had the forethought to stamp his name a service number in the jacket I have so it came up on an internet search on B26.com.