• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 aero 40-3785p

JonnyCrow

It's ok to replace a liner. But then if you start putting unit patches on top of an original jacket to make it look like something it wasn't ... not cool. Wrecked the original to make a few bucks off some guy who didn't know better. Was a two grand jacket maybe. Now put some unit patches on it and a name and it's twice that. Now it's also ruined, a historical artifact.
Is there a chance the liner was replaced and the patches sewn back in their original places? It's what I would do

mulceber

In addition to looking untouched, I'd also point out that the liner looks to be a slightly courser weave than you see on most originals - not a bad thing, as it means it'll hold up better, but further evidence it isn't original to the jacket.

Spitfireace

In addition to looking untouched, I'd also point out that the liner looks to be a slightly courser weave than you see on most originals - not a bad thing, as it means it'll hold up better, but further evidence it isn't original to the jacket.
Not original liner. Therefore not original patches. They were put on after the liner was replaced. Sorry makes the jacket from a five thousand dollar jacket to a don't really want it it's a fake jacket. Not here to make it like that but .. ya.

JonnyCrow

Not original liner. Therefore not original patches. They were put on after the liner was replaced. Sorry makes the jacket from a five thousand dollar jacket to a don't really want it it's a fake jacket. Not here to make it like that but .. ya.
OK I've seen that, I was a TR dealer for a long time, helmets and tunics, it's why I don't touch German stuff now, too messed with and too many aged fakes

Spitfireace

We all want the perfect jacket. It's increasingly not easy to find. Not an excuse to ruin an otherwise great jacket. Maybe a few thousand dollars to the right person is.

JonnyCrow

We all want the perfect jacket. It's increasingly not easy to find. Not an excuse to ruin an otherwise great jacket. Maybe a few thousand dollars to the right person is.
We do, years ago I sold a leather U-boat suit, I bought in Germany, in the jacket pocket was a nazi pfennig, a old half smoked cigarette and a blue and white checked hankerchief, used, I left all alone

Spitfireace

xcuse to ruin an otherwise great jacket. Maybe a few thousand dollars to the right person is.
We do, years ago I sold a leather U-boat suit, I bought in Germany, in the jacket pocket was a nazi pfennig, a old half smoked cigarette and a blue and white checked hankerchief, used, I left all alone