• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 aero 40-3785p

blackrat2

Well to me that’s a good jacket that’s been saved, messed or not it is atleast in all probability going to end up with someone on here (given it doesn’t fit you Vic?!) rather than be sold to someone that doesn’t understand how few of this contract were mad
Yeah not 100% original but solid enough for occasional wear and in the case of folk like me , having a solid jacket minus the originality makes it an ideal jacket for the collection if you follow my drift!

Silver Surfer

all that said, im not convinced that the patches are fake. the blood chit leather looks and feels correct with lettering that would indicate, made in India during wwll. the atc patch is the decal type [fine grazing fisures through out] with 3 blades on the prop, as against the later 4 blade type. name tag looks aok, as does the painted shoulder patch. however, when I get back home I will dig up my uv [black light] light and go over all of the patches to look for anomalies. and yes, the jacket is too large for me as a wearer, with as I remember, the pit to pit measurement is 23".

mulceber

Of interest:

Ah that IS interesting! So from the looks of it, the patches are high-end copies. But the original jacket had the stitch holes, so whoever restored it was likely trying to restore it to its original condition. They probably researched the pilot, found out what unit he was with, and applied the appropriate patches based on that information.

Last edited:

blackrat2

Well I still think it’s a great jacket given how few were made and if your saying it’s an $800 dollar jacket then I’m your Huckleberry
Yes it’s been messed with and what Vic does now is I guess between him and the seller, sadly some folk still don’t understand the value of these jackets without messing with them but all said it’s a rare bird

mulceber

I'm not sure I'd even call it messing with the jacket. If you know who the pilot is, and you know what patches would have been there (or at least have a pretty good guess), then it's really just a more proactive form of restoration, imho.