• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

ES335

I was hopeful the days of "gate guards" were gone, and those precious irreplaceable aircraft would be restored to at least museum static condition if not made airworthy again. Sadly, they are not. I know of an F-86 Sabre that's been sitting out in the elements for years in plain sight, unattended at a Maryland Air National Guard Airfield a few minutes from my home.

What a cryin' shame.

B-Man2

I was hopeful the days of "gate guards" were gone, and those precious irreplaceable aircraft would be restored to at least museum static condition if not made airworthy again. Sadly, they are not. I know of an F-86 Sabre that's been sitting out in the elements for years in plain sight, unattended at a Maryland Air National Guard Airfield a few minutes from my home.

What a cryin' shame.
Probably a good bet that the Maryland Air National Guard unit who the Sabre is assigned too is so strapped for funds that they barely have enough money to keep their required operational aircraft maintained and flying .
But you’re right , it is a shame that an aircraft with such a phenomenal history has been left out in the elements to just disintegrate and die .

ES335

Probably a good bet that the Maryland Air National Guard unit who the Sabre is assigned too is so strapped for funds that they barely have enough money to keep their required operational aircraft maintained and flying .
But you’re right , it is a shame that an aircraft with such a phenomenal history has been left out in the elements to just disintegrate and die .
That installation includes literally dozens of A-10s that see daily flight (and accordingly maintenance time). By the sound alone I don't even have to look up to know, much as I love to watch them train. My guess is that the resident Sabre was a replacement for the P-51's that were operational post '45 from that airbase. I seriously doubt the MANG is lacking for funds, especially to care for a comparatively rare 4-20mm F-86... Fer fuks sake, take care of our history.

(Edit, B ...) You would not believe what the Smithsonian has stashed away in their Silver Hill warehouse facility. One of-a-kind, last-in-the-world examples. Like a complete FW Ta152, still awaiting restoration. Been in there. Well, back to jackets!

Last edited:

ausreenactor

old is new is old. soooo...this jacket was custom made by our own Steve Sellers. it is the result of a project that I had in mind for making a dead on reproduction of an aero 38-1711p a-2 jacket. I repurposed hides [hh moo?] from a 1950s couch that my wife wanted to toss. the zipper is an original 1935-36 talon rivet type. the label is from an original pair of 1940 aero shearling pants. the snaps, liner, and knit elements were sourced new. it would seem that aero, and other manufactures were modifying their a-2 designs during the later 1930s, and early 1940s. during the course of a-2 evolution, buttoned pockets complicated rivet zippers, collar stands, sewn in collar clips, and top stitching both sides of the sleeves were eventually eliminated. the 1711p contract had all of the above but buttoned pockets, the 1711p contract was awarded to aero in 1937 for 1500 jackets View attachment 92427View attachment 92429View attachment 92431View attachment 92433View attachment 92435View attachment 92437View attachment 92439View attachment 92441View attachment 92443View attachment 92425
Masterpiece Vic!

ausreenactor

Nice mild gray dull winter day that I decided to brighten with an original USN NXsx 79062 N-1 in good condition overall. Zipper will need some love. Sorry for the crappy image, not a lot of light to work with. The jacket was manufactured by Cornelius Weiss Co, Brooklyn, NY around 44/45.

I was itching for an original ever since I got a Buzz reproduction. The fit is okay as long as I don't layer too thick. I will say that Buzz really did a good job with their N-1, at least the one I have. Beside the weird label that says Medium instead of Size 40... I should post a side by side comparison.

Here's my original. The toque is US NAVY 40's Watch Cap from MASH.

View attachment 92509

Dany
Salty AF! That is a great 'look'.