• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

D97x7

Eastman Roughwear B-3
IMG_20230117_114602_copy_3801x3168.jpg
IMG_20230117_114532_copy_2685x3456.jpg

Silver Surfer

I was working on my G-1 today, stitching down the tape at the insertion pin and cleaning the teeth.
I know it's all waterproof, but I didn't want to wash the collar, whatever it's made of.
The material is matted and balled a bit. It has a rough-ish feel and looks cheap. This may be common for these lined collars.
I used a brass brush, made for raising the nap of suede shoes, and broke up the balls (kinda like some of your first wives).
In the pic, you can see (camera left) how it looks after a gentle massaging with the brush.
More important than appearance, though, is that it feels smoother.
I've worked in wardrobe (no, not like Eddy Izzard) on a couple movies and tv shows and picked up a few tricks (no, not like Hugh Grant) along the way.
I wouldn't try to "age" any real, original coat, but these repros are ripe for experimenting.
Cheers,
John
So.Cal.
View attachment 94371
"like your first wife". hahahahahahah. ok, honey, here's a hammer, now bust my balls real good.

John Luder

Bourbon, my ancestors would be upset but I still don't have the pallate for Scotch, too earthy for me. I'll have one from time to time though
I, too, have a kilt, MacNab tartan. Red, green, crimson; great colors at Christmas. I used to wear it to the office at Christmas when I didn't have a court day.
On the other hand (and lawyers frequently have more than three) before heading to Indiana, some ancestors were in Kentucky, so I don't feel like a bleedin' turncoat to sip bourbon when want a brown liquor.
But the most biggest problem with booze at 69, well, 14, or 17 at a local supermarket, is: Instant asshole - just add alcohol.
Words to live by, son. Unless it's a medicinal dram after a sortie.
Cheers

John Luder

I'm so addicted to this site now, I moved it up to the bookmark spot right under my imdb book mark.
Speaking of Hollywood hogwarsh (as said in southern Indiana), here's the new old collar of my G-1.
Yesterday, it was unadorned, naked, and afraid; very afraid. Sorry, wrong movie.
And today: instant old shit. Now suitable for an aged patch and gold, hand-lettered Navy name plate. Ready to be worn by an extra standing several yards from the star and other principals.
I cut a stencil from the print-out of one of the jackets several pages back, used acrylic paint on a sponge, blow-dried it, applied a few layers of different shades of Meltonian boot creme.

I couldn't have made the slop-over look more better if I'd thought of it.
Imagine the poor dumb bastard in a sweatshop; tedious, repetitive motion injuries, toxic fumes, filthy hands, hip flask of real cheap booze, jacket after jacket after jacket after. . . well, you get the mind-numbing picture of the quality of cheap labo(u)r. I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game.
Cheers, all.
John
IMG_8305.jpg

ZuZu

I'm so addicted to this site now, I moved it up to the bookmark spot right under my imdb book mark.
Speaking of Hollywood hogwarsh (as said in southern Indiana), here's the new old collar of my G-1.
Yesterday, it was unadorned, naked, and afraid; very afraid. Sorry, wrong movie.
And today: instant old shit. Now suitable for an aged patch and gold, hand-lettered Navy name plate. Ready to be worn by an extra standing several yards from the star and other principals.
I cut a stencil from the print-out of one of the jackets several pages back, used acrylic paint on a sponge, blow-dried it, applied a few layers of different shades of Meltonian boot creme.

I couldn't have made the slop-over look more better if I'd thought of it.
Imagine the poor dumb bastard in a sweatshop; tedious, repetitive motion injuries, toxic fumes, filthy hands, hip flask of real cheap booze, jacket after jacket after jacket after. . . well, you get the mind-numbing picture of the quality of cheap labo(u)r. I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game.
Cheers, all.
John
View attachment 94543

Nice job. Looks real. Or as they say: "authentic"...

newagegeezer

a beautiful blue sky blue (pace Steve) day today but bloody cold so about to pop out for a walk in the very Southern edge of Epping Forest, just 200 yards from house in the last of my original sheepskins...an Aero B6 (sold my 2 Irvins and a B6 a year or so ago, this is almost as warm and about a quarter of the weight of those)

B6.JPG
IMG_8831 (1).JPG