• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Brettafett

The cuffs on my Platon are very tight, being new. So much so that they ride up a lot. The material feels coarser then I’m used to and actually feels like it’s rubbing me raw. And I ain’t no delicate flower;) is there a way to stretch them a bit without damaging them?
You could wet/ soak them and let them air dry. Be careful.

Brettafett

Out of pure curiosity, what is seen as the easiest/comfiest contract that is currently made by the current makers?
Totally depends imo.
Bi-swing back (USN types, & ANJ-3) makes for easier arm motion, its more comfy sitting with arms out-stretched. No arm 'pull'.
Rayon lining is considered by some more comfy to wear (soft & silky), than cotton, esp in warmer climates... less robust perhaps...

As far as A-2s, pick your poison.
Reading through John's descriptions helps a ton. But everyone has different body types, different fit preferences etc.
Personally, I'd say... A-2s with slightly wider shoulders and/ or slightly wider arm holes, tend to be easier to wear, but then go up a size and that theory goes out the window.
Also, those contracts that have neck lines that sit a bit lower or slightly larger neck holes.

A skinny bloke may not find the boxy, wide bodies contracts comfy, just like a chap with lots of 'muscle' might find the trimmer contracts restrictive.

Personally, I find the Dubow very comfy.
My first GW was a Knopf 18246, also extremely comfy as I recall.
AVIs 'Bronco's are nice, and I am debating one from John, which Im sure at the correct size would be epic.
Ive developed a preference for simple collars (non-collar stands), they sit out the way, some have a lower neckline...

I think all in all, the USN jackets win on comfort and wearability (but I struggle with the mouton collars in warmer months...). But for me, I just love the classic A-2.
An ANJ-3 with the bi-swing back and leather collar, is a great middle ground maybe.

This is a discussion for a get-together at an airshow, or over a Guiness lol

Pa12

I know it’s not johns favourite contract but I love it. Bought it from wz and when I put it on it felt tailor made. I don’t know if he had it custom made , or it’s a stock 44. If it’s custom made then we’re anatomical twins.

Pa12

Here it is first time on
DFC28245-673B-4C75-B118-4FC9DA4047C4.jpeg

Smithy

Brett is completely right. The bi-swing jackets are actually far easier and more comfortable to wear. That's the reason why they went down that route afterwards.

But we love the A-2 because when we think about US airmen flying P-51s or P-47s or B-17s or B-24s, etc, etc during WWII that is the jacket we think of.

In truth the A-2 is actually a pretty hopeless jacket. The B-10 and B-15 blow it out of the park for ease of use, comfort and practicality.

But you can't beat the A-2 on the cool-o-meter because it was worn by so many flyboys and they made it look good.

Smithy

If I had to take one of my jackets (not parkas) if there was war, or a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, etc it would never be an A-2. I love my A-2s but they're utterly shit as a practical jacket, the worst of the worst.

They look great poncing around and posing in photos pretending to look like airmen from WWII but the fact of the matter is that they're not a good jacket.

There's a reason why the USAAF moved away from them and there's a reason why no modern air force would use them as actual "operational combat kit".

We love them around here for obvious and nostalgic reasons but as a functional piece of military kit they're crap.

And I'm saying that standing in the GW queue. Great looking jackets with heaps of history, but absolute shit in terms of usefulness as a piece of military equipment.

Smithy

Terrible phone pic of my very 'yummy' BK Dubow...
View attachment 81482

Seriously Brett, you need to treat your jackets like you hate them.

That looks like new. Take a leaf out of Steve's (Micawber) book and wear the bloody things.

It's just a jacket. If it gets a scratch on it, no big deal, if it gets a funny crease, no big deal.

The best thing I ever did was stop giving a shit about my jackets.

And for two reasons...they look better when they're worn and if you kill one jacket that's a great excuse to buy another.

Lorenzo_l

It's been ages since I last posted on this thread. Not much of a jacket-type weather around southern France these last days, plus lots of work, if I needed an excuse. However, it was a nice evening, with a nice sunset to boot so, for show and tell, here is my new-to-me original Dubow 27798, in goat:

DSC_0093_2.jpg

Still discernible on the jacket's back panel is the artwork depicting a P-38 from the 49 FS, 14 FG:

DSC_0100_2.jpg

The jacket has known provenance to a 49 FS, 14 FG's pilot. I will be posting a more detailed review, including more pictures and information on the pilot the jacket was issued to, in a future post on the Vintage forum.

As a member of this respected forum once said, once you get an original, you are in "the heart of darkness". That's where you'll find me now

Last edited: