• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Us About Your First Flight Jacket And How It Met It’s Demise. ( Or Where It Is Now)

Chandler

Factory Fresh!
i0w6wTr.jpg

"Made fresh to exact 1941 government specs." Hmm.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

You can poo poo them, but I still say for pre-1983 when there was only maybe two other choices, Avirex and Cooper they were not too bad. All the other reproduction companies had not started yet. Aero, Eastman etc. You couldn't readily find exacting knits etc at that time. Not bad considering what they had to work with. I know mine is going to hang in the closet as more of a collectors item rather than a daily wearer, but I just have to defend them a bit as not the worst I've seen.

Chandler

You can poo poo them, but I still say for pre-1983 when there was only maybe two other choices, Avirex and Cooper they were not too bad. All the other reproduction companies had not started yet. Aero, Eastman etc. You couldn't readily find exacting knits etc at that time. Not bad considering what they had to work with. I know mine is going to hang in the closet as more of a collectors item rather than a daily wearer, but I just have to defend them a bit as not the worst I've seen.
It's possible that we have 2 different vintages of FAI jackets, but I just know the one I own is the worst "repro" I've seen myself. And I bought my Avirex not long after in an attempt to upgrade.

Have you posted images of yours? We might be able to compare.

Spitfireace

It could still use some more "wearing in" but the steerhide will develop more character if you beat it around some more. I got it in pretty much unused condition.

Spitfireace

If it's goat it's very fine grain goat. Then you mentioned steer. I can't exactly say it's goat. Very fine grain. I think it is.

Spitfireace

Have to admit there was a shiny part on the forearm sleeve, so I took some rubbing alcohol to it. Works to take off shine you don't want.

Chandler

I wonder if FAI made a different line of jackets for Kropp to sell cheap?

Anyone have a history on FAI? Or even another jacket to compare?

Chandler

Cause like ya, as you see they weren't all crap.
Well, consider yourself lucky because -- on the flipside, they weren't all gems at all -- see below, I haven't been lying to you.

jsN6wny.jpg

z2FdZdF.jpg

SpB4s5b.jpg

Apologies for the bad clarity on the first image, my phone camera isn't always cooperative.

Check out the knits -- the cuffs and the waist are 2 different colors. And the finish on the very thin hide -- my M-41 is thicker than this. However, I think the zipper is the same! ;)

FWIW -- my size tag is on the right side of the spec tag -- makes me think there was a helluva lot of variation at FAI.

Last edited:

Chandler

Change the knits.. wouldn't look too bad.
Doesn't fit me anymore, not worth the trouble -- which should tell me something. ;)

It's seriously a paper thin jacket that's worthless, but it was my first "repro" and I've carried it with me forever.

Spitfireace

Two other observances. One is the single stitch epaulettes. The only other A-2 like that I know of is the 1937 Werber. The other thing is that while they used a military brass Scovill zip puller acquired from where I don't know, the zipper itself is some kind of inferior type. The male pin side on mine was wonky from the time I received it. Now it is torn (the tape) but it still works, but if I were to wear it much, I would want to replace that side. That would be the most economical solution anyways. Those are really the only two issues I have with the jacket. Like you I've sort of moved on for the cheap jacket. I mean I have other A-2's but there is something to be said for a cheap beat around jacket. I have an Aero that I bought in 2005, it's not cheap. But it's kind of snug on me. So I didn't want to spend that kind of money on another one. I'm currently wearing a Protech made in Plymouth Massachusetts around 1990. Knits not authentic WW2, zipper YKK USA. Nice grainy goatskin, fits really nicely, can fit a thin sweater under it. Looks the part.
20220501_105851.jpg