• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Us About Your First Flight Jacket And How It Met It’s Demise. ( Or Where It Is Now)

Ed Rooney

I picked up a FAI A-2 a few years ago for something like $50. It was like new, but had a tire company logo embroidered on the left breast. I figured I could pluck that off and add a patch as it was right where a namestrip might go. It was a 42, but a bit "toight", so I sold it at a small profit. The leather was not bad. It was a smooth cowhide, but it had about the same thickness as horse. I imagined it would break in nicely.

Last edited:

fleet16b

Wanted a “flight jacket “ for a long time
In 1985 , I bought one with my first pay check at my new job. Got it from a company called Lepper Aviation ( no longer in business) It is I think cowhide . It cam an with a detachable collar and quilted lining. Sort of an A2/G1 combo.
I eventually ditched the fur collar and quilted lining but flew many years wearing it. Until I could afford an Eastman.
Still have the jacket. The lining has autographs of the many people that helped me or influenced me in aviation including General Chuck Yeager who was in fact the first to sign it.
It is also full of patches that I put on it over the years. It’s too small for me now but hangs in my office to this day .

Members online

Latest posts