• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Us About Your First Flight Jacket And How It Met It’s Demise. ( Or Where It Is Now)

B-Man2

You mean the stuff that would be frowned upon by today's society, but we're commonplace up to the early 80s?

Oh, the things I did that no 12-year-old would even dream of. :)
Ok Chandler…..you can’t write something like that down … and then just leave us hanging ……C’mon spill it….;)

Tattoo A2

My first A2 was of course at the time from Cockpit, avirex, whatever they were at the time, I was a teenage delinquent but collected WW2 stuff from like the age 10. Had a great guy named Steve who was a big collector in the early 70s , so anything he didnt want that he got in a collection he would give to me. Anyway, loved Hogans Heroes and Great escape so wanted that jacket. Saw a cockpit commercial at 3am in the morning and said your gonna save and get one of those, looked like the most accurate ones I had seen to date....short story longer, got it, loved it and kinda like Burts story, years later a very good looking young lady asked to wear it home on a cold night, and the rest is history...Id take the jacket back if I could,m she was good, but not great, lol

Chandler

Ok Chandler…..you can’t write something like that down … and then just leave us hanging ……C’mon spill it….;)
How much time do you have?

As @Micawber touched on, I think we all had our moments in those days.

Jumping our bicycles and then jumping off (no helmets). Being the one to climb highest in the tree. Finding shotgun shells and trying to ignite them with paper and flame (fireworks is a whole separate thread). Wandering the streets after dark when anything could happen (and most often did).

My friend and I knew just how to get to the roof of our high school without a ladder. Where Eagles Dare, indeed. :D

Yeah -- my rule #1 was "Never get caught." If caught, apply rules #2, 3, and 4 -- deny, deny, deny.

Pa12

How much time do you have?

As @Micawber touched on, I think we all had our moments in those days.

Jumping our bicycles and then jumping off (no helmets). Being the one to climb highest in the tree. Finding shotgun shells and trying to ignite them with paper and flame (fireworks is a whole separate thread). Wandering the streets after dark when anything could happen (and most often did).

My friend and I knew just how to get to the roof of our high school without a ladder. Where Eagles Dare, indeed. :D

Yeah -- my rule #1 was "Never get caught." If caught, apply rules #2, 3, and 4 -- deny, deny, deny.
My buddies and I always lived by those words too. Until the cops put us in 3 different rooms and got 3 different stories ;):(

Smithy

I got an excellent Highwayman like jacket in 1996 which was bulletproof and which although not a flight jacket per se started me off. Wore the bejesus out of it until 2003 when I bought a civilian "flying jacket", one with a sheepskin collar and brown leather. Still got the brown leather one but I was a drip and gave the Highwayman one to a mate. What an idiot - as it was as good a quality as the best makers with beautiful leather but no label. I really should see if I can beg for it back.

Smithy

My buddies and I always lived by those words too. Until the cops put us in 3 different rooms and got 3 different stories ;):(

We got in shit for making Molotov cocktails and biffing them at one of the old train stops which obviously caught fire and burnt down. I was a bit wild but I had a mate who was beyond the pale, he lived at the bottom of a big hill and used to pour petrol on the road in things like pentagrams and wait until cars were nearly there and light it up. Last straw was when he bought about $100 of fireworks just before Guy Fawkes (which was a shitload in those days and an incredible amount of money). He emptied all the gunpowder and whathaveyou out and stuffed it into an old iron pipe with a wick and buried in the front garden. When he lit it, it blew out all the front windows of the house and two other houses beside them and also a half metre crater in the garden. There was shrapnel over 100 metres away. There was an enormous hoofluff with the police and he was very lucky. He got packed off for an exchange year in Japan. And now, he's now a very successful international corporate merger lawyer based in Japan :)

entertainment

We got in shit for making Molotov cocktails and biffing them at one of the old train stops which obviously caught fire and burnt down. I was a bit wild but I had a mate who was beyond the pale, he lived at the bottom of a big hill and used to pour petrol on the road in things like pentagrams and wait until cars were nearly there and light it up. Last straw was when he bought about $100 of fireworks just before Guy Fawkes (which was a shitload in those days and an incredible amount of money). He emptied all the gunpowder and whathaveyou out and stuffed it into an old iron pipe with a wick and buried in the front garden. When he lit it, it blew out all the front windows of the house and two other houses beside them and also a half metre crater in the garden. There was shrapnel over 100 metres away. There was an enormous hoofluff with the police and he was very lucky. He got packed off for an exchange year in Japan. And now, he's now a very successful international corporate merger lawyer based in Japan :)
I was going to write about the bomb I made with my friend, but this just completely tops it.

Pa12

I could probably do a whole thread on blowing up shit. Fireworks weren’t regulated much in the 60’s so Victoria Day ( know as firecracker day back then) was more fun then Christmas. Kids everywhere with explosives. Like little demolition teams.

Smithy

I was at a big beach party once and someone chucked a propane tank on the fire. I'm amazed that no-one was killed. Fuck, what a bang. That was seriously terrifying.