• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Us About Your First Flight Jacket And How It Met It’s Demise. ( Or Where It Is Now)

B-Man2

I thought that this might be a way to generate a little participation here, as everyone can remember their very first flight jacket that got them started in this hobby.,
I told this story before, so I’ll make it short. Like most guys in the US who wore A2 jackets back in the early nineties, Avirex was pretty much the closest you could find to a good repro A2 jacket. I had one in seal that I did a high point sanding job on and it looked pretty good. I used to wear it everyday and occasionally all night as well. ( crazy times in my youth) . I rode a Harley and one night I went to a bar and met a girl who wanted a ride on the bike. It was cold out and I gave her my jacket to wear on the ride back to her place. When I left to go home I forgot the jacket .As the story plays out, I never saw her or the jacket again.
That’s my story of the demise of my first flight jacket . What’s yours?? :)

Spitfireace

The jacket that got me into the hobby or obsession as it were was a gift from a friend of mine who was also gifted the jacket from a friend. It didn't fit him as he is much taller than me. I gave him a hand on his car one time, and he gave me the jacket because he couldn't wear it. It's a so called Thunder Bay as Aero Scotland calls it. Supposedly a Franco Canadian if there were a label. Ken's Thunder Bay also has no label, but somebody at Aero figured somehow it
20191224_201952.jpg
was.

B-Man2

The jacket that got me into the hobby or obsession as it were was a gift from a friend of mine who was also gifted the jacket from a friend. It didn't fit him as he is much taller than me. I gave him a hand on his car one time, and he gave me the jacket because he couldn't wear it. It's a so called Thunder Bay as Aero Scotland calls it. Supposedly a Franco Canadian if there were a label. Ken's Thunder Bay also has no label, but somebody at Aero figured somehow itView attachment 85012 was.
Do you still have it ? Or did you move it on?

JonnyCrow

I thought that this might be a way to generate a little participation here, as everyone can remember their very first flight jacket that got them started in this hobby.,
I told this story before, so I’ll make it short. Like most guys in the US who wore A2 jackets back in the early nineties, Avirex was pretty much the closest you could find to a good repro A2 jacket. I had one in seal that I did a high point sanding job on and it looked pretty good. I used to wear it everyday and occasionally all night as well. ( crazy times in my youth) . I rode a Harley and one night I went to a bar and met a girl who wanted a ride on the bike. It was cold out and I gave her my jacket to wear on the ride back to her place. When I left to go home I forgot the jacket .As the story plays out, I never saw her or the jacket again.
Talking of doing the same Burt I lost a good motor jacket like that in a rock club when I was drunk haha youth eh

Spitfireace

Thanks, rarely wear it. I feel like I have to have an attitude when I wear it or something. Maybe shouldn't have gone and bought it. But when I was up late on eBay I just thought it looked right and had to have it. Don't regret how it fits though. Also the steer hide is pretty awesomely broken in.

Spitfireace

First A-2 original bought in 2005 I think. It's a Monarch and I bought it from Aero Leather Scotland website when they were selling more originals back then. It had been redyed in service and then original patches taken off so I found out who the pilot was by the name and serial number stamped in the jacket. Then found his unit. Took off the wrong replacement insignia and put on the proper unit patches. Took a lot of research.
20191224_202435.jpg

Brettafett

First was an Avirex M-422a blood chit 'bomber'... I loved it. Was so comfortable.
Girlfriend claimed it. Being young and hopelessly in love, I let her. When we split up, well... Lessons learned.

At around the same time, I bought my first A-2. A Cooper Commemorative Edition orange label. Goatskin.
Again, I really liked it, although the sleeves felt a bit short, esp when I lifted arms. This was my first 'it feels short' experience and it stuck.
Ended up selling it for this reason.

Pa12

Also Avirex. Russet cowhide a-2 around 1984,85. Ordered it from an ad in the back of a plane and pilot magazine. Loved that jacket but it was always a bit small. Gave it to my sister in-law in 89 and she still wears it. I replaced it in 89 with the next size up but it was never the same. The replacement was seal cowhide and always had a cheap look to it. Still have it but haven’t worn it since 95 when I bought a flight suits horsehide.

Pa12

That’s the best demise story yet

MikeyB-17

I think mine was a River Island A-2-ish effort which I bought in Exeter. Only had it a few months when it tore-very easily. I took it back and got a refund. My next one was a G-1-ish job from Asda, very similar to the Schott ‘Flight Jackets’ (handwarmer pockets, zip-out fur lining, removable fur collar). Actually not a bad jacket, but I gave it away after I got my first Eastman A-2.

Juanito

Kind of a duplicate post from the L.L. Bean thread, but this is a good place for it. Thanks for starting this Burt!

I had always been fascinated with WWII aviation, I knew they wore leather jackets, but I didn't know any of the nomenclature. I lived in the middle of nowhere and used to buy just about everything mail order and one of my favorite places was L.L. Bean. Anyway, about 1982 or so I "discovered the L.L. Bean "Flying Tigers" A-2 and bought the Thinsulate version. It was a great jacket for what it was--I wore that thing everywhere.

About 1987 I discovered "The Cockpit" catalog and had to have one of the Horsehide A-2s, which was a dramatic step up from the L.L. Bean jacket.

The demise: Not so romantic--being a poor college student, the jacket was put on consignment at a local clothing shop and I think I got $35 out of it. I think it was $179 or $199 new? The good news it that found an identical jacket one size larger on eBay maybe 10 years ago. I rarely wear it, but when I do pull it out of the jacket armoire, it does remind me of an extraordinary period in life.

I think this is the only photo I have of that jacket--circa 1985 hanging out at the fraternity:

Chandler

Definitely brought this one up before. Schott bought from "Arnold's Army Surplus" (they carried more than surplus) in 1977 or 1978. Wore it for my last year of high school and throughout college -- even wore it downhill and XC skiing once or twice!

And no demise, still hanging in the closet behind me as I type. Doesn't fit anymore, but I still have it. ;)

l7yUsRR.jpg

Micawber

I think the honour of being my first flying jacket (as they were commonly called by everyone I remember over here) would have to go to the original Irvin that came from who knows where when I was a kid back in the early 1960's. They were considered cheap military surplus back then and easily and cheaply available from no end of market stalls, surplus stores or tucked away in wardrobes, storage trunks etc. I have a feeling it eventually gave up the ghost after the rough and tumble of being worn by a lad playing boy type outdoor games, bike riding along tracks through the woods, camp building ...you know the usual stuff that can be mentioned in a public forum. I used to swap and sell stuff even back then so perhaps it found a new home but I really don't remember.

JonnyCrow

I think the honour of being my first flying jacket (as they were commonly called by everyone I remember over here) would have to go to the original Irvin that came from who knows where when I was a kid back in the early 1960's. They were considered cheap military surplus back then and easily and cheaply available from no end of market stalls, surplus stores or tucked away in wardrobes, storage trunks etc. I have a feeling it eventually gave up the ghost after the rough and tumble of being worn by a lad playing boy type outdoor games, bike riding along tracks through the woods, camp building ...you know the usual stuff that can be mentioned in a public forum. I used to swap and sell stuff even back then so perhaps it found a new home but I really don't remember.
Sounds like the days of playing war as well in bombed out post war buildings throwing house bricks haha at least I did in the early 70's, good stuff, right about Irvin's though, a mates grandad gave his to his son for his motorcycle, he was on Whitley's and Halifax bombers in ww2

Members online

Latest posts