• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

ausreenactor

Major Norman Isaac Winning was the Commanding Officer of the 2/8th Australian Cavalry Commando Squadron. Major Winning was formerly Commanding Officer of 2/5th Australian Independent Company and in this position he planned and led the raid on Salamaua on 29 June 1942, this was the first offensive action in the South West Pacific Area.

View attachment 46727
MOROKAIMORO, BOUGAINVILLE, 1945-06-07. NATIVE SCOUTS ASSIST OUR TROOPS IN LOCATING TRACKS AND REPORTING MOVEMENTS OF THE ENEMY. HERE WITH LT H.J. ROBERTS, AND MAJ N.I. WINNING, OFFICER COMMANDING 2/8 COMMANDO SQUADRON

View attachment 46728
MOROKAIMORO, BOUGAINVILLE, 1945, MAJ N.I. WINNING, COMMANDING OFFICER, 2/8 COMMANDO SQUADRON, OFFICER COMMANDING RAFFLES FORCE, SETTING OUT FROM THE SQUADRON HEADQUARTERS ON A RECONNAISSANCE PATROL.

That's him. Did up a tribute uniform and beret.. Original rank slides cost more than the repro 'greens'.

ausreenactor

Grabbed the two Airsoft/Dummy guns today. OMG. So many cool toys in that shop. WE Glock with Dark Earth frame was very nice...

20210705_135955.jpg
20210705_140003.jpg
20210705_160728.jpg

Thomas Koehle

Well the thing with firearms is some people are really fascinated - some direct the opposite

i was always pretty interested and i enjoy to shoot - unfortunately or maybe luckily use and ownership of firearms is strictly restrcted in Germany

Anyway - as soon as i get some sparetime on my bizz-trips to the US i visit a shooting range and it is always fun

M1928 Thompson Gun - dumped 200 rounds - what a blast

b2Y9PT9.jpg

Pilot

Sure you can easily access to these here, they offer a lot:)

tda003

I have both an M-1 and an M-1 carbine. The M-1 is all original and was built in 1944. I don't know if if saw combat in either WWII or Korea. It's shy and won't talk to me. I had an M-14 in boot camp and Vietnam, but an M-1 during infantry training as the M-14's were used in boot camp and ITR and there weren't enough to go around, the M-1's were trotted out for ITR. Some were new match rifles.

The M-1 Carbine had been, like all M-1 carbines, sent to the arsenal to be upgraded with a different stock and bayonet attachment after WWII to facilitate fast conversion to M-2's. You can still find the conversion parts on eBay to do the conversion. However (BIG CAVEAT!), once you possess all the parts to convert, it's a felony regardless of whether or not the conversion is done.

My M-1 Carbine is "corrected" which means that all the parts, stock, front sight and all internals match for time and maker (Inland). It took a while to do this. Parts came from as far as Cyprus.

Pilot

With all due respect for an iconic weapon.. but it had no power, no range, no armor piercing, no sniper capabilities and had a lot of issues in WW2, Korea, Indochina, Algeria….
Other allied weapons were by far superior.
Back in 1981 we had a few of them during basic training in Aubagne, Pau and Castelnau….( for fun only) it was ok for target practice, and sparrows shooting… full stop…
The only positive point was… 200 rounds were very light to carry compared to all others 7,62 and 12,7, we had as standard issued.

B-Man2

Well the thing with firearms is some people are really fascinated - some direct the opposite

i was always pretty interested and i enjoy to shoot - unfortunately or maybe luckily use and ownership of firearms is strictly restrcted in Germany

Anyway - as soon as i get some sparetime on my bizz-trips to the US i visit a shooting range and it is always fun

M1928 Thompson Gun - dumped 200 rounds - what a blast

b2Y9PT9.jpg
Thomas
Great photo !

Clark J

Has anyone found out if these are being sold in the US ? If so where ?? The CMP does a great job of going through a gun completely and stand behind their products !! I qualify to buy one and belong to a gun club but costs a lot of cash to shot a legend, that’s if you can even find ammo . I’ve shot both and for a practical shooter I would get the carbine.

tda003

Pilot,
The M-1 carbine was never intended to be a main battle weapon. It was essentially designed as a "side arm" for troops whose primary weapon was other that an M-1, e.g. tankers, combat photographers, mortar men, officers, etc. and to be used like they would use a 1911.

ausreenactor

Pilot,
The M-1 carbine was never intended to be a main battle weapon. It was essentially designed as a "side arm" for troops whose primary weapon was other that an M-1, e.g. tankers, combat photographers, mortar men, officers, etc. and to be used like they would use a 1911.
Dad's M1 Carbine was the single item that pushed me down the US WWII path.