• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

Micawber

Dear, dear, dear. Holland & Holland or at a pinch Purdey for me Old Boy. I also have a soft spot for the work of Stephen Grant but H&H all day every day ;)

Enigma1938

No doubt about it the M1903A sniper rifle was another great weapon that took its inspiration from the Mauser . But you can’t deny the semi automatic rapid fire capability of the M1 Garand . 8 rounds as fast as you can come back down on target and squeeze the trigger. That’s a real force multiplier on a battle field that was essentially dominated by bolt action rifles .

Don't forget the circumstance with the "pling", the noise when the ammo clip ejects. The germans learned that when they heared the pling, the enemy had to reload his weapon and is almost defenseless for a few seconds. A lot Gi's let their life because of that.

B-Man2

Don't forget the circumstance with the "pling", the noise when the ammo clip ejects. The germans learned that when they heared the pling, the enemy had to reload his weapon and is almost defenseless for a few seconds. A lot Gi's let their life because of that.
True stories for sure .
My dad was an airborne guy during much of the war and told me that many of the guys carried an empty m1 clip in there pockets . When the shooting started several of them would pull the clip out and throw it against a wall or on the ground . When the Germans heard the “Ping” they would pop their heads up to see who was out of ammo and get picked off by the rest of the guys .

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Had read that before...

Semi auto is a double edged sword. Fire discipline is very important. Lots of rounds suits those that can't make them count.

The pile of No.5 Jungle Carbines would probably generate some robust sales around the World.

B-Man2

Couchy
No 5 Jungle carbines in original condition with all matching serial numbers are bringing big bucks in the US. Gun markets. Even those in average condition. I remember as a kid back in the 50s they were advertised in Gun magazines for $19.95 each, NOS in cosmoline. I would love to have a couple of those packed away .

dinomartino1

Eisenhower, Churchill, and Omar Bradley firing M1 carbines during a visit to the US 2nd Armoured Division on Salisbury Plain, 23 March 1944.

GENbUXt-2.jpg

Qx86sAwJO5Ej-ZYqAgz_whTi-zwTmq01j5xv6ubK6RE.jpg

B-Man2

Dino
I love seeing photos that are unique or that I’ve never seen before, and you have a bunch of them Dino.

Smithy

Dear, dear, dear. Holland & Holland or at a pinch Purdey for me Old Boy. I also have a soft spot for the work of Stephen Grant but H&H all day every day ;)

Ooh now you're talking. My favourite big calibre rifle is the H&H .470. My Mum lived in Southern Rhodesia for a time as she had an uncle who had a farm there. One of Mum's claims to fame was she went hunting hippo on the Limpopo River with my great uncle's H&H .470...

AsiXbf8.jpg

ausreenactor

Ooh now you're talking. My favourite big calibre rifle is the H&H .470. My Mum lived in Southern Rhodesia for a time as she had an uncle who had a farm there. One of Mum's claims to fame was she went hunting hippo on the Limpopo River with my great uncle's H&H .470...

AsiXbf8.jpg
Great, right up until the point where you have to pay for it. ;)

ausreenactor

You'll like this Couchy, that's the same great uncle of mine who was in the 7th Anti-tank :)

Photos mate.. I have this romantic perception of this great man in my head.... Flick me an address. I had some patches made up for a BD jacket and grabbed a set for you.. 2 x 1 inch.. Not sure if that is correct.. I know the shape is legit. Have not found a pic with the patches attached to a BD jacket or shirt..

Smithy

Photos mate.. I have this romantic perception of this great man in my head.... Flick me an address. I had some patches made up for a BD jacket and grabbed a set for you.. 2 x 1 inch.. Not sure if that is correct.. I know the shape is legit. Have not found a pic with the patches attached to a BD jacket or shirt..

He was a pretty neat fellow. He was very restless and couldn't settle down after the war back in NZ (too quiet) and so went farming in Southern Rhodesia. He had a tobacco farm about an hours drive from Salisbury/Harare.

Thanks so much mate! I've got some photos of him and the 7th in both North Africa and Italy but I'll have to dig them out. It's been an idea to have them framed and put them up in the hallway with the rest of the portraits of my family's delinquents and rogues ;-)

dinomartino1

The M1 carbine was utilised by some units in British airborne forces notably the SAS/SBS and elements of 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade in the Mediterranean theatre of operations. It was also utilised by Chindit units in the Far East and by British Commonwealth units and the NZ, Rhodesian and British SAS regiments during the Malayan emergency in the 1950's

EQalx_lXUAAVK8y.jpeg

British SBS (Special Boat Service) member Cpl. Aubrey, armed with a M1 Carbine and Webley revolver in the Aegean in 1944

The_Chindits_MH7287.jpg

Brigadier "Mad" Mike Calvert (left) gives orders to Lieutenant-Colonel Shaw, while Major James Lumley stands with M1 carbine under his arm, after the capture of Mogaung in Burma during the second Chindit expedition, June 1944.
Major James Lumley was the father of the actress Joanna Lumley.

PicSniper.jpg

Arnhem 1944, first floor front balcony of the Hartenstein Hotel.

na-20515-4-para-bn-athens-6-dec-1944-(1).jpg

2nd Independent Parachute Brigade, Greece

SAS AMBUSH GREEK ISLANDS WEAPON VARIATIONS.jpg

The Sacred Band or Sacred Squadron was a Greek special forces unit formed in 1942 in the Middle East under the command of Col. Christodoulos Tsigantes. It fought alongside the SAS in the Western Desert and the Aegean, as well as with General Leclerc's Free French Forces in Tunisia. It was disbanded in August 1945 but is the precursor of the modern Greek Special Forces.

G9FpEXeSAsuBx_-A-IEw3x9KTgbXF1qfYHnVD92U_gE-2.jpg

Royal Australian Regiment infantryman with M3 Korean war.

4111967.JPG

Korea 1951, Private Cliff Hoskins, Royal Australian Regiment

nzsas_56_malaya.jpg

New Zealand SAS patrol Malaya 1950's

4093240.JPG

1966 Viet Nam, RAAF Leading Aircraftman Chatham checks his M1 Carbine before taking up duty on the lonely night shift at Vung Tau airfield.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

I had no Idea the Mi carbine was so widely used ,thanks for the pictures .

Bip

Britain received over 200,000 M1 Carbines during the Second World War as part of the Lend-Lease programme. After the war the British issued many of these to colonial paramilitary forces for use in counter-insurgency operations. The small light M1 Carbine was originally intended for use as a personal defence weapon and was ideal for this use.

dinomartino1

MAJ N Winning, an OC of an Independent Company used the M1 Carbine too.

Major Norman Isaac Winning was the Commanding Officer of the 2/8th Australian Cavalry Commando Squadron. Major Winning was formerly Commanding Officer of 2/5th Australian Independent Company and in this position he planned and led the raid on Salamaua on 29 June 1942, this was the first offensive action in the South West Pacific Area.

6176888-2.JPG

MOROKAIMORO, BOUGAINVILLE, 1945-06-07. NATIVE SCOUTS ASSIST OUR TROOPS IN LOCATING TRACKS AND REPORTING MOVEMENTS OF THE ENEMY. HERE WITH LT H.J. ROBERTS, AND MAJ N.I. WINNING, OFFICER COMMANDING 2/8 COMMANDO SQUADRON

3963883.JPG

MOROKAIMORO, BOUGAINVILLE, 1945, MAJ N.I. WINNING, COMMANDING OFFICER, 2/8 COMMANDO SQUADRON, OFFICER COMMANDING RAFFLES FORCE, SETTING OUT FROM THE SQUADRON HEADQUARTERS ON A RECONNAISSANCE PATROL.

Last edited: