• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

tda003

It's iconic and used through Vietnam. Dale Dye, the actor and movie consultant in things military, was a mustang marine officer and combat photographer. There are pictures of him carrying his in "the'Nam".

Smithy

Well the thing with firearms is some people are really fascinated - some direct the opposite

i was always pretty interested and i enjoy to shoot - unfortunately or maybe luckily use and ownership of firearms is strictly restrcted in Germany

Anyway - as soon as i get some sparetime on my bizz-trips to the US i visit a shooting range and it is always fun

M1928 Thompson Gun - dumped 200 rounds - what a blast

b2Y9PT9.jpg

I'm very jealous Thomas, always wanted to have a crack with a Tommy gun, although a Bren is top of the list ;-)

Thomas Koehle

I'm very jealous Thomas, always wanted to have a crack with a Tommy gun, although a Bren is top of the list ;-)

Well that was a one-time experience … - they had plenty of full-auto weapons for rent down there in Alabama.

I was pretty surprised how quick the barrel heated up. Other than that it was rather easy to keep her on target - maybe due to the weight. With a fully loaded 50 round drum-mag she is heavy like hell.

Wouldn’t have been the poor guy to drag her throug a jungle or so.

tda003

Thomas,
Really nice work putting together a quite real looking Thompson. I had a real one I captured while in Vietnam. It was quite obviously a WWII relic and had suffered over the 22 years it had been there. It and most of my "souvenirs" disappeared when I was medivaced. It still functioned perfectly, a testimony to its ruggedness.

Clark J

Clark,

I missed it. Which one are you talking about shooting? I missed it.
I’ve shot both but for just practical shooting it would be the carbine . $$$
Thomas,
Really nice work putting together a quite real looking Thompson. I had a real one I captured while in Vietnam. It was quite obviously a WWII relic and had suffered over the 22 years it had been there. It and most of my "souvenirs" disappeared when I was medivaced. It still functioned perfectly, a testimony to its ruggedness.
I’ve seen pics of helicopter pilots with Thompson’s without the butt stock and M2 carbines . My brother was a hook pilot and he loved the M79 had it with him when he flew !

Micawber

For me at least a relaxing way to while away a few minutes is to wind down in front of a log fire on a winter's evening. Dog asleep beside your chair dreaming about the days labours, curtains pulled to keep out the night, a couple of fingers of fine malt in a glass at your elbow. All the while you are reflecting and savouring the memories of the day - that stratospheric pheasant you pulled down with a single shot, the successful right and left at a brace of partridges as they burst over an old hedgerow, maybe the pigeon with the afterburners on, gale up its tail high over the roosting wood, the old Lab following it intently, tail wagging as you raise the fine English side by side to your shoulder - bang - and the birds head snaps back dead, then the bird helicopters down through the branches lands in the damp leaves a way away to be retrieved and delivered to hand by the same dog asleep and dreaming beside your chair now.

Coming back the present you lift the barrels of that same gun that was hand crafted not long after Victoria died, hook them back onto the action, pick up the fore-end and refit onto the barrels with a snap, saviour the scent of gun oil and boiled linseed oil for the last time before returning the piece to the secure cabinet you removed it from, full of hope and anticipation early that morning.

The dog looks up, wags its tail, sighs then goes back to dreaming doggie dreams of putting up peasants and retrieving ducks. You throw another log or two on the fire, sit down. Another drop of amber liquid in the tumbler? Why the hell not! A sip then you join your canine mate in the land of dreams.

It has been a good day.

Some guns are more than a tool, they are hand crafted, hand engraved, works of art from a bygone era.
IMG_20210707_150003_875_resize_57.jpg
IMG_20210707_145529_305_resize_18.jpg
IMG_20210707_145355_638_resize_94.jpg
IMG_20210707_145606_112_resize_91.jpg
IMG_20210707_150104_036_resize_70.jpg
IMG_20210707_150730_905~2_resize_46.jpg
IMG_20210707_150510_971~2_resize_69.jpg

Last edited:

Micawber

His Majesty King George Vince said "A (sporting) gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears". This one dates from 1877, it had lost one of it's ears so I made it another...

IMG_20210707_150425_096_resize_90.jpg
IMG_20210707_150341_722_resize_71.jpg

An example of browned Damascus barrels on another English SBS gun. Late 19th Century, low to midrange yet still a thing of beauty. Nitro reproofed in recent years, still in perfect working order.
IMG_20210707_151745_436_resize_65.jpg

ausreenactor

For me at least a relaxing way to while away a few minutes is to wind down in front of a log fire on a winter's evening. Dog asleep beside your chair dreaming about the days labours, curtains pulled to keep out the night, a couple of fingers of fine malt in a glass at your elbow. All the while you are reflecting and savouring the memories of the day - that stratospheric pheasant you pulled down with a single shot, the successful right and left at a brace of partridges as they burst over an old hedgerow, maybe the pigeon with the afterburners on, gale up its tail high over the roosting wood, the old Lab following it intently, tail wagging as you raise the fine English side by side to your shoulder - bang - and the birds head snaps back dead, then the bird helicopters down through the branches lands in the damp leaves a way away to be retrieved and delivered to hand by the same dog asleep and dreaming beside your chair now.

Coming back the present you lift the barrels of that same gun that was hand crafted not long after Victoria died, hook them back onto the action, pick up the fore-end and refit onto the barrels with a snap, saviour the scent of gun oil and boiled linseed oil for the last time before returning the piece to the secure cabinet you removed it from, full of hope and anticipation early that morning.

The dog looks up, wags its tail, sighs then goes back to dreaming doggie dreams of putting up peasants and retrieving ducks. You throw another log or two on the fire, sit down. Another drop of amber liquid in the tumbler? Why the hell not! A sip then you join your canine mate in the land of dreams.

It has been a good day.

Some guns are more than a tool, they are hand crafted, hand engraved, works of art from a bygone era.
View attachment 63984View attachment 63985View attachment 63986View attachment 63987View attachment 63988View attachment 63989View attachment 63990
Stunning piece of work....

Never got into shotguns.... hitting stuff is not as much of an art...
;)

Smithy

I'm pretty sure I posted this before in some bloody thread but what the hell here it is again because it's a real cannon.

My great uncle's Holland & Holland .470. He had a farm in Southern Rhodesia and used it for big game hunting. My Mum used it to go hippo hunting up the Limpopo River. You want to hold this bugger in very tight to the shoulder ;-)

AsiXbf8.jpg

ausreenactor

I'm pretty sure I posted this before in some bloody thread but what the hell here it is again because it's a real cannon.

My great uncle's Holland & Holland .470. He had a farm in Southern Rhodesia and used it for big game hunting. My Mum used it to go hippo hunting up the Limpopo River. You want to hold this bugger in very tight to the shoulder ;-)

AsiXbf8.jpg
I am offended that Rhino hunting is no longer allowed.

Thomas Koehle

Since @ausreenactor always poses with his stuff it is on me to hold against it :) :

my Thompson collection - all of them are deactivated according to German laws (6 caliber-size holes in the barrel, chamber welded solid, hardened bolt inserted through the barrelt and welded, pin cut, trigger mechanism welded solid)
meanwhile the already pretty restrictive gun-laws here in Germany are getting more and more strict and even magazines are restricted which wasn't the fact before

anyway - last time i bought a deact was years ago - they simply get too expensive and since DENIX is a acceptable alternative i'd rather go with their products

the M1928 on the top was part of a "lend lease" delivery to Russia - the gun was literally brandnew untouched when i got it - the story behind is the vessel with guns, belts, magpouches 'n stuff arrived in Russia in time but the vessel carrying the .45 ammo was sunk by the kriegsmarine - true or not?

M1 and M1A1 (used bt Tom Hanks in SPR) and the earlier models like M1921 or M1928 (Chicago Typewriter) are easy to distinguish with the location of the cocking handle which is on the top on the 1921 and 1928 models and on the right side on the M1 and M1A1 models

On the very bottom is a DENIX repop which i modified to look more realistic

xrrZxTg.jpg