• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

Bombing IP

The M1 carbine is a pistol bullet in a short rifle ,has no real power or reach out and touch you ability .Now the big brother M1 Garand now thats a piece of kit worth having ,called the greatest battle rifle by General Patton .I would sooner go to war with this than M16 or any other piece of kit out there .In fact I have 2 of them in 30.06 8 round en block . The rifle went on to become the basis of the M1A and Beretta made there own version under licence called the BM 59 incredibly beautiful . Sorry to go off topic

If you want an M1 carbine or an M1 Garand write to the Government Dept of Civilian Marksmanship .Take the course choose your weapon and send it your money and paperwork and they will send you one well below market value . This is of course for Americans only .No need to get gouged by the dealers in the article above the Gov will sell you one .

Last edited:

B-Man2

The M1 carbine is a pistol bullet in a short rifle ,has no real power or reach out and touch you ability .Now the big brother M1 Garand now thats a piece of kit worth having ,called the greatest battle rifle by General Patton .I would sooner go to war with this than M16 or any other piece of kit out there .In fact I have 2 of them in 30.06 8 round en block . The rifle went on to become the basis of the M1A and Beretta made there own version under licence called the BM 59 incredibly beautiful . Sorry to go off topic

If you want an M1 carbine or an M1 Garand write to the government dept of civilian marksmanship .Take the course chose your weapon and send it your paperwork and they will send you one well below market value . This is of course for Americans only .
Outstanding analysis of the M1 Garand . The best damn battle rifle of WWII and the Korean War. Of course there was a little problem with an occasional “ M1 Thumb”:D but if you paid attention in boot camp and were quick that could always be avoided .

ausreenactor

The M1 Carbine was the gun that started it all for me.

Dad had a WWII issued Carbine via the Irish Army.. Never fired it; however, it started the ball rolling for the collection today. Live M1903A4, Hudson M1 Rifle, Denix M1 Carbine, MGC M1928 Thompson, Hudson M1 SMG, Hudson M3A1, CAW M3A1, Tanaka M1897, M1A1 Bazooka, Tanaka M1917 S&W, MGC Victory Model .38 and all the 1911 Colts..

One gun.. so much influence. Probably the sleekest military weapon ever produced.

ausreenactor

They have adjustable sighted, bayonet lugged M1s as WWII carbines? The flip sights and no lug were the WWII majority? Only a small percentage of Carbines had the adjustable sights.. and the bayonet lug wasn't introduced until May 1944..

Must be retrofitted?

RudyN

My M1 Carbine is a return from Spain which I bought through CMP. It has a bayonet lug and the the adjustable sights I was also able to get a M1 Garand and a 1903A3 from CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). Eventually I got a bayonet for my M! Carbine.

Cocker

Wouldn't trade my M1 Carbine for anything in the world! It's a 1943 Saginaw made, with a high wood stock. Everything on it was WW2 original (flip sight, push button safety...) except for the barrel band with bayonet lug that must have been upgraded post WW2. I change it's configuration a couple times a year, following what I want to shoot, swapping the original stock for a paratrooper one and back. My favourite setup is a post WW2 one, paratrooper stock, bayonet lug, adjustable sight, flip safety, late magazine catch and 30 rounds magazines. You gotta love how easily you can mod it without destroying anything, and being able to get back to its original configuration at any moment.

Also, couldn't be happier about how she shoots. Prone at 100m, I rarely go out of the black visual of the target, and when I do, it's always my fault.

B-Man2

I have M1 Garand, Carbine M1 .... but in precision and penetrating power I will alway prefer my Mauser K98.
Thats interesting about the penetration power of the 8mm cartridge . I’ve owned M-1s and fired .30 cal military ball ammo as well as black tipped armor piercing ammo and never though anything could beat that for penetration power . Of course when I’m comparing the two rounds , I’m comparing ball ammo to ball ammo , not the AP stuff. I should add on here that I also owned and fired a K-98 and still would go with the .30 cal for penetration over the 8 mm. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

John Lever

Call that a gun ?
This is a gun !

http://instagr.am/p/CG5TBxOBZIs/
Screenshot_20201103-204442.png

Bombing IP

Here is and interesting you tube film ,a man shoots someone else's M1 out to 500yds with open sights . Look at the cover above and note the wind .Then look at camp Perry results for this weapon .

BIP

B-Man2

No doubt about it the M1903A sniper rifle was another great weapon that took its inspiration from the Mauser . But you can’t deny the semi automatic rapid fire capability of the M1 Garand . 8 rounds as fast as you can come back down on target and squeeze the trigger. That’s a real force multiplier on a battle field that was essentially dominated by bolt action rifles .

Bombing IP

Mauser sued the Sprinfield the makers of the M1903a for copyright infringement.

The 1903 Springfield’s .30–06 cartridge is an evolution from the .30–40 Krag cartridge with a German Spitzer bullet instead of a round-nosed (.30–40) bullet that draws from both the 1893’s 7x57 mm and the 1898’s 7.92 (.30 cal.) Mauser cartridges. A U.S. Patent Court found that the Army had violated Mauser’s patents and required the U.S. Army to pay the private Mauser manufacturer, Ludwig & Loewe/DWM patent royalties until war with Germany was declared some years later.

Bombing IP

Word of warning re the safety of M1903a

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” M1903 SPRINGFIELDS
M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk, the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).

CMP does not recommend firing any Springfield rifle with a ”low number” receiver. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters.”

CMP also does not recommend firing any Springfield rifle, regardless of serial number, with a single heat-treated “low number” bolt. Such bolts, while historically correct for display with a rifle of WWI or earlier vintage, may be dangerous to use for shooting.

Taken form DCMP