• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dubow "Platon" A-2 Quality

mulceber

@mulceber Yeah it really looks like a great jacket!

Thanks! Badalassi might be a bit heavy for an A-2, but it’s a wonderful leather. I’ve since switched out the knits for more accurate purple Dubow knits. Here’s an up-to-date pic:
E2B62F22-44A6-4B8D-AC8E-3D90379E1166.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Oh yeah the purple knits are nice and it makes a subtle reddish tint come out or it's just me and/or the lighting. We can see the potential of the grain just waiting to come out with usage.

Do we know exactly what leather Platon uses for his jackets? I can't find the tread about it...

D

mulceber

It's Victoria tannery in Italy, same place that supplies Warhorse to Eastman, Vicenza to Aero, and John's Italian Horsehide. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the source for BK's Victory and Liberty Horsehide too.

Dany McDonald

Oh thank you for that! I remember reading about it but the name was vague in my memory. It's a superb skin and I would love to have the seal version, perhaps when Platon decide to recreate another Dubow contract.

I also love John's Horween, I saw some beautiful jackets (images) made from it. Does the leather provenance and character influence your choice of contract?

D

Thomas Koehle

Gentlemen,

i will never ever give my wife the opportunity for a "sneak peak" into our forum ...

Otherwise she will always tease me about "men bragging about millimeters in their garment" ...

No offense - i get every post in this thread coz i'm on your page gentlemen but which woman would ever understand ... :)

Last edited:

Wedge417

Some updates on the Platon A-2 I ordered last October. It finally arrived, but despite ordering a size 44, I received a size 42! This is my usual luck when ordering online! I'm rather bummed! The jacket fits. It's snug. I can fit a Pendleton wool shirt+Tshirt underneath but I'm concerned about future shrinkage when it gets worn. I'm thinking of sending it back to get my actual size 44.

Last edited:

Micawber

Some updates on the Platon A-2 I ordered last October. It finally arrived, but despite ordering a size 44, I received a size 42! This is my usual luck when ordering online! I'm rather bummed! The jacket fits. It's snug. I can fit a Pendleton wool shirt+Tshirt underneath but I'm concerned about future shrinkage when it gets worn. I'm thinking of sending it back to get my actual size 44.

Is it tagged 42? If it is send it back!

Wedge417

I emailed Platon right away, on Saturday. He replied in the next couple of hours apologizing and advising me to send the jacket back etc. that he would take care of shipment refund etc. So kudos for him replying on a weekend, and being very apologetic and I'd say agreeable. In my part of the world it's really getting rare so I did really appreciate it.

As it stands I'll keep the jacket. I've spent the whole weekend trying it on and off with various cloths combinations, Pendleton wool and plaid shirts, with wool knit pullover, and even with a thick navy wool pullover. It fits me well, and it's roomy enough to man that 50.cal or jettison over France.

To conclude I'd say that's an extra point for the whole Platon experience. The jacket is stunning, the packaging was neat, and the shipping at least for my part of the world was quick and bump-less.

xontros85

I think you should find out how to measure yourself properly. Then measure a perfect fitting shirt or denim jacket. Go back look at jacket measurements table for jacket your thinking of purchasing and compare.
repeat until certain.
Many on here can look at a jackets measurements and tell exactly how the jacket will look.
Next is personal, do you want a looser or tighter period look.
Next how authentic a copy are you looking for. If the thread spacing and cotton lining weight or small details are vitally important than there is a place for that.
Lastly how much do you think this jacket is worth to you..? There is a place for that too.

Measurements are vital get that right everything else will fall into place.

read all the repro Mfg guidance on measurements and sizing. Especially Goodwear and Platon.

Many on here have vast knowledge on Flight Jackets.

Measure twice, cut once.

Hello Stonel & all,

It's hard to help without your proper measurements, but from what I read and see in your posts, you could consider this Eastman posted on the FL Forum...

The leather is amazing, nice Crown repro and the measurements, slender, on the long side... The only drawback (for me) is the non repro label.

D
Hi there
Excuse in advance my “noobicity”
I’m up to buy my first A2 from 5* and I’m making a research especially about the “correct sizing”
Read your post and I realized that u r expert in that
I really like the “more fitted/slimmer” fitting on A2
I’m 1.90cm tall (6,2) and about 85-87kg / chest about 42”..bit slim but with “no workout belly” :)
I can provide detailed measurements of its necessary to someone who would have the kindness to help me on that
Also , I don’t know which “contract” i have to choose ..to tell the truth all look the same to me :)
Here is a photo I found random on internet..I love the color combo of the jacket (leather-knit)
Pls help :)
Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 4DF53D1F-F2FE-4F08-ADD2-B073A1469CB0.jpeg
    4DF53D1F-F2FE-4F08-ADD2-B073A1469CB0.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 99