• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dubow "Platon" A-2 Quality

Stonel

Yep, I think I'll see what I can get for it, even though the leather is almost too good to let go. Decisions decisions!

mulceber

Yeah, if it was my size, I'd be tempted to make an offer on it. It looks gorgeous, just not the right size.

Micawber

Aircrews didn't have the luxury of losing sleep over the fit of their issued gear as witnessed in myriads of photographs, you put up with what you were given or maybe tried to swap with someone else. Fortunately we do have that luxury although it can lead to all kinds of soul searching and endless try-ons in an attempt to find the holy grail of a perfect fit!

The only way to ensure you get as close to the holy grail in the shortest possible time with the least expense and frustration is to get yourself properly measured up! Either go to a tailor or decent gents outfitters and ask to be measured - for which they may or may not charge a nominal fee, or follow the myriad of online instructions and get someone else to do the honours with a tape measure. The process is not difficult to master, however you do have to be sensible.

Armed with your measurements you can then consult the various manufacturers tables to determine what will be right for you.

Now all that said as you have a decent jacket in hand you could set to with a tape and measure it up yourself. Doing so will give you a baseline and show you your keeper jacket needs to be ain inch smaller here but not there.

Measurements are key ;)

Brettafett

Late to the party, owned all the above also and attest to the Platon Dubow being on par with the top ends (and as Jorge says, maybe slightly above ELC and slightly below GW... Same as a BK).

I am 5'10/ 5'11 40" chest and have a 42 (I was very lucky to get a 'long' version right at the start), and the jacket fits very well. Quality and workmanship is superb.

An in-between option, would be to get a BK. Prices have gone up, (but you could email and ask....)
Still a lot cheaper and less wait than a GW, and you get options and can add length if needed.

Edit... As Steve mentions above, the best thing is make sure you measure your GW as accurately as possible.
Take notes on how it fits, how it could be improved etc

Every maker has a guide based on body measurements, but I have personally never found this working as well as its supposed too.
Why? Because fit, how you want to wear the jacket, want it to look etc is subjective.

London Cabbie

I think you should find out how to measure yourself properly. Then measure a perfect fitting shirt or denim jacket. Go back look at jacket measurements table for jacket your thinking of purchasing and compare.
repeat until certain.
Many on here can look at a jackets measurements and tell exactly how the jacket will look.
Next is personal, do you want a looser or tighter period look.
Next how authentic a copy are you looking for. If the thread spacing and cotton lining weight or small details are vitally important than there is a place for that.
Lastly how much do you think this jacket is worth to you..? There is a place for that too.

Measurements are vital get that right everything else will fall into place.

read all the repro Mfg guidance on measurements and sizing. Especially Goodwear and Platon.

Many on here have vast knowledge on Flight Jackets.

Measure twice, cut once.

Brettafett

This was suggested in another thread.
Put a deposit down on a GW and get in the queue, you'll have a year or two to put cash aside and deliberate on choices, sizing etc.

In mean time, try a Platon Dubow, or a secondhand jacket... Or even a new 5* or one of AVI's new Broncos (fits the tall and slim well)...
Give you something to wear and abuse in the meantime, and more importantly another set of jacket measurements.
Can also move it along when the Holy Grail arrives before you know it.

Just a thought.

Dany McDonald

Hello Stonel & all,

It's hard to help without your proper measurements, but from what I read and see in your posts, you could consider this Eastman posted on the FL Forum...

The leather is amazing, nice Crown repro and the measurements, slender, on the long side... The only drawback (for me) is the non repro label.

D

Stonel

Aircrews didn't have the luxury of losing sleep over the fit of their issued gear as witnessed in myriads of photographs, you put up with what you were given or maybe tried to swap with someone else. Fortunately we do have that luxury although it can lead to all kinds of soul searching and endless try-ons in an attempt to find the holy grail of a perfect fit!

The only way to ensure you get as close to the holy grail in the shortest possible time with the least expense and frustration is to get yourself properly measured up! Either go to a tailor or decent gents outfitters and ask to be measured - for which they may or may not charge a nominal fee, or follow the myriad of online instructions and get someone else to do the honours with a tape measure. The process is not difficult to master, however you do have to be sensible.

Armed with your measurements you can then consult the various manufacturers tables to determine what will be right for you.

Now all that said as you have a decent jacket in hand you could set to with a tape and measure it up yourself. Doing so will give you a baseline and show you your keeper jacket needs to be ain inch smaller here but not there.

Measurements are key ;)

Very wise words. I will put that on my list to do this week as the closest place to get measured is a little bit of a drive. Thanks

Stonel

Great advise from everyone. I am going to sell the GW and figure out my measurements once and for all. Kind of broken between BK and GW, but hey, why not try both!

Stonel

Hello Stonel & all,

It's hard to help without your proper measurements, but from what I read and see in your posts, you could consider this Eastman posted on the FL Forum...

The leather is amazing, nice Crown repro and the measurements, slender, on the long side... The only drawback (for me) is the non repro label.

D

Hey Dany, that is actually my jacket I am trying to sell. It is a stunning jacket but my arms are too long for it. Thank you though