• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dubow "Platon" A-2 Quality

Stonel

Yea for sure. Here you go.

East1.jpg
East2.jpg

Smithy

Smidge too short in the sleeves for my liking but well within the bounds of a period fit. Saying that it has the typical very narrow ELC forearms - if you workout you'll have trouble stuffing your arms in there.

Looks good otherwise, how much freedom of movement do you have in it? For example is it a pain in the arse to sit in a chair and lean forward to tie your shoelaces? Not trying to be funny but this is one thing I've found over the years is a telltale sign of a too restrictive fit.

Stonel

Yea the sleeves are definitely the reason for selling it. I don't get much range of motion when standing.

Stonel

I tried the official shoe tie test and it's actually not too bad. the sleeves do slide up halfway to my elbows though.

ausreenactor

This was suggested in another thread.
Put a deposit down on a GW and get in the queue, you'll have a year or two to put cash aside and deliberate on choices, sizing etc.

In mean time, try a Platon Dubow, or a secondhand jacket... Or even a new 5* or one of AVI's new Broncos (fits the tall and slim well)...
Give you something to wear and abuse in the meantime, and more importantly another set of jacket measurements.
Can also move it along when the Holy Grail arrives before you know it.

Just a thought.
But how do you know what it looks like. It will be amazing.. yes! But it is like having a new child. Exciting at first... then you have something you might not be 100% impressed with...that you put all your faith in... ;)

Smithy

I tried the official shoe tie test and it's actually not too bad. the sleeves do slide up halfway to my elbows though.

Failed the shoe test! Too small, move it along.

Seriously if it shoots up that much get rid of it, that's too much unless it doesn't worry you. I'd imagine there were many who suffered this during WWII but seeing as you're paying a small fortune for an A-2 now, you're allowed to be picky if you so wish!

Stonel

Quick question that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I am travelling to Ireland to study and want to make it over to the ELC factory and showroom. Does anyone know how easy it would be to travel across borders from Ireland to the UK during this time?

Micawber

Quick question that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I am travelling to Ireland to study and want to make it over to the ELC factory and showroom. Does anyone know how easy it would be to travel across borders from Ireland to the UK during this time?

Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland?

Micawber

Southern Ireland

Hope the following information will help....

Dany McDonald

Hello Stonel,

Jacket size from TFL
Size42
P2P: 21.9"
Sleeve.: 26" (incl. knits)
Shoulder: 18.9"
Back: 25.2" (incl. knits)

I actually think that the fit of your Elc is not that bad. Like Smithy said it's " within the bounds of a period fit " and I kinda of like it personally. I realize we are talking about personal prefs here but I do wear my Aero A-2 with about the same cuffs arm length as yours. You probably know that your A-2 will take your body shape and with time the motion will get a tiny bit better. Adding an inch to your sleeve will not necessarily make the "official shoe tie test" better, in my opinion, shoulders makes the range of motion better. A-2'a are just not M-422's (bi-swing back) in that respect.

But if you wanna have more sleeve at 27 inch for a size 42, and accuracy is important, customisation is your only way.... BK/GW.

Hey that's my 2 cents and I may be way off... :) take this with a grain of salt!

D

Stonel

Hope the following information will help....

Thank you.

Stonel

Hello Stonel,

Jacket size from TFL
Size42
P2P: 21.9"
Sleeve.: 26" (incl. knits)
Shoulder: 18.9"
Back: 25.2" (incl. knits)

I actually think that the fit of your Elc is not that bad. Like Smithy said it's " within the bounds of a period fit " and I kinda of like it personally. I realize we are talking about personal prefs here but I do wear my Aero A-2 with about the same cuffs arm length as yours. You probably know that your A-2 will take your body shape and with time the motion will get a tiny bit better. Adding an inch to your sleeve will not necessarily make the "official shoe tie test" better, in my opinion, shoulders makes the range of motion better. A-2'a are just not M-422's (bi-swing back) in that respect.

But if you wanna have more sleeve at 27 inch for a size 42, and accuracy is important, customization is your only way.... BK/GW.

Hey that's my 2 cents and I may be way off... :) take this with a grain of salt!

D

Well, the main thing is layering underneath, but I think I may hang onto it for a fall/spring jacket. Maybe a BK/GW is in my near future after a few paychecks.