• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

taikonaut

I'm not a fan of this upcomming Captain Marvel movie but it seems they have taken this feminist agenda even to this fantasy A2 jacket:confused:

carol-danvers-brown-jacket.jpg

johnwayne

Hey Taikonaut, like you my Dubow is same contract with removed tag and patch, very similar colour and leather grain from what I can see but without rushing to the wardrobe, I'm pretty positive the box stitching on the epaulet isn't that wide/big! The removed patch is unusual in that it's wasn't the 5" circular squadron/group style but was a small upright rectangle with an arc/h above and name tag above in reg position - there is a name and number inside that I'm researching into, however before anyone shouts, I know I've gone off thread, sorry chaps!!

taikonaut

Past few days I've been getting stares from students while wearing my old Cooper A2. I wore that jacket for many years and nobody took any interest not since the couple of years after Memphis Belle was realeased in the early 90s. It suddenly clicked on me that a certain superhero movie being shown in cinema.

BTW I'm not going to see that movie

PD1549606233Kb3.jpg

Smithy

Have a read up on him and the other early mail pilots in the US as they are fascinating and brave guys, often flying under terrible conditions.

I can't remember whether it was Wild Bill or another one but there was one time when one of these guys was flying and it was complete cloud cover right down to the deck and it was then that the plane's clock packed up. The pilot had been smoking a cigar since take off and using some quick maths calculated how far he had flown in the time to smoke the stogie. He thus worked out that he needed to smoke so many more cigars (and it was something with fractions like 3 and 3/4) to reach his destination. He smoked the required stogies, dropped through the cloud and there he was right over the airport!

Smithy

James Goodson of the 4th FG always maintained that smoking saved his life. After getting shot down, his German captors were going to shoot him and asked him if there was anything he wanted to do before they did so. He asked for a cigar and one of the Germans happening to have one gave him one. Goody started blowing smoke rings something the Jerry had never seen before. Goody started teaching the bloke how to do it and because of this the German was so pleased he delivered Goodson to a POW camp rather than shooting him on the spot!