• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

B-Man2

Your right on the mark Brett. Would really liked to have heard him at a speaking engagement about the war.

Thomas Koehle

is it just me or does the nametag on the movie-frames look like embossed and the one on the color-pic like printed/painted?

ausreenactor

Past few days I've been getting stares from students while wearing my old Cooper A2. I wore that jacket for many years and nobody took any interest not since the couple of years after Memphis Belle was realeased in the early 90s. It suddenly clicked on me that a certain superhero movie being shown in cinema.

BTW I'm not going to see that movie

PD1549606233Kb3.jpg

Yeah. Love this/her/Marvel.

Greg Gale

Bryce
He actually had a pretty distinguished war record. He flew B-24 Liberators out of Italy with the 15th Air Force and unlike a lot of the movie stars who served, but just showed up for photo shoots he was in the middle of many combat missions . He remained in the Air Force reserves until late into his life and attained the rank of Brigadier General.

He flew with the 8th out of Tibenham and Old Buckenham with the 445th and the 453rd BG. I also really enjoyed the book about his career.

Micawber

As an aside I have had a place hard by Old Buckenham, Tibbenham and a number of other ex 8th stations for several years. For anyone heading over this way I would heartily recommend a visit to the museum dedicated to the 453rd BG H situated on the field at Old Buckenham along with the 8th AF Heritage Centre and "Jimmy's Cafe" on the same site. A small museum compared to some of the goliaths such as Duxford etc but very well presented, maintained and ever expanded by James and Patricia Clarey.

Rory Schultz

How trippy, the photo of Ralph Lauren.... I was just telling a guy the other day about an encounter I had with Ralph Lauren and his wife some 20 years back. My wife and I had gone to spend the summer in France and Belgium to discuss the issue with my not being able to follow through with agreements to exhibit my art work for the opening exhibition of the Museum of Military History in Brussels Belgium a section for a temporary display that was about the occupation of Belgium during WW2. It was slated for 2000 to open. Anyway, I was all bummed out because it all fell through because my art studio had burned down in 1996. Five years of work became toast as did the rest of my art collection along with my historical artifacts. Across from the Arch of Cinquantenaire Park is the Auto World Museum with some totally cool vintage cars.
The time frame my wife and I were there was also the exhibition of Catherine the Great's Gold Carriage was being shown. My wife's eyes went wide and her jaw dropped when she saw that carriage! It was solid gold! There were a ton of well armed guards all over it. The Director of the museum let us get inside and take a few pics. I have them somewhere in all my junk. Any way, we walked around looking at the vintage cars and stuff, then I noticed this other guy and his wife at the exhibition but it was his clothing that really got my attention. This gentleman was wearing those vintage style flaired poofy jodhpurs, tweed jacket and a ton of sweater wraps all wrapped around his neck with high rise riding boots. ( This style will no way be excepted by people here where I live in Texas ) Same deal set up with his wife.
We came up to him and started asking a ton of questions about them since I really had no clue about that style. He explained the history etc. etc. Then my wife spoke up and asked who they were? I did not recognize them (actually I had no idea what they looked like ) but my wife did. Long story short, hmmm, maybe not so short...lol Mr. Lauren told me of his efforts to get people re-interested in this style pushing to get people more interested in Golden Era of Art, clothing and so on. He said just like art....fashion is also on a time loop...clothing gets rotated. He said never throw away quality clothing because in time it rolls back into style. We continued to talk, viewing the exhibition and so forth. I asked about where to get some Jodhpurs and he said, don't worry I'LL see to it that you get a pair. He took down our names and addresses. 4 months later two pair arrived at my new art studio. He had them sent to me from a store in New York. And No, they were not free.
That is how I got introduced into collecting and wearing these gentry vintage jackets, jodhpurs and riding boots. It has been difficult around here in Texas because people scoff at the jodhpurs and riding boots look. Screw them, I LOVE the look and I will wear it with my chin up! I encouraged this gentleman of whom I spoke to about the encounter to try and join the forum so that he may learn as I have. If he joins...guys ...his name is Daniel and he's a very nice guy. I am going to go look for some photos.

Last edited:

zoomer

The breeches and high boots look is alienating. Not just in Texas. The US Army abandoned it in the '30s, probably as much because of the rise of fascism as for practical reasons. (The Air Corps had been phasing it out for years.)

Ronald Reagan, who had been an Army Reserve officer in the '30s, was fond of English riding habit until he ran for president and invited the press to his ranch. The reaction to his garb was such that he switched to Western riding clothes after that.

Rory Schultz

I just found 1 photo of my wife and I in front of the carriage and still looking for more. I have 1000's of photos in filing cabinets. When my studio caught fire I lost all the best photos etc. Those were done 4x5 transparency so to have prints made. All those 4x5 melted due to the heat. I grabbed what I could but never went to organize anything. I just grabbed and dumped things in boxes to save what I could.

Rory Schultz

Here is a pic at the Brussels Museum in front of the carriage and also outside in front of the Arch. I had to borrow the coat because it was so cold and it was in August. That was the last trip my ex wife had. As soon as we returned, I was in a head on car crash at 65 mph. Was in a body cast for 11 months, 3 months in wheel chair then 3 more on crutches and gobs of P.T. my hands still do not work as well as before. The ex left me while I was still in the wheelchair. She told me she did not love anymore.....wanted a divorce. She had just gotten promoted to VP of Finance for Sprint SW region. I guess her new found high income and the brand new Porsche was too tempting to be married. Oh well, Broken hearted (mostly farted) But I am still breathing and pumpin' the poo! You can not see it in the photo but my hair is in a ponytail and was down to the middle of my back.
But these days it is kept short.....easier to bag those lil buggers and add to the protein levels. LMAO I will keep searching for more photos of the continuing adventures of...." CAPTAIN SAVAGE and Lil' RED! "

20190814_131415.jpg

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

Hey Zoomer, it was the Cowboys and Cowgirls of old who wore jodhpurs under those wooly chaps.

Attachments

• f9850e14087bdda4fde60737698b7b34.jpg
    f9850e14087bdda4fde60737698b7b34.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 176
  • bc2c1d80888cc90fe15ad20a1a0709fb.jpg
    bc2c1d80888cc90fe15ad20a1a0709fb.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 139
  • dudeRanch_01L.jpg
    dudeRanch_01L.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 143
  • f3dc773bf3fb17efa2ff008b2314ab34.jpg
    f3dc773bf3fb17efa2ff008b2314ab34.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 146

Rory Schultz

Then here is the best saved for last , "Age of Chic," when people knew that it was an eloquent measure of class, not how old a chick was! Clarke Gable.....savy king of chic, then there is a savy chic King as in the real King !
dafa9baf97e3c30e96dce3397d491735.jpg
dafa9baf97e3c30e96dce3397d491735.jpg
0849b202c2957429e5ace1bc50a71e2b.jpg
0849b202c2957429e5ace1bc50a71e2b.jpgdafa9baf97e3c30e96dce3397d491735.jpg This is a place and time when people knew how dress with class or if they don't know how to dress chic....then don't bother getting dressed!

ba8aad49e20a51fa0581d61d13fb8485--robert-montgomery-hollywood-stars.jpg
th5OFIUII0.jpg