• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Flightengineer

Hi guyes, haven't been here for a long time, no much time for forum now.
Here is my Platon Dubow today near the remains of Junkers Ju-52.

This plane was built in 1942, flew in Luftwaffe, after WW2 came to USSR as a trophy and operated by Aeroflot as a cargo plane. In 1948 in bad weather collided with a hill, the crew survived. The fuselage without tail, parts of the wings and all three engines have been preserved. The wreckage was kept for a long time on one airfield in Siberia, several years ago they were taken out to save them from utilization, and now they are here not far from Moscow.

Micawber

Me, her and the GW Perry I recently purchased from Mr Blackrat2 Esq.

'Her' managed to cut a chunk out of a pad this morning so her foot is bandaged and vet wrapped up. The cone is to stop her trying to get the dressing off..

IMG_20210704_153058_957~2_resize_69.jpg

B-Man2

This plane was built in 1942, flew in Luftwaffe, after WW2 came to USSR as a trophy and operated by Aeroflot as a cargo plane. In 1948 in bad weather collided with a hill, the crew survived. The fuselage without tail, parts of the wings and all three engines have been preserved. The wreckage was kept for a long time on one airfield in Siberia, several years ago they were taken out to save them from utilization, and now they are here not far from Moscow.
Missed you Dmitry .
I hope all is going well for you .
Cheers

Flightengineer

Thank you guys, so far everything is OK, I hope to come back here soon, I miss this place and communication, but now everything in my life is tied into a very tight knot and there is little time left for the forum.

Yes, this plane is big and looks like a railway train.

I know there are members here whose German is native language and I would like to take this opportunity to ask about one thing.

@Pilot @Griffon_301 @Thomas Koehle may be @Earloffunk

Inside the fuselage in low level tail section I found an inscription on the inner skin, it was clearly made before the aircraft was assembled. It is upside down and it says in German WAREN - .... (WE -...).
It may have been written on a sheet of corrugated aluminum before it was assembled. Probably some of the workers at the Junkers plant in 1942 or the aluminum supplier plant wrote this.
I wonder what could have been written there next (there is no piece of skin, so only this first word has been preserved). Is it some kind of slogan of that era or some part of it? Interesting. Thank you to those who will answer.

Griffon_301

Difficult to say...Waren literally means "wares, or stores" so its difficult to say what this stencil tells us in that case...
Are you sure that it flew for the Luftwaffe in a military capacity; or could it have maybe been used by Lufthansa in a more "civilian" occupation before being captured by the Russians? I know that Lufthansa served a host of air routes during the war and it used captured DC-3s and their own Ju-52s for this so maybe the area where you found the stencil was a sort of cargo hold where stores - or Waren in German - were to be loaded...

Smithy

Difficult to say...Waren literally means "wares, or stores" so its difficult to say what this stencil tells us in that case...
Are you sure that it flew for the Luftwaffe in a military capacity; or could it have maybe been used by Lufthansa in a more "civilian" occupation before being captured by the Russians? I know that Lufthansa served a host of air routes during the war and it used captured DC-3s and their own Ju-52s for this so maybe the area where you found the stencil was a sort of cargo hold where stores - or Waren in German - were to be loaded...

Nice work Phil!

One thing I would add is that obviously the LW used the 52 as a transport aircraft as well so there's every possibility that the stencil is just as appropriate for military use as civilian. 52s were used extensively to airlift supplies, a perfect example being the use during Stalingrad to deliver food, medical supplies and ammunition to the 6. Armee.

Griffon_301

I guess by the end of the war there were not much military used Ju-52s left that were in any form and shape to be used extensively by the victors after the war .. contrary to that's some of the Lufthansa birds that were captured, and in the case of the Douglas DC-3s recaptured, were in much better shape due to the good work that Lufthansa Technik did in maintaining them... So it can be that this Tante Ju was one of those birds...a large gaggle of the Lufthansa fleet was found on the airfields in and around Berlin at war's end IIRC and I think this could be one of them...but without a Werknummer that's difficult to say ..

Flightengineer

Phil, thanks for your input.
Most of the Ju-52s here were from the Luftwaffe and operated in previous military green color.
This inscription is located below floor level in the aft compartment. It is upside down, which means it was written before the aircraft was assembled.

In fact, dozens of Ju-52s were captured after Stalingrad, were operated in the rear, far from the front (so as not to be shot down by mistake by soviet fighters), on average, from 30 to 40 aircraft flew since 1943. After 1945 it became easier with spare parts. But these aircraft were operated mainly during the war. There were many alterations, adaptations for soviet engines (due to problems with spare parts for BMW engines). The plane that I showed has modified hoods, this is also one of the upgrades that the Ju-52 got in Russia. There was a big need of transport aircraft during the war. By 1950, they had all been written off.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

the fact that it is written upside-down and the somehow unusual postion directly on one of those ribs might indicate the marking was already present on the blanks before it got stamped????

I just tried to see whether i might find aluminum suppliers in the time of the 2nd WW with a similar name or something to maybe identify but didn't find anything

M. from Berlin

An airplane with a history. My grandfather jumped out of this plane as a paratrooper.

M. from Berlin

Phil, thanks for your input.
Most of the Ju-52s here were from the Luftwaffe and operated in previous military green color.
This inscription is located below floor level in the aft compartment. It is upside down, which means it was written before the aircraft was assembled.

In fact, dozens of Ju-52s were captured after Stalingrad, were operated in the rear, far from the front (so as not to be shot down by mistake by soviet fighters), on average, from 30 to 40 aircraft flew since 1943. After 1945 it became easier with spare parts. But these aircraft were operated mainly during the war. There were many alterations, adaptations for soviet engines (due to problems with spare parts for BMW engines). The plane that I showed has modified hoods, this is also one of the upgrades that the Ju-52 got in Russia. There was a big need of transport aircraft during the war. By 1950, they had all been written off.
Hello Gents, It could be the town "Waren an der Müritz". Airplanes were produced there! . There, in the southern area of Lake Müritz, there was the Rechlin air force test site. Today there is an aviation museum there. I´ve found only the german Information. But they can use a translation machine. I hope it helps. Best Mario
https://www.luftfahrttechnisches-museum-rechlin.de/

Thomas Koehle

Flightengineer

Hello Gents, It could be the town "Waren an der Müritz". Airplanes were produced there! . There, in the southern area of Lake Müritz, there was the Rechlin air force test site. Today there is an aviation museum there. I´ve found only the german Information. But they can use a translation machine. I hope it helps. Best Mario
https://www.luftfahrttechnisches-museum-rechlin.de/

Thank you very much Mario, the nuances are always interesting!

ausreenactor

Me, her and the GW Perry I recently purchased from Mr Blackrat2 Esq.

'Her' managed to cut a chunk out of a pad this morning so her foot is bandaged and vet wrapped up. The cone is to stop her trying to get the dressing off..

View attachment 63887
Wow...

Had a dream last night my old dog had a sore paw and she kept patting it in my hand... I left a needle in the carpet. :(

Bizarre..

Last edited: