• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Officer Dibley

Dave
I think that would be a great thread . I for one would enjoy seeing and learning more about the bases and buildings that played such an important part in WWII .
Cheers
Leave it with me Burt ;) It’ll probably be only you and i looking at it but if it amuses only you, it’ll be well worth it !
Dave

Griffon_301

I would be watching such a thread too with great interest...I always wanted to go on a historical sight seeing trip in the bomber triangle ... For the knowledgeable, there is still stuff to visit and see there...

YoungMedic

Dave
I think that would be a great thread . I for one would enjoy seeing and learning more about the bases and buildings that played such an important part in WWII .
Cheers

When I was a young navy brat I went to summer camp on base at NAS Jax, at the time there were lots of WW2 era buildings still in service, the pinnacle of which was a gymnasium /basketball court called Kings Hall. I hate to see them all go.

**After a little google searching

cnic_044498.jpg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

I had the pleasure of staying at the Simpson Barracks Sergeant's Mess over the weekend. The buildings and bathrooms have not changed much since the 30s. Apart from sensor lights. That only turn off the lights during the day but leave them blazing all night in the hallways? Hmm.

busdrivermike

A perfect day for sheepskin today -11c and dropping with snow and wind gusts up to 40kms
At times nearly 0 visibility with blowing snow , cars sliding into the ditch
But gotta go out for physical therapy and a few thrift stores and of course a coffee
And as a bonus 4 compliments on the jacket with one guy asking for the website :cool:
4624E7F1-30BE-484A-A2D4-D6CEFD562593.jpeg

Bombing IP

I just recently purchased a WPG Ivin and have been wearing a lot because of the cold weather here at the moment (NY). I have been complimented 5 times on the jacket by very young people and people my own age . A-2s and G1s I never get a coment in twenty years of wearing them ,not that it matters to me because I love em . Re the Irvin from What price Glory its a great jacket for me its not important to be stitch for stitch perfect but its 80% of the way there and the price is $320 delivered no import tax from Dubai . I changed the zipper pulls and bees waxed the leather so it had a little shine to it .As it was it had an military drab finish to it ,it looks a 100% better now .The only thing that is a problem is the zips on the sleeves keep opening ,somthing I am going to look into . I will get a picture posted once I find a Grande coffe cup to hold in my lefty hand .
BIP

Last edited:

busdrivermike

I just recently purchased a WPG Ivin and have been wearing a lot because of the cold weather here at the moment . I have been complimented 5 times on the jacket by very young people and people my own age . A-2s and G1s I never get a coment in twenty years of wearing them ,not that it matters to me because I love em . Re the Irvin from What price Glory its a great jacket for me its not important to be stictch fro stich perfect but its 80% of the way there and the price is $320 delivered no import tax from Dubai . I changed the zipper pulls and bees waxed the leather so it had a little shine to it .As it was it had an military drab finish to it ,it looks a 100 better now .The only thing that is a problem is the zips on the sleeves keep opening ,somthing I am going to look into . I will get a picture posted once I find a Grande coffe cup to hold in my lefty hand .
BIP
The zippers on your sleeves you mentioned reminded me, I saw an original irvin at a museum in
Moosejaw Saskatchewan and it had belts with brass hardware mid zip on each sleeve
They looked as old as the jacket, this was long before cell phones so no pics
Gave the jacket a interesting mad max look

CBI

I loved my WPG Irvin, it became too large for me as I lost weight so I moved it on. I have thought about buying another one. In terms of "feel", its the closest to my original (more than an ELC) and yes its about 80% there in re accuracy so it really works out fine overall. Great price, not fears with just wearing it. I do wish it was about 1 or 2 inches longer though...........

ties70

A perfect day for sheepskin today -11c and dropping with snow and wind gusts up to 40kms
At times nearly 0 visibility with blowing snow , cars sliding into the ditch
But gotta go out for physical therapy and a few thrift stores and of course a coffee
And as a bonus 4 compliments on the jacket with one guy asking for the website :cool:
View attachment 49548

Mike,

don't let "Tim Horton's" see that picture...they might file for bankruptcy ;-)

Ties

newagegeezer

re the remark on a strap on a WW2 Irvin in a museum.... one of my originals, sold last year, had a strap over zip by cuffs that was a personalised modification done during the war or sometime
IMG_3109.JPG
after as I bought it from the daughter of the air crew person just after he died in early '70s. This was probably done to tighten the cuff to keep cold out.

Bombing IP

I loved my WPG Irvin, it became too large for me as I lost weight so I moved it on. I have thought about buying another one. In terms of "feel", its the closest to my original (more than an ELC) and yes its about 80% there in re accuracy so it really works out fine overall. Great price, not fears with just wearing it. I do wish it was about 1 or 2 inches longer though...........

Hi CBI if you want a longer WPG Irvin I have the email to the Manager in charge in Dubai where they make the jackets I am sure he would oblige your request ,The Price at the moment is $320 delivered as they are on sale . Pm me if you want it his name is Wajad ,comes in about a week .

Rgds Jeff

Officer Dibley

re the remark on a strap on a WW2 Irvin in a museum.... one of my originals, sold last year, had a strap over zip by cuffs that was a personalised modification done during the war or sometimeView attachment 49554 after as I bought it from the daughter of the air crew person just after he died in early '70s. This was probably done to tighten the cuff to keep cold out.
Perfect for an Irvin re-purposed as a motorcycle jacket.

busdrivermike

I
re the remark on a strap on a WW2 Irvin in a museum.... one of my originals, sold last year, had a strap over zip by cuffs that was a personalised modification done during the war or sometimeView attachment 49554 after as I bought it from the daughter of the air crew person just after he died in early '70s. This was probably done to tighten the cuff to keep cold out.
very cool :cool: The one I saw used a brass d ring and brass swivel eye trigger snap
And was mid zip, I actually bought the hardware but never got around recreating it
095EC83A-6DAB-472A-8840-6FC306D91948.jpeg

It looked like it was designed to let the sleeve be unzipped but not flopping open
Next time I’m in moosejaw in the museum I’ll have to take pics if it’s still on display

Lebensgefahr

That's the strap from a pair of RAF 40 pattern chemical gloves.