• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Lorenzo_l

Love this leather and envy your weather!

Judging by the looks, I suspect my RW is not unlike your very own ELC Star Sportswear, Dmitry.
As for the weather, we just had a (very) brief spell of warm weather and sunshine. That's all gone now. We are back to the washing-machine type weather that is the autumn.

Dany McDonald

Headed over to Pikes website now to check it out . Just one last question . Do you or some of the other guys know if you could take a normal N-1 like this and with the application of Barbour wax turn it into a waxed jacket like this one?

Hi B-Man2,

I am no expert on the process of making wax cotton or oilskin cloth but have been restoring and maintaining a lot of Belstaff's & a couple of barbour's. The original wax cotton is a prepared cloth that will absorb the hot wax without penetrating totally through it. I remember a guy that use to work for Belstaff on TFL saying that they were always trying to improve this process while maintaining repellent properties. That is why you NEVER totally wash a wax cotton garment in a washer or with solvent, doing so will return the cloth to almost it's original untreated/unprepared cotton base.

So waxing a Pike N1 is at your own risk, it will work but with a couple of surprises!

And I would never sit in a car or indoor furniture with a freshly waxed 1982 Belstaff Trialmaster.... man but they are nice!

Just my two cents!

Dany

B-Man2

Hi B-Man2,

I am no expert on the process of making wax cotton or oilskin cloth but have been restoring and maintaining a lot of Belstaff's & a couple of barbour's. The original wax cotton is a prepared cloth that will absorb the hot wax without penetrating totally through it. I remember a guy that use to work for Belstaff on TFL saying that they were always trying to improve this process while maintaining repellent properties. That is why you NEVER totally wash a wax cotton garment in a washer or with solvent, doing so will return the cloth to almost it's original untreated/unprepared cotton base.

So waxing a Pike N1 is at your own risk, it will work but with a couple of surprises!

And I would never sit in a car or indoor furniture with a freshly waxed 1982 Belstaff Trialmaster.... man but they are nice!

Just my two cents!

Dany
Dany
That was a great response and thanks for the info . Ive owned a Belstaff years ago and currently have a Barbour trials style jacket .
it’s a great piece of kit that works well in a variety of different types of weather. So from your experience trying to take a non waxed jacket and turn it into a waxed one probably isn’t a good idea ...I appreciate your advise.

Otter

Nikwax cottonproof works well without turning a jacket too heavy and slimy for want of a better word. Used it on my Tilley hat and a Fjallraven jacket, the other one I used the Fjallraven Greenland wax on, works reasonably but needs ironed in as well as making the jacket stiff.

mulceber

On an unseasonably warm Election Day (61 F / 16 C), @Nnatalie and I went out to enjoy what we could of the town. United Sheeplined A-2 and Five Star Women’s Cossack Jacket.
81EC1168-85D4-4BBD-B8B9-914446EA911C.jpeg

DDC7EA12-D4EA-4AF3-9F66-07B7A9943591.jpeg

London Cabbie

jack31916

Any difference between the 1941-42-43-44 ones? Hard to tell by the photos
There shouldn't be any difference between the production date.

Thing with these scarf / capcomforters is they differ from the ones I know because they are open ended. The normal ones are stitched at the end. (see pics). Then another thing is the date stamp which is rather thick while the result on internet shows thinner manufacturer and date stamps. ( see https://www.google.com/search?q=j+w+&+s+ltd+cap+comforter&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjZr_v6sujsAhWBNewKHSoGDgsQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=j+w+&+s+ltd+cap+comforter&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1CZI1jfRWChSGgAcAB4AIABRIgB0gWSAQIxM5gBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=dlyiX9mcHYHrsAeqjLhY&rlz=1C1AVFC_enNL766NL780 )

Since most Western European armies wore the British battledress style uniforms and personal kit, it is not unlikely that the scarfs on Ebay are not wartime ones. But even so, they still make nice an warm scarfs. Just a thought.

!ByuPyqw!Wk_$(KGrHqZ,!jYEw4y8yPpsBMT!gijy3w___1 (1).JPG

Attachments

• p-8012-Original_Wartime_584304dd1f511.jpg
    p-8012-Original_Wartime_584304dd1f511.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 128
  • p-8012-P1550499.jpg
    p-8012-P1550499.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 109

B-Man2

I went with a 1940 as well, We don’t often find much original British wartime kit in mint condition on this side of the “big puddle “
and I wanted something from the BOB era .

Micawber

England is going into lockdown for a month tomorrow and with the way things are with me I decided to take advantage of the first sunny morning since coming out if hospital to take the '43 Willys MB Jeep out for a run and top up of fuel. I came back via the old airfield and daughter grabbed the following photo. Jeep, clothes inc ELC B-15 and me....

20201104_161855.jpg