• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Earloffunk

Winter is here (oh, well, not really yet but...) - time for "The Beast":

3C3C9E17-7409-4226-9E7C-6A43C4954C2E.jpeg

Griffon_301

Took the grand old lady of my collection for the Doggo walk today...

and now, to the story mentioned in my last post:
we were spending a lovely September day in Innsbruck, my significant other shopping, me enjoying a nice cappuccino in a streetside cafe while waiting for her...
a gentleman, sitting on the table next to me was mustering me all the time and finally asked me where I got that great jacket and why it has a whistle attached.
I explained to him that this is a repro A-2 flight-jacket from the 1940s; the whistle, I told him has a special purpose - when I loose my spouse during our shopping trips, I just blow the whistle so she can find me again;
he was looking a bit incredulous first but then asked, what I am going to do if she does not hear the whistle in the first place because she might be too far away. I told him that I then call her on the mobile phone and blow the whistle into the phone... :D
an even more incredulous look followed...finally, he asked, if this really works. I answered that we are together for nearly 15 years now and I have never lost her anywhere, so it might just really work-Silence followed.
Of course I explained to him the real purpose of the whistle afterwards and he was very interested in the concept of the repro flight-jacket too; we had a really nice talk following and when his wife arrived, you can imagine what followed :D

maybe ELC has garnered another customer in the meantime :D

Attachments

• 20201106_101309.jpg
    20201106_101309.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 20201106_101448.jpg
    20201106_101448.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

The Werber 1729 with those Carmel colored knits is one of my favorite contracts . That one fits you nicely. Just goes to show that an A2 jacket doesn’t always have to fit trimly over a T-shirt to look good .

Thanks, Burt. The 33-1729 is an interesting contract indeed and a good example of how much the A-2 changed from pre- to wartime contacts, seemingly becoming a trimmer, simpler jacket (i.e. quite a few manufacturers doing away with the collar stand). The picture below, courtesy of the Goodwear Leather's website, shows of a mix of Werber (presumably 33-1729s) and SAT A-2s, and is a good example of the looser, boxier appearance and baggier fit of these pre-war contracts:

1930s_A2s_01_Werbers.jpg

That was part of the reason I chose the Werber. I already have a trim-fitting RW-27752 and a Dubow 277598, and I wanted a jacket that I could layer under more easily and and with different details - the caramel-coloured knits the sewn throat hooks and the nice (but somewhat finicky) zipper, not to mention the raw good looks of the jacket itself, sealed the deal for me. My only gripe with the jacket is the very high neckline - I am really keen on getting the collar to lie flat and relax more.
I was lucky to buy it at a good price from ELC before they started hiking their prices, but had to wait over a year to get the jacket as the machinist who used to sew the jackets retired early from ELC and they had to train new staff to get the Werbers back in production.

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Who are you and what did you do to Dmitry?! :D

Is it too cold for sheepskin too? I remember I went to Moscow in January 2015 and I froze into an ice cube wearing an Irvin - but I'm not known for my tolerance of cold :)

Flightengineer

Who are you and what did you do to Dmitry?! :D

Is it too cold for sheepskin too? I remember I went to Moscow in January 2015 and I froze into an ice cube wearing an Irvin - but I'm not known for my tolerance of cold :)

Greg, to be honest, I got used to the warmth when I worked in Africa for two years. Since then, when the temperature approaches 0 with strong Nord wind, as it is now, I'm freez in short flight jackets and usually stop wearing my MA-1 and B-15s when it gets colder than +5C and I put on my parkas - I have a lot - from those that are designed for late autumn like this "Aerospace" uniform parka from my former airline to very warm ones like CG etc.
And ...November in Moscow is usually already a winter month. There is simply no snow yet.