• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Smithy

Yeah that’s definitely a big jacket season.

I'm joshing a bit but we can have snow from around October to May. Big thing here is wind, we can get lots and also we can get hurricane strength storms over autumn and winter. And as you probably know it's wind which is more dangerous. Oslo is often colder than us but they usually have little wind. We can be milder in ambient temperature but with gale winds or stronger.

I love it here though and couldn't dream of living anywhere else.

Global warming is having an impact, we hit a record in 2019 over summer with 34 Celsius. Soon be the Arctjc Riviera!

Griffon_301

snow in the afternoon, cold and heavy rain in the evening, so it was out with the dogs for the daily evening dog news sniffing tour in a BR CWU-9 liner underneath my original A-2 Deck Jacket... rather nice combination for the occasion.
the original lining in the deck jacket has become a bit thin over the years so the CWU liner had to stand in :)

Chandler

snow in the afternoon, cold and heavy rain in the evening, so it was out with the dogs for the daily evening dog news sniffing tour in a BR CWU-9 liner underneath my original A-2 Deck Jacket... rather nice combination for the occasion.
the original lining in the deck jacket has become a bit thin over the years so the CWU liner had to stand in :)
You're in Vienna now, right?

Here in Chicagoland we've been experiencing a weird, rollercoaster winter so far. It's been raining all day today and hitting 45°F. Just not normal for Christmas -- let alone winter.

Pa12

Here in Chicagoland we've been experiencing a weird, rollercoaster winter so far. It's been raining all day today and hitting 45°F. Just not normal for Christmas -- let alone winter.
Same here. Just got a couple inches of snow last night but it’s melting already. Christmas Day supposed to be 9c. I’ll take it;)

Smithy

Same here. Just got a couple inches of snow last night but it’s melting already. Christmas Day supposed to be 9c. I’ll take it;)

We had 2 and a half foot the other week in the space of 2 hours.

I don't mind snow so long as there's not too much of the bloody stuff.

Smithy's pet peeve = shovelling bloody snow.

Griffon_301

yeah, we are living in Vienna.
the winter here has been quite an experience so far with really cold weather spells and nice snow but also rather warm but wet weather with heavy rain like today...

in the afternoon, it looked like we would get a white Christmas, but only for about two hours.
with a warm weather front blowing in from the west, the snow has gone and is replaced by mud.

this is how it looked in the afternoon when White Christmas was a short possibility

20231223_113026.jpg

Smithy

Now THAT is my pet peeve about winter. I can do with the cold, I can settle for snow, but I would be much happier about it all if it was sunny from 8 AM to 8 PM.

Nice thing is over summer it's "midnight sun" ;)

I don't mind the dark time, we have a soft light in the middle of the day and what little light there is is actually beautiful. And of course we have lots and lots of Northern Lights.

Smithy

That would be nice. Here it's about 8 hours of daylight, and the "daylight" is really just slate gray cloud cover.

Unless there's snow it's usually clear here which means a soft, brightish kind of twilight in the middle of the day. The moon is often visible for most of daytime. It's actually very cosy as there's lots of lights that people put up on and around their houses, and of course it's pretty special to be outside and the entire sky is shimmering and undulating with the Northern Lights.

Chandler

Now THAT is my pet peeve about winter. I can do with the cold, I can settle for snow, but I would be much happier about it all if it was sunny from 8 AM to 8 PM.
8 to 8? It IS the Winter Solstice -- I always expect that curtain to fall around 4:00 pm these days. ;)

Pa12

We had 2 and a half foot the other week in the space of 2 hours.

I don't mind snow so long as there's not too much of the bloody stuff.

Smithy's pet peeve = shovelling bloody snow.
I’ve seen footage of the plows . Look like they’re in tunnels. Though winters aren’t as bad here as they were when I was a kid, they’ve never been anywhere near that. That’s crazy snow.

Pa12

You guys historically get hammered pretty good with snow as I recall