• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

mulceber

A bit cool this morning, so I’m out with the Himel Bros. Cossack:
IMG_8728.jpeg

John Luder

My new AVI M-422a….

View attachment 111411

Some of the recent reviews convinced me to get one. Was a bit of a struggle, though, with a 48 first (which was too tight), and a 50 last week.

I will probably do a decent review later, but on a first note: Nicely done, good craftsmanship, soft leather (unlike my original Navy jackets) and slightly too boxy in the shoulders….but I hope a good rainy soak will take care of the last thing.

I have applied a USN stencil and got a G&F label from @STEVE S. . The AVI label seems to be stitched and glued to the lining, so I am a bit reluctant to rip it out!

Best regards,

Ties
Ties, Good looking jacket. I also prefer the pointier collar of a 422 and 6552. Have you already picked out the stitches from the Avi label? Are you trying to save the Avi label or can it be sacrificed? Is Steve's large enough to overlay Avi's? In any event, if you are ok with handstitching, that simplifies matters. If you want it machine stitched, you or a tailor will have to separate the lining from the leather. Re-placing the lining will have to be hand stitched, but it can be done less visibly than doing the label.
John

ties70

Ties, Good looking jacket. I also prefer the pointier collar of a 422 and 6552. Have you already picked out the stitches from the Avi label? Are you trying to save the Avi label or can it be sacrificed? Is Steve's large enough to overlay Avi's? In any event, if you are ok with handstitching, that simplifies matters. If you want it machine stitched, you or a tailor will have to separate the lining from the leather. Re-placing the lining will have to be hand stitched, but it can be done less visibly than doing the label.
John
John,

Both labels have the exact same size.
Right now I see two options: putting the G&F label on top of the AVI one (might get too thick in the end) or separate the AVI label from its (glued on) backing and put the G&F on top of this backing by hand.

Oh, and of course I could just leave it as it is, enjoy the jacket and don't give a ****!
This is probably the toughest option ;)

flyincowboy

Beautiful coloring. My first AN 6552 was horsehide colored in what they call brandy, close to this color. Twas beautiful, till I wetted it and threw it in the dryer. Still fits, but it lost the color.
Lots of guys mention 're-dyes' like it's a deliberate process before selling, like twice-reduced sauce. Is this re-dye a practical application after a few years, or is it an aging technique done by the mfgr. before selling?
And, it there one among our numbers who does it as a regular gig?
Cheers,
John
NOPE to say the truth i was fed up by the strange colour mid brown (chocolate with some purple effects) and by seeing a lot of redyed jacket on this forum it was time to make a change. this was done all by myself using acetone and isopropyl alcohol wash and using LEATHER DYE. i work in a leather and upholstery shop so to me it's just part of my job. not a big deal!

John Luder

NOPE to say the truth i was fed up by the strange colour mid brown (chocolate with some purple effects) and by seeing a lot of redyed jacket on this forum it was time to make a change. this was done all by myself using acetone and isopropyl alcohol wash and using LEATHER DYE. i work in a leather and upholstery shop so to me it's just part of my job. not a big deal!
Do you mix the acetone and alcohol? Do you wear an industrial mask and heavy rubber gloves? Do you have any eyebrows left? How about fingertips? Are you like the master bomb-maker who has the most fingers?
I've not had much luck stripping leather with just acetone. It's so volatile that it's mostly gone before I get it from the can to the leather.
You're spelling 'colour' in non-US fashion, so I'd have to guess you're not restricted to the same diluted chemicals we have in Calif. I have to smuggle oil-based enamel paint, for doors and trim, from Arizona or Nevada. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
Do you have a preferred leather dye maker?
Cheers,
John

flyincowboy

WELL for sure i do wear a gasmask glasses and safety gloves. The stripping products are not so" agressive"and are from the Saphir brand &la teinture française , fiebings ....The magic think is to use" the green sponge " strip and rub the leather when the colour start to get melted till you get the original bare leather colour ....Then clean whith some acetone Once dry you can dye your leather simply with a paint brush. The more coat you add the darker it will come! rinse with some water from a shower Rubb the jacket with a wool rag to get rid of the dye. you can spray the choosen colour as it is avaliable in spray cans as well. Do not forget to feed the leather with a good leather cream when finished.

Micawber

I enjoy refinishing jackets but there is always an element of risk involved, knowing how to dig yourself out of a fix if something goes wrong is generally a matter of experience. I always try to use solvents outdoors whenever possible, memories of working with various dodgy chemicals in the restoration trade back when “elf n safety” was not a priority are never far from my mind.

ZuZu

My new AVI M-422a….

View attachment 111411

Some of the recent reviews convinced me to get one. Was a bit of a struggle, though, with a 48 first (which was too tight), and a 50 last week.

I will probably do a decent review later, but on a first note: Nicely done, good craftsmanship, soft leather (unlike my original Navy jackets) and slightly too boxy in the shoulders….but I hope a good rainy soak will take care of the last thing.

I have applied a USN stencil and got a G&F label from @STEVE S. . The AVI label seems to be stitched and glued to the lining, so I am a bit reluctant to rip it out!

Best regards,

Ties
Too boxy in the shoulders is a good thing IMO. Looks great!

ZuZu

John,

Right now I see two options: putting the G&F label on top of the AVI one (might get too thick in the end) or separate the AVI label from its (glued on) backing and put the G&F on top of this backing by hand.

Oh, and of course I could just leave it as it is, enjoy the jacket and don't give a ****!
"...enjoy the jacket and don't give a shit..." is usually the correct option- who cares about the label on a mid-range repro which looks great?

mulceber

I'm all for tinkering with jackets to personalize with them, so I'd say one of the first two options. I don't think ripping it out would be much of an issue, because unless you totally tear the liner, any damage to the fabric will be covered up by the new label. Whatever course you choose though, I agree with Jeff that you shouldn't sweat it. Modify or not, as you please, and then enjoy the jacket! :cool:

mulceber

I mean, I don't think there's anything I like as much as an A-2 for the coolness factor. I like the Cossack about as much as an A-1 - it has the advantage that, without the knits, it can be worn in temperatures that are 5-10 degrees (F) warmer. It's a neat look, but like most of us, I like my military jackets better.

John Luder

I enjoy refinishing jackets but there is always an element of risk involved, knowing how to dig yourself out of a fix if something goes wrong is generally a matter of experience. I always try to use solvents outdoors whenever possible, memories of working with various dodgy chemicals in the restoration trade back when “elf n safety” was not a priority are never far from my mind.
Elfin Safety, is it then? Puts me in mind of Will Ferrell. Someone's an angry elf. He must be a South Pole elf.
Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 2.15.01 PM.png

Tattoo A2

Very nice ELC Escape, I have always fancied one and constantly trawling the Eastman site to see if anyone is selling one on
Yours looks subtly done which I think is the key to the Escape jacket, there have been some really poor examples posted up on here and other places…looks a great fit also
Thanks my friend, I appreciate it.