• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

NOS B-15.... could be mistaken by a modern repro
DSC01863.jpeg

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

John Luder

It's been 55 to 70 every day since April 15 or so here. May Gray/June Gloom Jacket Season! (sorry to rub it in all you sad non-Californians...)
Zooz, I should say. Tho the state sux otherwise. I was able to wear, briefly, my new 5star AN6552 in Calabasas last week. But only just barely. Camarillo airport, the Commemorative Air Force museum, where I docent, stays cooler and overcast longer than the Valley. Looking forward to a cool June and wearing my original M-41 on Tuesday for a D-Day group tour.

John Luder

One can say a lot about 5 star leather But i own this jacket since 2 years 1/2 just done a redying job and i love the way it looks aged it's like the colour been eaten by the leather. The steerhide look fantastic.the grain popped up so nicely !!! jacket is so comfortable to wear Was originally
ROUGHWEAR 27752 STEERHIDE mid brown looks definitey better now..
View attachment 110689View attachment 110691View attachment 110693
Beautiful coloring. My first AN 6552 was horsehide colored in what they call brandy, close to this color. Twas beautiful, till I wetted it and threw it in the dryer. Still fits, but it lost the color.
Lots of guys mention 're-dyes' like it's a deliberate process before selling, like twice-reduced sauce. Is this re-dye a practical application after a few years, or is it an aging technique done by the mfgr. before selling?
And, it there one among our numbers who does it as a regular gig?
Cheers,
John

John Luder

i liked the banter on French beer, as i've seen many French lorry drivers drinking beer with breakfast i've felt glad it wan't strong.. and with many trips to US I'll confirm that American craft breweries make some good gear, although the tendency for strange flavours seems odd to classic British , saying that teh Belgians have been making strong fruit flavoured beers for centuries. anyway, here's a couple of photos for fun. as you can see a very versatile vehicle, btw it does have a rear seat, which is of course removeable to make a cavernous interior space. The last photo shows the earlier '30s on version (giving it the reputation of being the first hatchback) that had just teh top half hinging up and the bottom down, I think 3 bullocks was the advised loading..... As you can see a very versatile vehicle.

View attachment 110307

View attachment 110301View attachment 110303View attachment 110305
Honest, Deputy. I was just helping the sheep over the fence.

ZuZu

Zooz, I should say. Tho the state sux otherwise. I was able to wear, briefly, my new 5star AN6552 in Calabasas last week. But only just barely. Camarillo airport, the Commemorative Air Force museum, where I docent, stays cooler and overcast longer than the Valley. Looking forward to a cool June and wearing my original M-41 on Tuesday for a D-Day group tour.
It sucks but one can get used to it with the great weather and nature. It sucks really no more than anywhere else in this hideous evil mess we've become (to paraphrase my departed Dad).

John Luder

It sucks but one can get used to it with the great weather and nature. It sucks really no more than anywhere else in this hideous evil mess we've become (to paraphrase my departed Dad).
My wife wants to move to Long Island, where her family is/are. Over my dead body. Hot, muggy summers, back-breaking, snow-shoveling freezing winters. Cal sux, but better the devil you know. But it was a killer today in Camarillo. It was 73 degrees and about 73% humidity. I thought I'd freakin die. I was looking forward to wearing my 6552, or at least my A-2. Good God, I had to strip down to khaki trousers and a short-sleeved shirt. Man, it's a friggin' bitch to live in this weather. And so near the coast, too. What did I do to deserve this sort of punishment?

Last edited:

John Luder

Maybe the leather vintage brogue boots count haha
If it's warming up over there, I reckon you'll soon be switching over to your summer-weight, flannel kilt. Maybe cotton sweat socks and birkenstock footwear. A man who wears socks with sandals is a special sort of chap. I have a MacNab tartan kilt, which is green, red, and crimson. It only seems appropriate at Christmas, given the colors. Americans don't understand a real man in a skirt, except in West Hollywood, but that's an altogether different sort of chap.

ties70

My new AVI M-422a….

IMG_3508.jpeg

Some of the recent reviews convinced me to get one. Was a bit of a struggle, though, with a 48 first (which was too tight), and a 50 last week.

I will probably do a decent review later, but on a first note: Nicely done, good craftsmanship, soft leather (unlike my original Navy jackets) and slightly too boxy in the shoulders….but I hope a good rainy soak will take care of the last thing.

I have applied a USN stencil and got a G&F label from @STEVE S. . The AVI label seems to be stitched and glued to the lining, so I am a bit reluctant to rip it out!

Best regards,

Ties