• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking maybe I need to thin the herd...

Thomas Koehle

On one hand it sometimes gives you a kind of relief if you let go something ...

On the other hand sometimes that feeling of regret comes up if you see certain stuff you sold before and if you learn about the current prices ...

In the past i sold stuff i deeply regret today but back then i needed the money for some other things - mostly not "hobby " - or addiction - related but that was the time when the house was built, the kids been in school or university - job didn't cover all of those expenses and you had to let go

about 20 yrs ago i got a G1 - or maybe M422 jacket (do not remember coz i didn't realize the difference back then) as a part of an auction where i won an airborne helmet - the tragedy is the jacket was in good condition - fit me - was an original - but still i wasn't interested and sold it dirt-cheap on EBAY Germany

so my consens for nowadays: (daughter married, mortgage payed, job goes ok, ...) i try to hold the originals if i wear 'em but sell the repops if i do not like them anymore

B-Man2

Ok guys Ive read all of your posts. So forget about my last post above …. Im now going to buy all of your jackets that you’re “thinning the herd” from and hang onto them for the day that comes when you think … “Damn I really liked that jacket …why did I do that … wish I had it back” I see a potentially booming flight jacket business here! ;)

Dany McDonald

Hello Tim,

I guess this is not what you expect to hear but the way I see it and based on my experience, you will have to figure this out by yourself.

All good advise and input have been given but you probably already have a path in mind... just follow it.

Back to this jacket thing before I get too deep...;)

Dany

Micawber

I have cleared the decks more than once during my adult lifetime and usually find the experience liberating. I am an inveterate hoarder and collector so inevitably shedding items has often meant making room for more stuff but admit to not disappearing down the bottomless well that accompanies collecting militaria to any great degree since my last disposal over 20 years ago. Yes there are regrets but I don't miss the inevitable OCD tinged pissing contests that materialistic driven hobbies inevitably descend into. Certain key events in later years have brought into sharp focus that none of us are immortal. No matter how many expensive trinkets we are able to flaunt we cannot take them with us when we shuffle off this mortal coil.

Pa12

Ok guys Ive read all of your posts. So forget about my last post above …. Im now going to buy all of your jackets that you’re “thinning the herd” from and hang onto them for the day that comes when you think … “Damn I really liked that jacket …why did I do that … wish I had it back” I see a potentially booming flight jacket business here! ;)
Hmmm. Do I see vultures waiting on the power lines;)

Garylafortuna

Once we get hooked on the Ferengi 285 Rules Of Acquisition, it's the devil to break free. I've been told that the Wim Hof deep breathing technique can be very beneficial in the face of such profound adversity.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition - Complete List* - YouTube

Last edited: