• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking maybe I need to thin the herd...

Smithy

Over the last month or two I've started to think if I really need all these jackets that I have.

I've gotten back into martial arts over the few months after an absence of a few years, both styles of which are traditional Japanese and have a big Zen aspect, part of which is about simplicity and I've found myself thinking and expanding this to the rest of my life and wondering if my life and what I have is too cluttered.

I was never a collector, I bought jackets to wear, but I'm really thinking whether having lots of jackets - I've got far more than I need and can wear - is a good thing. I'm starting to think I should simplify my life and have what I need and get rid of what I do not.

Now, I know there's lots of guys here who collect jackets like some people collect fine art or watches or wine or whatever, but that's not what I'm talking about. For me who was never a collector, I'm starting to feel like I should rid myself of things I don't need.

Just interested if anyone else has felt or is feeling this way or whether it's just me.

B-Man2

Over the last month or two I've started to think if I really need all these jackets that I have.

I've gotten back into martial arts over the few months after an absence of a few years, both styles of which are traditional Japanese and have a big Zen aspect, part of which is about simplicity and I've found myself thinking and expanding this to the rest of my life and wondering if my life and what I have is too cluttered.

I was never a collector, I bought jackets to wear, but I'm really thinking whether having lots of jackets - I've got far more than I need and can wear - is a good thing. I'm starting to think I should simplify my life and have what I need and get rid of what I do not.

Now, I know there's lots of guys here who collect jackets like some people collect fine art or watches or wine or whatever, but that's not what I'm talking about. For me who was never a collector, I'm starting to feel like I should rid myself of things I don't need.

Just interested if anyone else has felt or is feeling this way or whether it's just me.
Tim I have the same feelings with an additional factor … age … I realize that I’m in my 4th quarter and the clock is running down. There are several items that I’d like to sell to a collector who appreciates the type of jackets and artifacts we collect, but it’s not as easy as you would think. At some point I’ll have a sale and hope that someone shows up who holds holds these things dear .

Smithy

Tim I have the same feelings with an additional factor … age … I realize that I’m in my 4th quarter and the clock is running down. There are several items that I’d like to sell to a collector who appreciates the type of jackets and artifacts we collect, but it’s not as easy as you would think. At some point I’ll have a sale and hope that someone shows up who holds holds these things dear .

I turned 50 last year and I'm really starting to think about what's important in life for me and that having a bunch of jackets that I never wear and I hold onto just because I have them is slightly stupid.

I'm starting to think that I want to simplify what I have down to what is truly important to me and with that realisation is that I have a lot of shit which is just cluttering up my life and my house.

This isn't a shot at anyone else so I hope no-one is offended, but just how I've been thinking of late about my life and what's important in it. I'm starting to think that jackets really aren't of major importance to me and that I should only have what I use and nothing more.

Enigma1938

Good point!
Sometimes I have similar thoughts (the older the more often). I collect stuff what I'm interested in, so I have round about 60 jackets (most are military related), a huge amount of US and German ww2 / vietnam military equipment, lots of historical pocket and wristwatches, some very expensive Roman helmets and so on and so on.
I like my collections but there are also moments when I think : do I really need all that stuff? What if I was able to get the money back I have spent into this over all the years? I could brobably built a house from it. Or what if when my resident will be eaten by a fire? Everything will be gone....
There are probably a million things I would have spent my money better in.
I'm aware of all those but I just can't bring myself to sell this ballast - at least not now. I sold a few things in the past but I still miss some of them.
I don't know what will happen to all my belongings when I go across the Jordan....
I guess I'm a troubled guy...

Last edited:

Smithy

Good point!
Sometimes I have similar thoughts (the older the more often). I collect stuff what I'm interested in, so I have round about 60 jackets (most are military related), a huge amount of US ans Germany ww2 / vietnam military equipment, lots of historical pocket and wristwatches, some very expensive Roman helmets and so on and so on.
I like my collections but there are also moments when I think : do I really need all that stuff? What if I was able to get the money back I have spent into this over all the years? I could brobably built a house from it. Or what if when my resident will be eaten by a fire? Everything will be gone....
There are probably a million things I would have spent my money better in.
I'm aware of all those but I just can't bring myself to sell this ballast. I sold a few things in the past but I still miss some of it.
I don't know what will happen to all my belongings when I go across the Jordan....
I guess I'm a troubled guy...

If you enjoy collecting then go for it and enjoy it. I was never a collector, I bought jackets to wear.

I've reached the point where I have far more than what I need and I've decided I*m going to simplify my life ;-)

Smithy

I'm feeling myself reaching the point where I just want to get rid of those things that I have for no other reason than I feel like I need to have them yet never use them.

I went in the storage room we have here in the basement and there's a bunch of jackets I never wear and haven't in years.

I need to do the same with books and all the rest of the rubbish that I have in order to get rid of it.

Pa12

I’ve become the same way with age. Looking at all the stuff I kept thinking I might need it some day and now realizing some day is never going to come. Trying to live lean now. And it’s nice having a place for everything where you can find it;)

B-Man2

reached that point a long time ago.
But yes I understand your point of view very well
Enigma
I’m sure you know the answer to your question as do I . What will happen to your collections is that others will get wind of what you have, either thru friends or other collectors you’ve dealt with . Then they will see dollar signs and swoop down on your wife or family member and offer them penny’s on a dollar to take the burden of having to deal with the stress and aggravation of dealing with the sales of those items, while dealing with the pain of your loss. I see it time and time again . The only way out is to sell it and divest yourself of those collections before it reaches that point .

Smithy

There's something exceedingly liberating of letting go of material rubbish which doesn't have any real meaning to our lives nor which we need.

My new Iaido sensei who is also a Zen practitioner asked me if I need all this stuff that clutters up my life and whether it's truly important.

He got me thinking.

Enigma1938

The only way out is to sell it and divest yourself of those collections before it reaches that point .
I know, I'm aware of this, but a part of you thinks that point is far far away, although your rational mind knows that every day could be your last one....

John Lever

Sometimes possessions can end up owning you. I have sold some of my old favourites, ones I loved but perhaps didn't wear at all one winter or one year. It's good to get the money back the liberation of space and even some cash, but the itch can remain when you see something at auction or for sale.
My new rule is only one jacket for each type, it's working for now....

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I’ve had this debate with myself I don’t know how many times in the 25+ years I’ve been involved in this silly nonsense :). Do I really need all these jackets? But one thing I have found is that I know my own mind, and I know that very seldom have I regretted buying something (not just jackets-pretty much anything I’ve felt I needed), but I have regretted selling something several times-the classic example being the Aero B-3, which I was fortunate enough to buy back. Then there was the gorgeous RMJ M-422a which would be a fortune today, or the any number of ’Nam era G-1’s that I’ve had and moved on, and now they’re up in the hundreds and I can’t justify the expense any more. I know that I will tell myself I don’t want something any more and sell it (usually, if I’m in a band, to fund gear), then a while later kick myself and wish I’d hung on to it. I see what you’re saying about the decluttering and the Zen aspect, but I know what I’m like, and I know that if I flog something, I’ll wish I didn’t.

bn1966

Studying a Japanese Martial Art in my 20’s had a profound affect on my life including the career pathway I followed. In the West I think we can get hung up on chasing possessions which generally don’t add anything to us as human beings or bring happiness. As I’ve got older I’ve started to appreciate the simple things more and am grateful for them..waking up in the morning, being greeted by the dog, being English a hot cup of tea and so on. A recent declutter was to sell my shiny red sports car that I spent ages keeping pristine and fretted about driving on our currently appalling roads. Couldn’t fit the dog in it either..sold it for a 4X4..not bothered if it’s dirty, our roads don’t bother the 4X4 & the hound can happily be chauffeured about. Had a couple of jackets that weren’t cheap and were a worry in respect of getting marked..so I sold them…