• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking maybe I need to thin the herd...

Micawber

Gents, PM not to turn this thread into an advert, but PM me. My collection’s for sale sans the B-3. If I can thin the herd by half it will be a good day.
Watch out....

Junglebook-disneyscreencaps_com-8029.jpg

usafwso

Over the last month or two I've started to think if I really need all these jackets that I have.

I've gotten back into martial arts over the few months after an absence of a few years, both styles of which are traditional Japanese and have a big Zen aspect, part of which is about simplicity and I've found myself thinking and expanding this to the rest of my life and wondering if my life and what I have is too cluttered.

I was never a collector, I bought jackets to wear, but I'm really thinking whether having lots of jackets - I've got far more than I need and can wear - is a good thing. I'm starting to think I should simplify my life and have what I need and get rid of what I do not.

Now, I know there's lots of guys here who collect jackets like some people collect fine art or watches or wine or whatever, but that's not what I'm talking about. For me who was never a collector, I'm starting to feel like I should rid myself of things I don't need.

Just interested if anyone else has felt or is feeling this way or whether it's just me.

usafwso

I have a massive flight jacket and flight gear collection that I want to start thinning way, way down. Too many things can become a burden and complicate life. Probably 200+ jackets; a lot of high altitude flight gear and such. Wish I could sell it as a lot instead of piecemeal. Took 30+ years to acquire it all. Also have an antique Mercedes that is simply too much of a bother to deal with anymore. Simplification is the key especially when getting older.

johnwayne

Ironic this thread as I’ve been thinking exactly the same about off loading some gear, mainly jackets! As I’ve aged my other half joked that all my ‘brown’ jackets will end up in the charity shops come the day! To that end I even compiled a list, now pinned to the inside of the wardrobe door stating what they are and nominal values inc of my username/pw for this forum!!
Maybe one of my lads will take on one or two but yes time to consider what to move on in the not too distant future.

John Lever

I have a massive flight jacket and flight gear collection that I want to start thinning way, way down. Too many things can become a burden and complicate life. Probably 200+ jackets; a lot of high altitude flight gear and such. Wish I could sell it as a lot instead of piecemeal. Took 30+ years to acquire it all. Also have an antique Mercedes that is simply too much of a bother to deal with anymore. Simplification is the key especially when getting older.
I feel fine now

CBI

although I could always be talked into one more Good Wear, I do love no longer having the closet full of unworn jackets. When I sold those 13 jackets as a group for a song, it was totally worth it. I am down to three leathers a Good Wear, a Bronson A-1 and an original RW plus some cloth. also selling all of my flight jacket books as a lot was well worth it!

Kermit3D

Really interesting thread. Full of common sense and relevant thoughts.
I only have 5 jackets... but I don't plan to sell anything, I care too much. I guess I've started to go downhill, and I'm thinking "so far so good".

By the way, in September I will be 40 years old. It seems that we normally go through a crisis at this age: the famous midlife crisis
I seriously need to think about a really cool crisis! I'm open to suggestions.

Pa12

Really interesting thread. Full of common sense and relevant thoughts.
I only have 5 jackets... but I don't plan to sell anything, I care too much. I guess I've started to go downhill, and I'm thinking "so far so good".

By the way, in September I will be 40 years old. It seems that we normally go through a crisis at this age: the famous midlife crisis
I seriously need to think about a really cool crisis! I'm open to suggestions.
Enjoy it. 40’s are the best time of your life. If I could be one age for ever it would be early 40’s.

mulceber

Personally, I think the middle age crisis is a bit of a myth. I know for myself it simply took until I was in my 40’s and 50’s to be able to afford some of the things I wanted in my 20’s.
That's a neat perspective on it - and it would totally make sense. Guys hit their 40s and can suddenly afford all the stuff they've wanted all their life, but everyone around them is blindsided by it and says "where the hell did this come from?" And suddenly, a mid-life crisis is a thing that we talk about.

Pa12

That's a neat perspective on it - and it would totally make sense. Guys hit their 40s and can suddenly afford all the stuff they've wanted all their life, but everyone around them is blindsided by it and says "where the hell did this come from?" And suddenly, a mid-life crisis is a thing that we talk about.
Exactly. My Mustang for example. Wanted one since I saw bullit in 1969 at 9 years old. Finally got one at 52 after 2 years of rebuilding one. That’s only one example.
But messing around with affairs and stuff at that age , well that might be a middle age crisis. And more dangerous then any car;)

Pa12

Good thing I am not in the US or the temptation would possibly be irresistible. Fortunately, Brexit ensures that the import duties serve as a safety catch on the impulses!
For me it’s the exchange rate. Recently bought a headset from the states. 399 us. By the time you add the exchange rate, tax, shipping it was 750 Canadian. Whenever I see things for sale in the states I know it’s going to be almost double for me.

Members online

Latest posts