• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking maybe I need to thin the herd...

Smithy

Thanks guys for all the opinions, I really appreciate all your ideas and thoughts on this.

Even before all this stuff with my getting back into martial arts and my Zen practicing sensei, I had found myself over the last couple of years getting more and more annoyed by how much stuff I had - jackets, books, etc, etc.

This is a very personal thing but I'm finding for myself at this point in my life that I want less possessions rather than more. I want a few nice things that I enjoy rather than cupboardfuls and shelves full of stuff which just take up space and clutter where I live and my life.

My priorities have changed and that idea of having lots of stuff doesn't hold the same appeal as it did a number of years back.

Pa12

Thanks guys for all the opinions, I really appreciate all your ideas and thoughts on this.

Even before all this stuff with my getting back into martial arts and my Zen practicing sensei, I had found myself over the last couple of years getting more and more annoyed by how much stuff I had - jackets, books, etc, etc.

This is a very personal thing but I'm finding for myself at this point in my life that I want less possessions rather than more. I want a few nice things that I enjoy rather than cupboardfuls and shelves full of stuff which just take up space and clutter where I live and my life.

My priorities have changed and that idea of having lots of stuff doesn't hold the same appeal as it did a number of years back.
Me too. Most of it collecting dust. Like I said, living lean , just the good stuff, and I know exactly where it all is makes me a happy camper now.

mulceber

See, when I think about thinning the herd, the thought process goes something like this...

"Well, obviously I need one of every type of jacket the AAF issued, and at least 2 A-2 jackets..."
"Ok...how many jackets is that..?"
"Oh, don't forget about Navy jackets! You want at least one from each era - WW2, Korea, Vietnam!"
"Maybe I'd better stop trying to cull the herd - I might end up owning more jackets." o_O

Pa12

See, when I think about thinning the herd, the thought process goes something like this...

"Well, obviously I need one of every type of jacket the AAF issued, and at least 2 A-2 jackets..."
"Ok...how many jackets is that..?"
"Oh, don't forget about Navy jackets! You want at least one from each era - WW2, Korea, Vietnam!"
"Maybe I'd better stop trying to cull the herd - I might end up owning more jackets." o_O
Yeah, I think some of you guys should just scrap the idea and enjoy your jackets. I sense future sellers remorse. Maybe later when your an old fart…like me;)

Shanghai-Mayne

I also need to invest in a new iaito (and good ones aren't cheap) so getting rid of some things and selling what I can of them just makes sense.

Less is more!
Japanese sword, especially Iaido training sword, their value decrease as time goes by.

Greg Gale

Tim, I have that thought very often too - especially with me being in the tropics, 10000 miles from my jackets.

The problem is, I also have the feeling that I need one more ‘ultimate’ jacket ao that I can get rid of 2 not so good ones :)

Brettafett

I occasionally assess my stuff, jackets, clothing, books, collectibles... whatever... and look to thin out... Declutter.
Its a good thing.
I will be moving a couple of jackets on in the near future, when I have time, but for the most part I've already whittled down to a small collection that I love.
Taken me years and too much money to finally get stuff I like, that fits well and I enjoy wearing.

One can only wear one jacket at a a time, but one can also cycle through what you have. Extending the life of them all.
Hobbies, passions and interests are essential to enjoying life, and if thats 20 flight jackets or just one jacket, plus a bunch of other stuff, its all fine.
As long as its all kept in perspective.

If it fits and you wear it, keep it. Anything that does not fit well, or is not getting love or not being worn... move it on.

For me, now, it's more about trying to cease and desist. Stop buying more jackets (besides the GW of course)...

B-Man2

mulceber

A while back I wrote a post about what I had learned over the years about this hobby of ours . The post was intended to be a light hearted comical look at jacket collecting but we seem to be discussing a lot of what was contained in that post . For those of you who have read it please disregard this post , but for some of the newer guys who missed it you can read it below .

Burt, that thread is a VLJ classic. Anyone who hasn't read it should.

Shanghai-Mayne

A while back I wrote a post about what I had learned over the years about this hobby of ours . The post was intended to be a light hearted comical look at jacket collecting but we seem to be discussing a lot of what was contained in that post . For those of you who have read it please disregard this post , but for some of the newer guys who missed it you can read it below .

It is really a good one, true wisdom learnt from life.