• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

ausreenactor

I just saw the cap thread. I picked up some very good used ELC caps from France for a very reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180833065655?ss ... 1439.l2649

All are a perfect fit! Best multi buy in a while. Think the ELC B-1 and A-3 are out of production. My MASH A-3
is 1/4 size too big, but has done more road Kms and soaked up more perspiration than any in WWII would have.

Couchy

Andrew

Wow Trev, what a catch but how the hell did you find it? :?

I bought an RAAF ball cap recently, well worn and salty, actually too much for me. Pretty much the same shape as these, brim has a centre crease where it's been folded and worn, navy blue and has embroidered in gold thread "25 SQN"(with below that) "City of Perth". Unknown date but i'd say 60's/70's. I'll post a shot tomorrow but i'm going to sell it for what I paid -$20 if anyone here's interested.

This is the auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140697380125?ss ... 1497.l2649

I think i'll just get one of Daves when he's ready.

dmar836

Here is the modded pattern, now corrected. I also changed the side panels to tan. I saw one in a B&W crew photo at a local collector's place recently.
This is a bit loose on me but these can really cause a headache if too tight with that stiff visor. I am now using a more flexible material so that will be less of a problem.

8e3a65b8.jpg

8f4e2525.jpg

Dave

dmar836

Couchy, Any seamstress should be able to resize that Mash A-3 pretty easily.

BTW, has anyone we seen any of the multicolor B-1s in photos?

Dave

dmar836

Tom,
It's a replica I built a few years ago. I designed it and fabricated most everything including the frame, sheet metal, etc. Configured it with a Vanguard V twin and a variable speed drive. Likely as dangerous as the originals!
Dave

ausreenactor

dmar836 said:
Tom,
It's a replica I built a few years ago. I designed it and fabricated most everything including the frame, sheet metal, etc. Configured it with a Vanguard V twin and a variable speed drive. Likely as dangerous as the originals!
Dave

I think you are many of many talents! Maybe you could enhance your fortune there?

Couchy

dmar836

Rebuilt the worn B-1 with new visor material and sweatband. I think I like the old kid skin better.
Also dyed some wool a nice navy blue and laid out a squadron cap. The grommets and visor stitching(on a blazing machine) are a little much so I'll likely fix that with a matching thread. I plan to stitch the grommets using an accessory I built while on college but just got lazy on this one. We'll see how it turns out. In true aviation cap theory, this one will have no top button. Those can really hurt!
4e36c483.jpg

Dave

Dave

deand

Wonderful work! Six panels, no? Love to see you try 8. Nobody makes repros of those! Keep up the good work!

dean

dmar836

The 8 panel wouldn't be a derivation of anything I have. I need to make a pattern first. I can hardly keep my mind on one design for more than a cap or two as it is. I did pick up some red wool though.
I read somewhere that the 6 panel replaced the 8 panel in the late 30s for reasons of better fit. Doesn't make sense but...
Replaced the white with OD thread but it isn't up to my standards so I might rebuild the visor.
Dave

Stony

Looking forward to some squadron caps soon. Will you take squadron specific orders or just make some generic ones?

dmar836

Stony,

Good timing as I have thought a bit more about this lately. I never really planned on taking orders as such. With the time involved, these certainly couldn't be profitable - not for me anyway. I like the hand made idea and the throwback to the way things were more carefully created - warts, variations and all.

I have learned that the cost of my time far exceeds what I can get out of a cap, even at high-end prices. Add custom embroidery, name tags, etc., and a handmade, custom cap would cost hundreds in time alone. Also, with our discerning tastes, one would be instantly open to criticism. I don't like that and I know this is ever evolving with different materials, equipment, and skills.

There is a reason there are no makers out there with hand made custom insignia caps using period correct patterns and materials - none of us would pay the price required so the market is just too small. It also explains why there are only a handful who make nice basic caps at a premium price and then why there are many more who make mass produced caps with various materials that just have the basic look. Ever notice how ELC periodically discontinues carrying designs? It just isn't self sustaining at some point from one side or the other.

Off my high horse and back to the caps, I think I prefer to make variations and things a bit different than what is commonly available. Eventually, I may have a few here and there that I will eventually sell off but taking custom orders might make me the bad guy eventually.

Honestly, for those who don't care about hand made stuff or period materials, those $25-35 repros on Ebay are a steal! 99.9% will never know or care if you paid $25 or $125. In fact, many would think you are crazy for paying the higher.

I'll certainly keep throwing things up here as I go.

That was kind of downer post, huh?

Dave