• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

dmar836

Proto done and freshly steamed. Like the B-1 it will take a couple to find the groove and modify the pattern to my liking. Most of this was borrowed from my A-3 cap pattern. The bill is long looking due to the iPhone lens - it is fairly short. I will wear it in the hangar today and hopefully it will get the broken in look.
24d26e43.jpg

3f5f1637.jpg

40a18eb2.jpg

Dave

Otter

Yes, that looks good, thought it would not look as good as your previous but when I see it in context it looks very good indeed.

fishmeok

Great work- Also realized looking at that last pic it's been 9 years since I worked on a Cessna or any other a/c. I really do miss the smell of Avgas in the morning....

Not so much Jet A though.

Cheers
Mark

dmar836

Well, I'm im just ot sure. I'm a bit elated right now since I just completed
my first cross country flight(wearing an A-2, and this cap, no less) but I really am not sure. Most likely I will make them first and sell them off as needed. Bespoke caps sounds like a way to gain enemies.
Also, I got a good review from another VFJ member today - which means more than about anything else!
I know my previous post downs me making these but I do enjoy the process and would love to see others get to wear them like I do....... As long as I don't go broke!

Dave

deand

Wait 'til Dave gets an 8 panel to to disect and pattern. Then he'll really have a niche item to provide for the nylon jacket crowd especially. The 8 panel is as rare as they come. And one will be coming, as soon as the issue is, how shall we say, 'addressed'.

dean

fishmeok

Very cool- how hard it it to sew the bowl shape? I assume you are using a flatbed machine?

Cheers
Mark

dmar836

There is a bit of a learning curve to it..... wait that could have been a pun. Actually, it isn't too bad as long as the dished side is up. Attaching the bill is a bit of a trick but the sweat band stitching not interfering with the bill is most concerning.

A

Anonymous

When are these wonderful caps going to hit the market? DMAR DRY GOODS.