• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

deand

The inside of the red cap above:
KGrHqVlsE65gHLWfFBO91HfKnw60_3.jpg

The one I want to re-produce:

25th.jpg

dean

dmar836

I've been wearing the one on the left for the past two weeks. I have seen a few period pics with two-toned B-1s so this was my take. If I bang out a size 7 1/8(22 1/4"') I keep it, if too large(I always error on that side) I will sell it. I think it's twin(firstborn) is on the site FS in about a 7 3/8".
The one on the right is a dyed B-1 with a pigskin sweatband about size 7 3/8". I had made a tan B-1(USN look) but didn't care for the look of it so dyed it just before adding the sweatband. I had hopes of white wool letters on the front but it's too large for me. What do you all think? Do you like the dyed colors? It isn't perfect but I will likely put this one on the site for sale too.

1359669550.jpg

1359669521.jpg

Stony

I want the dyed one also or any other ones you make that are in the 7 3/8-7 1/2 range.

Nice work!

dmar836

Stony,
For some reason I make most of them that size instead of the 7 1/8" I'm trying for! The shape of the crown makes them difficult to measure until they are done. I believe the originals were all one pattern closed differently at the back. Unfortunately, this can't be done once the band is in.

I am having a heck of a time finding the correct material even if I dye it myself. I have a little of the tan left so might play with some more colors while looking for some more good stuff to dye green. I get rusty with the machines when I stop.

I have posted these two caps and a little about them on the blog.

http://usaafflightcaps.blogspot.com/

Dave

dmar836

chitchat said:
Can I place my order now?

LOL. Not until I find that perfect material! What were you interested in? Bone stock B-1 or modded version? I want to do a few field rigger-made caps too.

Dave

a2jacketpatches

Dave,
I've got a few of those large totes full of material from toasted WW2 uniforms, bags, tarps etc. And two totes full of period felt and wool. I just might have what you need along with my special recipes for dying olive and olive drab with Jacquard Procion dye. Send a sample and I'll see what I got. I'd love a theater made something or other cap in trade if I have what you need. I'm sure you could use some period felt in colors for cap insignia anyway.

Stony

Stony,
For some reason I make most of them that size instead of the 7 1/8" I'm trying for! The shape of the crown makes them difficult to measure until they are done. I believe the originals were all one pattern closed differently at the back. Unfortunately, this can't be done once the band is in.

I am having a heck of a time finding the correct material even if I dye it myself. I have a little of the tan left so might play with some more colors while looking for some more good stuff to dye green. I get rusty with the machines when I stop.

I have posted these two caps and a little about them on the blog.

http://usaafflightcaps.blogspot.com/

Dave

I'm pretty much interested in all the examples I've seen so far. I like the dyed cap, but the B-1 is really cool too. Either or is fine.

dmar836

Thanks, Dean.
I'm sorry I missed that post. Now that I see it all I can say is that Spearhead is nothing more than a shell for cheap Chinese-made copies of copies to sneak in on the heels of those doing the actual research and work. Mash is the only place I have seen this cap referenced and, surprise, Spearhead quotes them verbatim.
I'm sorry to be so negative but this is pathetic. This proves my suspicion of why Spearhead can't get patterns correct. Third generation copies, like paper copies, are seldom more than fuzzy and poorly defined guesses. Weather a B-10 jacket, that A-3 cap, or this, I can almost guarantee it is anything but an accurate pattern. I tend to doubt they even purchase the repros they copy but rather just guess off pictures. I did that in college with a few kites and with an SS smock. To the unaware they pass but they would never hold up in person to what I copied. To do this for profit is unethical in every way and the lack of discretion of consumers or just lust for cheap crap is what has allowed this import imbalance - of inferior goods. Thank goodness I'm not a business pressured by this junk. I wonder how much of Juan's business is diluted by these pirates? Juan, Sean, JC, all our cottage industry guys, have to compete with this and they have to put food on the table trying to make stuff the right way.
And for us to fall for it any more would be encouraging this deception by people who obviously care nothing about accuracy or history. And yet we beat down on American business every chance we get. Hmmfft!
Rant over!
Where were we? Oh, no Dean, I must have missed your post.
Dave
P.S. Can I shut down a friendly topic or what?

deand

dmar836 said:
Thanks, Dean.
I'm sorry I missed that post. Now that I see it all I can say is that Spearhead is nothing more than a shell for cheap Chinese-made copies of copies to sneak in on the heels of those doing the actual research and work. Mash is the only place I have seen this cap referenced and, surprise, Spearhead quotes them verbatim.
I'm sorry to be so negative but this is pathetic. This proves my suspicion of why Spearhead can't get patterns correct. Third generation copies, like paper copies, are seldom more than fuzzy and poorly defined guesses. Weather a B-10 jacket, that A-3 cap, or this, I can almost guarantee it is anything but an accurate pattern. I tend to doubt they even purchase the repros they copy but rather just guess off pictures. I did that in college with a few kites and with an SS smock. To the unaware they pass but they would never hold up in person to what I copied. To do this for profit is unethical in every way and the lack of discretion of consumers or just lust for cheap crap is what has allowed this import imbalance - of inferior goods. Thank goodness I'm not a business pressured by this junk. I wonder how much of Juan's business is diluted by these pirates? Juan, Sean, JC, all our cottage industry guys, have to compete with this and they have to put food on the table trying to make stuff the right way.
And for us to fall for it any more would be encouraging this deception by people who obviously care nothing about accuracy or history. And yet we beat down on American business every chance we get. Hmmfft!
Rant over!
Where were we? Oh, no Dean, I must have missed your post.
Dave
P.S. Can I shut down a friendly topic or what?

Rant at will! You are among friends here! (NEXT TIME USE ALL CAPS! :D ) I doubted the veracity of that thing. They even have camo versions! :roll: Just keep makin' caps! Love your blog BTW.

dean

dmar836

Florian's cap modded with snaps. Not just for looks - they work .
Off to Germany but the gear stays here!

Dave

Stony

Off to Germany but the gear stays here!

Cool! I lived in Germany for five years by the time I was ten. I'm hoping to go back before the music is over.

Have fun!

Not WWII vintage but I bought this cap in the Ship's store on board the USS Enterprise in the 70's. I like it because it's a nice quality all wool cap. I've never seen another one like it.

10152925_10153128893592316_743972638_n.jpg

dmar836

That's a nice one. Same material I made my squadron caps from. My fav.
I also like the asymmetry where the bill meets the crown. If I did that, I would be criticized but it isn't uncommon(nor difficult to achieve). You just can't beat an old cap like that!
Dave